Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TEX 101A (or other NASCAR trans) setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Kix
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEX 101A (or other NASCAR trans) setup?

Hello... new here, and amazed at all the info!!!

Has anyone mounted a TEX 101A or other similar NASCAR trans to an LS with a standard chevy belhousing? I am curious what clutch/TO/pilot etc.... and how it all worked out... mostly, did you run into any unforseen snags along the way?

Thanks....

Kix
Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Kix
Staging Lane

bump...
Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kix
Hello... new here, and amazed at all the info!!!

Has anyone mounted a TEX 101A or other similar NASCAR trans to an LS with a standard chevy belhousing? I am curious what clutch/TO/pilot etc.... and how it all worked out... mostly, did you run into any unforseen snags along the way?

Thanks....

Kix
It can be done....there are not a lot of options though. I am buying a Tilton Magnesium NASCAR bellhousing from an eBay used NASCAR parts guy. Problem is it only fits a 153 tooth flywheel....LS motors use 168....so I had to call Tilton and they make a flywheel that will accept a 5.5" triple disk clutch for around $750, but you need a special $450 starter with that. All this stuff was made for World Challenge Corvettes. Not a cheap proposition.

Also, the triple disk pretty much rules out street driving....
Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Those magnesium bell housings are quite nice.. and you can find them for great prices on ebay... problem is they are designed for SB2 Nascar engines, not LS series engines. For one, the bolt holes are too small for the metric hardware the LSx uses. You probably could make it work, but I have never seen it done.

I have a GForce GF4A built by Tex Racing on my LS1 and I used this bell housing to adapt:
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=228851

With this housing you can use 'oem style' clutches and flywheels, as well as the oem starter.

You will need a hydraulic TOB like the QuarterMaster Street, and a bearing retainer for the front of the transmission.

People are quick to want these transmissions as they can be had for about $500 more than a T56... but you need to remember you need at least $750 worth of bell housing and other parts to make it work.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Teching In

I have the LS motor in the car now. I have bolted up the Tilton Magnesium bellhousing with no issues. The bolt holes were not an issue, they seem the right size. I am using the Tilton style release bearing with a Quartermaster triple disk clutch, so using the OEM style bellhousing was not an issue.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I have the LS motor in the car now. I have bolted up the Tilton Magnesium bellhousing with no issues. The bolt holes were not an issue, they seem the right size. I am using the Tilton style release bearing with a Quartermaster triple disk clutch, so using the OEM style bellhousing was not an issue.

What pilot bearing did you use?
Can you give more details of your setup?
Did you use a flexplate and a button or a fullsize flywheel?

I am in the process of doing this myself and am glad to hear from somebody that has actually done this...
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joelamite
What pilot bearing did you use?
Can you give more details of your setup?
Did you use a flexplate and a button or a fullsize flywheel?

I am in the process of doing this myself and am glad to hear from somebody that has actually done this...
Thanks.
Used a Tex 101a and the Tilton Magneseum bell housing from a NASCAR team. I had a Quartermaster 5.5" triple disc setup from before, had to buy a Tilton, World Challenge Corvette flywheel, clutch flywheel combo to fit in the small bell. It was not cheap. If I had gone a stock sized flywheel, I should have been able to go the flexplate option.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a BBC scatter sheild on my LS, and I have a tremec 5 spd bolted to it. this would be the same as any other trans that has the same input shaft dimensions as an oldschool gm 4spd. The BBC bell required 1 bolt to be left out.
I run a Ram, long style sintered iron drag clutch, with a mechanical clutch release linkage.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kix, Have done with your project Tex 4 spd.+ Bellhousing om Camaro?
I been think about to add 4 sppd manual from Gforce (used)+ Tifton Bellhousing+quartermaster clutches for my Camaro race car..

Quick Reply: TEX 101A (or other NASCAR trans) setup?