Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What do I need to mate a 5.3 LH6 to a t56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to mate a 5.3 LH6 to a t56?

I bought a 2008 5.3 LH6 this last weekend and I would like to mate a six speed to it. I am wondering what I would need to do this. I have the flywheel that came with it. How will the DOD and computer react to a manual transmission as a manual transmission wasn't an option (at least I don't think it was)? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Really you wouldn't need that computer for a T56... It is standard. And you would need the M6 Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bell Housing, and ofcourse the tranny itself. Oh forgetting the hydro's and the pedals. Its really easy to do the conversion just a bit time consuming not much though.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Teching In

I bought a t56 with a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and pedals out of a 98 camaro ss. Tranny has 64k miles on it. Soon I will start assembly (the fun part).
Old 06-22-2009, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JRAIDER
I bought a t56 with a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and pedals out of a 98 camaro ss. Tranny has 64k miles on it. Soon I will start assembly (the fun part).

Personally would not use a used clutch setup or hydraulics (ESPECIALLY the hydraulics). While it is out, woould put new stuff in, again, ESPECIALLY the slave. The stock stuff is crap anyway, and teh stock stuff with high mileage is a ticking time bomb
Other than that, sounds like you got everything in order...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Personally would not use a used clutch setup or hydraulics (ESPECIALLY the hydraulics). While it is out, woould put new stuff in, again, ESPECIALLY the slave. The stock stuff is crap anyway, and teh stock stuff with high mileage is a ticking time bomb
Other than that, sounds like you got everything in order...
I can understand why you would advise me to install a new clutch, pressure plate and resurface the flywheel, but why wouldn't I want to use the 98 camaro's slave cylinder? I mean 64K miles isn't really that many miles in my book, especially for a slave clyinder?//? Please enlighten me. I don't claim to be a expert, but I do know a little.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The slave is the most important of them to replace. More problems come from the slave than the others and it would be a BITCH to replace just to save a few dollars.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JRAIDER
I can understand why you would advise me to install a new clutch, pressure plate and resurface the flywheel, but why wouldn't I want to use the 98 camaro's slave cylinder? I mean 64K miles isn't really that many miles in my book, especially for a slave clyinder?//? Please enlighten me. I don't claim to be a expert, but I do know a little.
Well, teh stock slave cylinder is not the easiest thing in the world to change, since you have to remove the tranny to do it. 2nd, because of the cost of a new slave, considering teh labor you have to go through to change, to me is pennies. 3rd, the stock slave is not the most reliable part to begin with, AND then you add alot of miles to it, and again, just not worth it. If I was to reuse parts, it would be the MC, just because it is easier to change than a slave (or teh clutch obviously) I am not one to save a few bucks on something that is pain to change out. If I have something like a tranny out, I am gonna put new stuff in, not run the risk on used stuff. Not worth my time, as my time is worth money

Originally Posted by squee
The slave is the most important of them to replace. More problems come from the slave than the others and it would be a BITCH to replace just to save a few dollars.

Yep, exactly.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Point noted.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Back to the original question: Will the computer work with a manual? I know GM wasn't happy with the harmonics or noise. I do remember the LH6 has a separate computer for the engine and transmission.

I was hoping GM would have the Gen Vs with Direct Injection out by now, by as they day is taking longer to get here the LH6 and this new version with VVT look more appealing.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Bump... I'd even be happy to flip a toggle to engage DOD/AFM at cruise. Anyway played with this feature in a stick yet? Also, what is the safe rpm with the DOD lifters? I know a lot of performance guys were scared of this feature, but the fuel savings in a street cruiser are hard to ignore.

Quick Reply: What do I need to mate a 5.3 LH6 to a t56?