Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just got my Tick MC - I'm pissed

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Tick MC - I'm pissed

So I got my tick in today. Excited.. looks great. I get it in. The bolts are off center and the rubber boot for the MC rubs both it's side and top on my firewall sheet metal. After paying $350 I certainly didn't expect an error like this and I'm not about to break out the grinder after shelling out that kind of dough on a part that should bolt right in.

Anybody else had an experience like this one?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

can you take pix for us that can not mentally imagine the rubbing issue?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you have the first one that doesn't bolt right in to my knowledge. The rubber boot is nothing more than a dust gaurd anyway...It probably isn't going to hurt if it rubs a little as long as everything else is bolted in without issue or binding.

-Jonathan
Old 11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Sure....

Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

That thing is going to last about 30 minutes of driving. The pics are after it's loosened a little trying to scoot it over with whatever play I have. Not much. It just sucks to wait a week, after I've already been down 3, and this thing fit like this.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Bell
That thing is going to last about 30 minutes of driving. The pics are after it's loosened a little trying to scoot it over with whatever play I have. Not much. It just sucks to wait a week, after I've already been down 3, and this thing fit like this.
Whats the problem thats going to cause it to "last about 30 minutes of driving". Looks to me like its bolted in. You can take the boot off and throw it in the garbage if you'd like and the cylinder will still function just fine...but a spec or two of dust may get in there over time.

Otherwise if you feel there is a real issue with something other than that boot, you can send it back and I'd be glad to compare your bracket with others and even install it into my own car to compare with the cylinder thats currently in there.

-Jonathan
Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

It's a hard rub, and it's rubber on a metal edge, that's why I expect it to last about 30 minutes in the car. I just expected after the $350, that it would bolt up square on center and not have an issue like this. The top hits as well. You can plainly see when you're working the clutch, that if the whole thing was a half inch over, the top and right side would be fine.

It's just a dust cover and serves no other purpose. I understand that. It just sucks that I'm going to be down another 5 days or have a not so perfect tick MC after the reluctant decision to spend the money on it in the first place.

Given, it adds that I've already been down a month. It adds that another MC isn't available down at the corner to get this fixed NOW. I think I'm going to go breathe for awhile.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

why dont you slot the holes in the car that way you can get you 1/2 inch or whatever? it'll save you a week & you can have it all done in about 15 minutes. some people are so damn picky & cry as soon as something needs a little tweak. it happens, as every car is a little different with manufacturing tolerances on both the car & aftermarket parts.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Why should I need to tweak when I up the $ for "the best". I'm sure it works beautifully when it fits right. Like I said.. I'm not cutting additional holes or grinding my firewall. That's just silly.

I understand tolerances, but surely you can tell by the photos, that's beyond any tolerance level.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll snap some pictures of mine to compare... Either way why wouldnt you contact Tick before you start a thread like this?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

you have got to be kidding me about the boot... get a dremal or something like a file and start filing away. and if the bolts dont line up perfectly make it work do u really want to wait and have your car down for a longer time
Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

I did contact tick. No reason not to start a thread. First a searched for dup issues to see what people did. Nothing came up. Now there's one. It's always good to let people know what they might expect, right?

I'm sure tick will make it right. The biggest reason I'm throwing a tantrum is like I said a few posts up. It's going to cost me 5 days, at best. That and it was a bit shocking to get "the cream" in these MC's and it was so far off on fit.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quik01ss
you have got to be kidding me about the boot... get a dremal or something like a file and start filing away. and if the bolts dont line up perfectly make it work do u really want to wait and have your car down for a longer time
I don't wanna hack it up. It's a nice, nice car, and the mods to this point have been done right. Dremeling wouldn't fall into that category.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
I'll snap some pictures of mine to compare...
That's cool.. I'd really like to see how it compares.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

I don't wanna hack it up. It's a nice, nice car, and the mods to this point have been done right. Dremeling wouldn't fall into that category.
yea my car is a nice nice nice car to but who the hell is gona say opening up a hole in a fire wall about a 16th of an inch is gona say hey mann ur car is "hack" cuz u dremaled a hole bigger.....im guessing u never drive your car to because u dont want ur tires to get dirty or have pebbles hit the front of it too..
Old 11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Off subject but i live in tulsa also didn't know if you come out on the weekends or not.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quik01ss
yea my car is a nice nice nice car to but who the hell is gona say opening up a hole in a fire wall about a 16th of an inch is gona say hey mann ur car is "hack" cuz u dremaled a hole bigger.....im guessing u never drive your car to because u dont want ur tires to get dirty or have pebbles hit the front of it too..
Daily driver. Sun, rain, or snow. Doesn't mean I wanna cut my car. I'm just planning on sending it back and getting one that fits right. I am interested in comparison pics of anyone else with one installed.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's going to cost me 5 days, at best
Put the stock back in till this gets figured out and there ya go if time is that big of a deal. Its not that tough to swap them.

My ride is a daily driver and was down an extra week recently waiting for clutch parts (not from tick) so i know the feeling. The company tried to work with me and make it right, what more can you ask for? **** happens... well it always seems to happen to me anyway.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

looks to me how it fits. Yeah the holes might be able to move over a smidge on the mc to make it center up a little better (tick guys if your reading this just send me a $20 check we will call it even). It still is going to work perfectly and nobody is ever going to see it!!! So if it does get a small hole in the boot (which will be way longer than 30 min) you will never know and it wont matter just put the panel on and go for a drive.

Quick Reply: Just got my Tick MC - I'm pissed