Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New master, line, and slave still wont shift at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New master, line, and slave still wont shift at WOT

I am having problems with my clutch and shifting. Its getting very very old and makes me want to go back to an automatic. The clutch is a ls6 package, flywheel, PP, and disk. I get one good shift out of it and then its retarted for a while and wont kick the pedal all the way back and doesnt want to shift. I was just wandering if anyone else has had these problems with the ls6 setup. It feels like it slips for a split second till the PP clamps back down on the disk again. Like 1/10th of a second of slip and its clamped back down. I have another ls6 PP im gonna put on probably tomorrow or maybe tonight. But does anyone else think this could be the PP causing this. Also i shift at around 6500-6600 rpms.

Jon
Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do the drill mod?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

How well did you bleed the hydros?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Launching!

I bled the **** out of them with a mity vac. And its a after market 3an line so no drill mod. I have been having this problem for a long time. And the clutch has been bled countless times. I had this issue before the new motor it just wasnt as bad I am pretty sure that the more rpms I am turning now are making this worse. Also the is pretty much zero chance that im getting the fluid too hot because i have the clutch line running through the firewall into the cab and back out the trans tunnel.

Jon
Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

The best way to bleed it is with a speed bleeder. Forget the mighty vac.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try something other than a stock clutch...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd put money on the pressure plate. I just had a similar issue with an LS6 setup on mine. It would shift just fine at normal speeds, but when I accelerated hard, the clutch pedal would get stiff and not disengage the clutch above 4500rpm's. Then I'd have to pump the pedal several times to get it to disengage. I just replaced the whole flywheel/clutch with a Monster Level III. Now I'm a happy camper.

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Can you see the PP being defective when the tranny comes out? i have a similar issue in my cammed CTS-V im running a 7 month old ls7 setup and every since its been cammed i can only slam 1st to 2nd above 5k any other gear when i go to shift i feel like im pulling it out of gear sometimes and it will not going in any other gear untill i lift the pedal and pump it
Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have u had ur syncros checked.... I had the same problem but went with the LS7 Kit and regular AutoZone Hydro's. Problem solved...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Bleed the **** with a Vac, did you possibly destroy the hydrolics? I use a mighty vac but Dont get that hard into it-
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slowrollin93
I bled the **** out of them with a mity vac. And its a after market 3an line so no drill mod. I have been having this problem for a long time. And the clutch has been bled countless times. I had this issue before the new motor it just wasnt as bad I am pretty sure that the more rpms I am turning now are making this worse. Also the is pretty much zero chance that im getting the fluid too hot because i have the clutch line running through the firewall into the cab and back out the trans tunnel.

Jon
No matter how you route the line, wrap it, or whatever you will still heat the fluid at the slave itself with a slipping clutch. Get a clutch that will hold up to your power level and weight. Put a new slave in it while you're there. We sell a ton of Monsters and Specs, just let me know if theres anything we can do for you.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frankmarroquin
Have u had ur syncros checked.... I had the same problem but went with the LS7 Kit and regular AutoZone Hydro's. Problem solved...
less than 15k miles ago the transmission was rebuilt by Jason at TDP so I doubt its my syncros and it only happens at WOT at high rpms. I have narrowed it down to a clutch though.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
I'm thinking that the culprit is your clutch. The LS6 was not designed to hold the power you are making, or the weight of your truck. I would start looking around for an aftermarket set up.
My LS6 clutch did not last long at all in my GTO after I did a cam. It would allow me to do a 1-2 and sometimes a 2-3 shift then the clutch pedal would become a brick, and I would have to wait a few seconds for it to loosen up and to be able to shift again.
I replaced it with an LS7 and after a few months that started to slip and I noticed my car getting slower. Now I have a Monster Clutch, and the shifts feel great! No slipping, and the car honestly feels faster, probably because I'm able to get the full power to the wheels now.
Funny how people down play the stock clutch. Listen I have a LS6 clutch in my camaro and its a DD also been to the track nurmous times at least 200+ track it put down 335HP/350TQ. (that's at least 400 at the crank) passes and the first thing to go out was the rear end. So I highly don't think its the clutch unless you installed it wrong user error..!!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WARP211
Funny how people down play the stock clutch. Listen I have a LS6 clutch in my camaro and its a DD also been to the track nurmous times at least 200+ track it put down 335HP/350TQ. (that's at least 400 at the crank) passes and the first thing to go out was the rear end. So I highly don't think its the clutch unless you installed it wrong user error..!!
You've had good luck with it, and you're at around stock power level for an LS6. Its not a bad clutch but mine lasted about 6k highway miles and no track passes at 425rwhp. Like someone mentioned about, IF it starts to slip the heat will kill it really quickly.

Quick Reply: New master, line, and slave still wont shift at WOT