Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

4th gear grinds, but force will make it engage

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gear grinds, but force will make it engage

Hey Everyone.

So last night, i started havign 4th gear issues.

Problem is, with 4th gear. It worked fine for 160miles of driving yesterday, but now when i shift into 4th, it will grind a bit, but if i pull it back into 4th with some force it will engage.

Im not sure why it just started to do this. Is it a fork issue?

appreciate the help
Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Banned

Could be a fork issue, could be bent syncro keys or it could be a failing syncro ring. It could also be a bad pilot bearing.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

The source seems to have nailed this one...but remember most pilot issues will affect more than a single gear. This really sounds like an internal transmission problem. But for the sake of argument, have you noticed any change in the pedal feel or clutch pedal engagement variance?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Not that it matters much, but you said you drove 160 miles yesterday, and THEN it started acting up, so did you JUST buy the car yesterday?

Or, you have owned the car for "X" period of time, and it just started acting up for the first time last night?

Really the only reason I ask is, if you JUST bought it, we don't have much history to go on, and that being said....

I still agree with thesource and spec.

If you just bought it, and maybe from a dealer, you could take it back and have them fix it???????
Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen414
Not that it matters much, but you said you drove 160 miles yesterday, and THEN it started acting up, so did you JUST buy the car yesterday?

Or, you have owned the car for "X" period of time, and it just started acting up for the first time last night?

Really the only reason I ask is, if you JUST bought it, we don't have much history to go on, and that being said....

I still agree with thesource and spec.

If you just bought it, and maybe from a dealer, you could take it back and have them fix it???????
Hey Guys,

I bought the transmission used, and i mated it to my 6.0L, and installed it into my '97 trans am.

The motor should be making about 475-500hp.

when i first drove it, i noted that every gear seemed to feel okay. First gear would engage, though it didnt feel like a hot knife through butter. It will engage, but you do have to push the shifter into gear (Not force it by any means)

This is the first T56 i have ever driven, so i do not have comparison to any other.

The grinding issue happens most often in 4th, but the odd time in 3rd, thought it doesnt help it every time.

If it grinds as i go to put it in gear, i can rev the motor up a bit, and then it will go into gear fine.

Like i siad, it doesnt always do it, sometimes it does, most times it doesnt.

Dad has also noted that he feels 4th gear feels notchey when it doesnt grind.

All opinions greatly appreciated!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Synchro issues sound like the most logical cause. Of course it could also be related to other internal parts...the down side is that you have to crack the tranny to locate the actual issue and then rebuild it accordingly. I know this answer isn't what you had likely hoped for but at least you have a better idea of what to look for.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Synchro issues sound like the most logical cause. Of course it could also be related to other internal parts...the down side is that you have to crack the tranny to locate the actual issue and then rebuild it accordingly. I know this answer isn't what you had likely hoped for but at least you have a better idea of what to look for.
I figured thats what would end up being the case.

I know the car is on the road for another 3 weeks before i take it off while i go to college.

Looks like during the winter ill pull the transmission and rebuild it.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 91ZLS6
I figured thats what would end up being the case.

I know the car is on the road for another 3 weeks before i take it off while i go to college.

Looks like during the winter ill pull the transmission and rebuild it.

Yes, as Spec said jsut now, it appears that you have an internal tranny issue, and probaly a synchro issue at that.

If you keep driving it until you pull it down, keep in mind that you CAN do more damage to teh tranny (alot of variables) and in doing so, the cost of a rebuild goes up.

So, food for thought.

Quick Reply: 4th gear grinds, but force will make it engage