Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with air in the lines!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Exclamation Help with air in the lines!!

I've got a problem with my hydraulics somewhere, and I need help figuring out what's going on.

I've got a tick adjustable master, monster stage III clutch, new gm slave. I'm trying to bleed this thing but I can't get rid of the air! Right now, I'm using my mity-vac, and there is some major air in this thing. I've got the pedal adjusted pretty low to the floor, and when the clutch is at its normal resting position you can pull it back up just a hair. When you play with this slack in the pedal while having the mity vac hooked up, you can see like inch-long beeds of air coming out of the mity vac. If you cram your head under the dash and play with the pedal you can hear a faint squishy noise.

By slack in the pedal, I mean its like the pedal doesnt return all the way to the top of its range (and no I don't mean all the way back to the stock pedal height). If I grab the pedal with the top of my foot I can move it back and forth with almost no resistance, and while doing that I see some major air bubbling up from the reservior.

I've been doing this for about 20 minutes and it doesnt seem like its done giving up air. Am I sucking air in from somewhere? I really hope it isnt the slave . I did notice that when I put the hydraulic line into the slave that the little stem coming out where the line goes in seemed a little wobbly.

Help!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you bled it traditionally yet? After my slave cylinder install I used a mity vac and it seemed ok, but then I bled it traditionally and WOW it was pretty amazing what a traditional bleed will do sometimes.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah, plenty of times. I cut a hole in the floor pan of the car so I can reach the bleeder valve from inside the car. I'll bleed it for what seems like 10 minutes and it seems like its still getting air.

I'm not having issues getting it in gear, just engagement. It just doesnt seem to engage very smoothly.

I also didn't remove the spring at the top of the clutch pedal. Could this be part of the movement in the clutch pedal?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

I might mention also that I didn't bench bleed the master before I put it in. Even without bench bleeding though, is it even possible to have like 4 feet worth of air bubbles coming out over the course of 30 minutes?

Quick Reply: Help with air in the lines!!