Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

La-la-land between 3rd and 5th gear..

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question La-la-land between 3rd and 5th gear..

So Ive installed my Pro 5.0 shifter and Ive been to the track a couple times since.

Its happened 3 times now... at the track.. aggressively shifting. Ill go from 2nd to "3rd" and Ill let out the clutch only to find the car free revs. The thing is its deffinately NOT in the nuetral area.. when Im shifting the shifter DEFFINATELY gets stuffed somewhere cause its not in the center, nuetral.

I had someone tell me that theyve seen it happen before.. that you can actually bend the shifting forks, inside the tranny, by stuffing 3rd too hard. Basically it goes into a "la-la-land" between 3rd and 5th gear and even causes the reverse lights to come on. I know this is happening to me cause someone saw my reverse lights but its DEFFINATELY not in reverse. When I throw it to where I think is 3rd and let out the clutch it just revs... if it was actually reverse I would know it.

Soooo.. anyone know what Im talking about? Ive talked to a couple people that have seen this happen and a couple people said it only happened with Pro 5.0 shifters. Then some say "bent shift forks" yet the Pro5.0 has the stoppers that are supposed to prevent that, right?

Anyone know anything about this? Have you had this happen with your Pro 5.0? Or your Ripper? Or stock?

Ive had people say different things.. hydrolics, shifter, shift forks, etc.

Where should I start.. drill out mod? TIA
Old 11-10-2003, 11:55 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a pro 5.0 it did the same thing to me a few times and also wanted to grind a little even though the clutch was depressed(2-3). I changed to a B&M Ripper I had had one before and loved it. Well I love it again it is a little longer throw ofcourse I could cut some threads off but I left it alone. It is 100 times smoother no grinding no La-La-land and I have NEVER MISSED A GEAR! I stress this because I had with the Pro 5.0 several times at the track and also had some 2-5 messups. Not one time have I had another issue. I am very consistent at the track and when just driving around I am relaxed and not woried about it not being in the right gear just my .02. I thought it was just the difference in year models, but I found my problem to be the shifter. I bought the B&M in the classifieds and sold the 5.0 the same was it was an even exchange just a thought.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Oh and by the way I have an 02 with no drill mod and I have not found it to be caused by anything else. It could just be me but I don't think so! To each there own but the cheapest thing is to try my suggestion of tring another shifter make your own assumption and you can pick a B&M up for @$100 or less for one in great shape. Try to go into your trany for that amount. Good Luck let me know if you have anymore questions , but it sounds just like the problems I was having with the 5.0.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Oh and by the way I have an 02 with no drill mod and I have not found it to be caused by anything else. It could just be me but I don't think so! To each there own but the cheapest thing is to try my suggestion of tring another shifter make your own assumption and you can pick a B&M up for @$100 or less for one in great shape. Try to go into your trany for that amount. Good Luck let me know if you have anymore questions , but it sounds just like the problems I was having with the 5.0.
I had this same problem, reverse lights and everything with my stock 98 m6. Stock shifter too. I switched to the pro5o and zero problems since. Oh yea and it also helped me learning how to drive too
Old 11-10-2003, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help.. and suggestions. I guess Ill try a Ripper.. I have a friend that said the same thing happened to him with a Pro5.0.. he went to a ripper and hasnt had a problem since. Then I read this article: www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/39021 and it makes a lot of sense so I was gonna do the drill out mod, looks like it could fix it and wont hurt to do anyways.

This kinda sucks cause Ive felt both shifters.. and I deffinately like the notchy short throw that the Pro 5.0 has but screw it if it causing this problem.

BTW.. Inspector.. your S/N looked familiar.. guess who bought your old Pro 5.0.

Weird how we both have 02s.. both had the same EXACT shifter.. and the same exact problem.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

I had the same problem and I had to have the trany rebuilt to take care of the problem. It had a bent shift fork.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this happen a few times with my Pro 5.0. Only when shifting from 1-3 (not quickly, just leisurely cruising). I've also put it in 5th a ton of times accidentally. I need a new shifter, the Pro 5.0 is too wussy. I wish Breathless made a shifter for the f-bod, my vette's breathless shifter is PERFECT.

Dope
Old 11-11-2003, 07:56 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well sorry to here your having problems I could not find any thing wrong with their shifter I bought it new from MTI and it was recomended to me over the B&M Ripper. I did not sell you a bad shifter. It works great I just had the same issues you are having with that said I also miss the shorter notchy feel on the 5.0 but I have found the RIpper to be better than the Hurst billet and the Pro 5.0 that I tried before the ripper. That is over all it was more consistent. Also
I thought it might have been my driving style like MNSS was suggesting, but who really knows I did not sell you that shifter with the intention that it was the problem I did not even get my Ripper installed until after I sold you the shifter this is my weekend car not my daily driver. I feel bad that you are having the same issues but apparently other have had simular problems so good luck! I never read that article though maybe that will fix it? I am installing a new Spec stage 3 I am going to do it at this time also. Oh and my best pass has been 13.13 @109Mph see ya!

Last edited by Inspector12; 11-11-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

No worries..I wasnt implying that ya screwed me... Im just upset that it may be a design flaw or something.

I already have a couple people in line to buy it if I do sell it anyways... and they have even seen the problems Ive had with it.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I don't think la-la land between 3rd and 5th is caused by the shifter. I've been researching the t56 rebuild threads because I want to rebuild mine. Anyways, I believe in one of those threads someone mentioned that this mystery gear occurs sometimes because of the way the internal gates are set up. He even showed a pic of what is happening in there. Ill see if I can find it.

I ususlly find this mystery gear when I'm cruising on the highway in 6th and need to do a quick downshift to 3rd to pass somebody or a give a quick beating to a mustang. It became very frustrating, so now I just pop it out of 6th, give the shifter a split second to go to N, then jam it straight up in to 3rd. No more la-la land.

Oh yeah, in case you're wondering, I have the stock Hurst shifter w/ shortstick.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:08 PM
9 Second Club

I use to have that problem too but I learned how to shift better and the problem is gone. Not saying yall dont know how to shift but all my other fbodys where a4's. So when I got the m6 I had that problem but I have learned just to shift steady through it.

Quick Reply: La-la-land between 3rd and 5th gear..