Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Clutch Co.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Monster Clutch Co.

Hello all,

I cannot tell you how angry and embarrased I am to have to start this thread, however, it is a necessity with what has occured.

I have been on the phone with my engineers over the last 7 days mulling over the problems a few of you have been having with our clutches. We've gone through over 2000 units without a single issue and we've seem to have had a rash of about 8 issues on this forum and a couple others in other forums. I finally got to the bottom of the issue today.

There was a run of 28 pressure plates that were machined wrong due to a defective machine. I've gotten in touch with 16 of the customers with these units and am still waiting on the 8 remaining. Obviously this is a manfacturers defect and we will cover all the parts under warranty.

I ask that if you are having issues with your clutch disengaging please give us a call at the shop with your invoice number and we will send you an entire clutch for free.

Obviously we here at Monster want to offer you all the highest quality of product that is available in the industry today. Unfortunately we are not perfect and mistakes are made, it's how we rectify the situation that make us stand above the rest. Be assured that we have increased our quality control over our engineers and have "tightened up" our overall production runs to make damn sure that this never happens again. I sincerely apologize to the few here that have had this issue.

Please call the shop or email me directly at steve@monsterclutch.com to get your clutch taken care of. Please make certain that you have your invoice number handy when you call.

Steve Addison
Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This goes a long way toward building on an already great reputation! No one expects that there will never be problems, but alot of companies have a hard time admitting that they might possibly even have a problem or stepping up to fix it.

I applaud the efforts taken to correct the problem, it shows how good the customer service is from you guys!

Thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, not to knock any of the other fine clutch manufactures, but Monster just did the BIGGEST thing Ive EVER seen in the industry. Mistakes and mishaps happen. We all know that, but to stand up in front of 4 million people and accept responsibility says alot obout you and your company. Though the issue was very agravating, and it did suck. At least we all know that we are dealing with a real stand up company. Thanks Monster, SNL, (Steve and Matt...)
Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
FormerVendor

Yes guys, Monster does go a long way in providing the absolute best PRODUCT they can, as well as what few others can touch...their customer service. And is one of the reasons that I became a dealer for Monster Clutches, because of those reasons, AND the reason Steve just gave you...he (they) STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. No excuses thrown out there, just the facts.

On a side not, if I (my company) sold you one of these clutches, you can either call me directly if you would like and I can get teh situtation handled for you, so as to not swamp Steve and the guys any more than they already are.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gen414
Yes guys, Monster does go a long way in providing the absolute best PRODUCT they can, as well as what few others can touch...their customer service. And is one of the reasons that I became a dealer for Monster Clutches, because of those reasons, AND the reason Steve just gave you...he (they) STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. No excuses thrown out there, just the facts.

On a side not, if I (my company) sold you one of these clutches, you can either call me directly if you would like and I can get teh situtation handled for you, so as to not swamp Steve and the guys any more than they already are.

Thanks
I hate to say it "I told you so" lol sorry i just had to b/c in another thread you had stated not to come to conclusions and i needed to do more research, but on a side note. I really respect and appreciate the guys stepping up and admitting to problems and wanting to correct them. Steve I sent you an email with pics of the bent disk, I hope the links work and I left my cell number. Look forward to hearing back from you.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Steve should we just call you and you will send us another one?or we have to ship the old one back to you?

Last edited by F-Body Lover; 09-02-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call and explain the problem you are having, they will check your invoice to see if its within the time of the bad batch. If everything checks out they will send you a new clutch and ask that you send yours back.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am happy you guys were able to get to the bottom of it and I appreciate you fixing and addressing the problem. However, now I have to pay the labor of taking out and putting in a new clutch. I am not made of money and I have already spent a lot more than I should have, on repeated bleedings and even on a brand new tick mc that I also had to pay to get installed and have the car rebled again. I am literally all out of money and now Im going to have to pay again to install a new clutch because those pressure plates were defective. You guys have an awesome product and if you read any of my other posts I have done nothing but praise you guys and defend your product, so I am not some guy who is all pissed off I just don't think I should have to pay again for a mistake that some engineer made. I believe that they should pay for the extra labor that they are solely responsible for. Please let me know what you guys can do about this. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by miller456
I hate to say it "I told you so" lol sorry i just had to b/c in another thread you had stated not to come to conclusions and i needed to do more research, but on a side note. I really respect and appreciate the guys stepping up and admitting to problems and wanting to correct them. Steve I sent you an email with pics of the bent disk, I hope the links work and I left my cell number. Look forward to hearing back from you.
Well, you also have to realize that these clutches have been out for quite a while now, with thousands out on the road, and really, not a problem to speak of. So, when you and a couple others started in having some problems, that are actually quite normal @ here, and they all end up being easily fixed. So, that is why I was not quick to jump into the theory of a bad PP, again, as Monster has great quality control, so would have been (and is) a rare occurence of a bad "Monster part". Still, if you go by the numbers that are given, that is still over a 98% success rate...

Originally Posted by F-Body Lover
Steve should we just call you and you will send us another one?or we have to ship the old one back to you?
Yes, the old one will need to be shipped back, but first you need to verify that your's was one of the "one's".
Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it ok if i post a pic of what the problem is?

and Gen414 im just giving you a hard time.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

would really like to thank all the guys at monster for the effort they have made to fix this problem. It is unbelievable how exceptional these guys are behind this company.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Is it ok if i post a pic of what the problem is?

and Gen414 im just giving you a hard time.

Yes

No problem
Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nevermind steve called and told me my clutch wasnt one of them with a problem even though only maybe 2 pucks were touching the PP. I'm not happy with being told I need to buy a $350 MC just to make a clutch shift at WOT. I'm not going to knock the company, but I am stressing my concern for not being a happy customer. I will most likely be sending the clutch back for a refund as I am just not confident I have a hydraulic issue nor am I buying an adjustable master.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

I definitely give you guys at Monster some serious credit for not only finding out the issue and notifying customers, but posting it on the public forums to try to make sure all of those customers affected get the issue taken care of. While it's obviously a good marketing move on your part to show your level of customer service, it also can't be an easy thing to admit a major error took place at a relatively new company on the forums where the majority of your current and future customers come from. There are many companies out there that would not only refuse to look into their product or supply chain, but even if they found something wrong, would just try to call their customers and keep it private rather than doing everything possible to make sure all affected customers find out about the problem.

I like to switch it up and try new clutches/companies, so when my Textralia goes down the road, this thread might go a long way in having me make a Monster purchase vs some other options if ScreaminRedZ's Monster works out when he gets his replacement.

Now out of curiosity, what was the manufacturing defect that took place to cause the issue we were seeing?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres what mine looked like, but steve told me it was more than this and that was normal for my clutch. I only took a pic of 3 pucks with 2 of them off the plate and one resting normally. He also said that the problem caused the car to be hard to get into gear, not a shifting at WOT problem.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Seem like some stand up guys to me.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
This goes a long way toward building on an already great reputation! No one expects that there will never be problems, but alot of companies have a hard time admitting that they might possibly even have a problem or stepping up to fix it.

I applaud the efforts taken to correct the problem, it shows how good the customer service is from you guys!

Thanks guys!
Thanks a ton, it wasn't easy, but it is necessary.

Originally Posted by charlie c5
WOW, not to knock any of the other fine clutch manufactures, but Monster just did the BIGGEST thing Ive EVER seen in the industry. Mistakes and mishaps happen. We all know that, but to stand up in front of 4 million people and accept responsibility says alot obout you and your company. Though the issue was very agravating, and it did suck. At least we all know that we are dealing with a real stand up company. Thanks Monster, SNL, (Steve and Matt...)
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Gen414

Thanks
Thanks Derrick!

Originally Posted by F-Body Lover
When you call in and if your clutch is part of the less than thirty issue we will ship you a new clutch along with a call tag to send the other setup back to us.

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
I am happy you guys were able to get to the bottom of it and I appreciate you fixing and addressing the problem. However, now I have to pay the labor of taking out and putting in a new clutch. I am not made of money and I have already spent a lot more than I should have, on repeated bleedings and even on a brand new tick mc that I also had to pay to get installed and have the car rebled again. I am literally all out of money and now Im going to have to pay again to install a new clutch because those pressure plates were defective. You guys have an awesome product and if you read any of my other posts I have done nothing but praise you guys and defend your product, so I am not some guy who is all pissed off I just don't think I should have to pay again for a mistake that some engineer made. I believe that they should pay for the extra labor that they are solely responsible for. Please let me know what you guys can do about this. Thanks in advance.
Call us and we'll go over this, I understand the frustration.

Originally Posted by 69blueSS
would really like to thank all the guys at monster for the effort they have made to fix this problem. It is unbelievable how exceptional these guys are behind this company.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I definitely give you guys at Monster some serious credit for not only finding out the issue and notifying customers, but posting it on the public forums to try to make sure all of those customers affected get the issue taken care of. While it's obviously a good marketing move on your part to show your level of customer service, it also can't be an easy thing to admit a major error took place at a relatively new company on the forums where the majority of your current and future customers come from. There are many companies out there that would not only refuse to look into their product or supply chain, but even if they found something wrong, would just try to call their customers and keep it private rather than doing everything possible to make sure all affected customers find out about the problem.

I like to switch it up and try new clutches/companies, so when my Textralia goes down the road, this thread might go a long way in having me make a Monster purchase vs some other options if ScreaminRedZ's Monster works out when he gets his replacement.

Now out of curiosity, what was the manufacturing defect that took place to cause the issue we were seeing?
Thank you for the constructive praise.

The problem was the machining part on the fulcrum point of the plate, they were off slightly thus causing less than a full release.

nevermind steve called and told me my clutch wasnt one of them with a problem even though only maybe 2 pucks were touching the PP. I'm not happy with being told I need to buy a $350 MC just to make a clutch shift at WOT. I'm not going to knock the company, but I am stressing my concern for not being a happy customer. I will most likely be sending the clutch back for a refund as I am just not confident I have a hydraulic issue nor am I buying an adjustable master.
Heres what mine looked like, but steve told me it was more than this and that was normal for my clutch. I only took a pic of 3 pucks with 2 of them off the plate and one resting normally. He also said that the problem caused the car to be hard to get into gear, not a shifting at WOT problem.

Discs are not perfectly flat, they all (every manufacturer) have tolerances that they must fall into. The pressure plate that you have is not on the list, that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue and I explained this to you on the phone. We've got over 2,000 Monsters on the road, before this problem we've had less than .2% fail, that speaks VOLUMES! However, that doesn't mean we are perfect and it doesn't mean you don't necessarily have an issue. I told you over the phone that I would be more than happy to check the pressure plate and disc assembly if you wouldn't mind waiting, you told me that it didn't matter because your motor popped. If the pressure plate/disc assembly is in good working order your next line of diagnostics would go to the hydraulics, I'm sorry that you did not want to hear that may be a possibility, but, these are the facts. I'm still on board with helping you out, let me know if you want me to send you a shipping label to send those parts to me or not.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Seem like some stand up guys to me.
Thank you sir!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Just 4 more out there and we can put this issue behind us, thank you to all for your patience in this matter.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM

He also said that the problem caused the car to be hard to get into gear, not a shifting at WOT problem.
I had the problem with mine where it wouldn't go into gear. I fixed it with the Tick master, but then ran ito the WOT shifting problem. Monster is shipping me a new clutch, as mine falls into the group. Once I get it installed and broken in I'll definitely let you know if it fixes the WOT shifting problem.

Quick Reply: Monster Clutch Co.