Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My Experience With LS1 Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My Experience With LS1 Clutches

I've been through a few clutches between both of my 6spd f-body's and I wanted to share some of my experience with some of you here.

First clutch I ever bought to replace my worn out stock clutch was for my 2000 Camaro Z28 and it was a Ram Powergrip HD. I was told by numerous that my stock bolt on LS1 and a 150 shot would last forever with this clutch. It didn't. I drove the car and raced it a few times over a period of 6 months and that sucker would slip like a ****! So I never bought another Ram clutch

From there I upgraded to the Textralia OZ700 Z-grip. Now this is a badass clutch that held my car multiple times from rev limit clutch drops on a 150 shot off the line! It never fased that thing. My huge complaint over this setup is the dis-engaging issues everybody has. I had 2 different slave cylinders and 2 different master cylinders in my car and it never fixed this issue.

From there I sold that clutch used (btw when I took it out it still looked new!!) and also sold the t56 setup thinking I was going 4L80 but then changed my mind AGAIN and went back to a 6spd. This time I knew I was going to put some more in the Camaro eventually so I sprung for a twin disc and got the Textralia Exo Skel. This is my current clutch in that car and due to motor problems I've only got one track event on the clutch and some street driving and thus far is a helluva clutch!! Dis-engages easily with stock hydraulics unlike the OZ700 and defineately engages rather harshly which is what I'll need with the new 403/TFS235 motor setup going in this winter.

Now on to the Trans Am... The stock unit had the famous clutch pedal sticking to the floor issue so I knew it was time to scrap that thing and put a newer clutch in there. Well I didn't have alot of money to throw at this car at the time due to motor issues also (crappy 98 LS1's) so while I had the motor out I purchased a new KYClutch to go back in the car along with the LQ4/5.3 headed G5X3 cam'd setup. This KYClutch was a bargain I must say!!! I still had my billet steel Ram flywheel so they resurfaced that for me and gave me a big block organic clutch disc (12" diameter disc!!) with LS1 spline of coarse and a matching 3000lb pressure plate. They sold this to me as a kit which consisted of the disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, slave cylinder shim and alignment tool. I got all this for under $350!!

How has the KYClutch held up?
I've put 25,000 miles on it this year and have taken the car to the track numerous times. I've sprayed a couple bottles on a 150 shot through the car, I've broken the stock 10 bolt 3 times since the car ran 10.91@128 this summer! This clutch is holding strong and is more streetable than a stock LS1 clutch! It has a heavier peddle than stock but still engages smoother! For bolt-on cam'd LS1 cars on small shots of nitrous I wouldn't recommend any other clutch for the price! I'm very very satisfied with this clutch and just wanted to share my experience with some of you guy's here on tech.

I'm sorry if I stepped on anyones shoes with this post but I'm just stating my experiences for others.

Thanks
James
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3000 lb pressure plate? I'll bet that pedal is firm...my Ram with a 2800 lb pressure plate felt like a leg press.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

It is pretty firm but like anything you get used to it. I've alway's had really heavy pedal clutch's in all my cars and this one isn't really any worse than the rest of them.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it sounds like it is working well for you, and that is really all that matters.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 on the Textralia Exo Skel. I love that clutch. Firm inputs yet the disengage is better than other twin disks...I liked it better than my Mcleod.

Nice writeup.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

I just wanted to bump my thread back up with an update. The cheap KYClutch that I'm running in my TA just held multiple high RPM clutch drops on slicks with a 150 shot of juice on the launch! Car pulled 1.49 60ft and a 10.57@131 this past weekend! All this out of a very streetable organic clutch disc! I'm not advertising for them, I'm just stating the facts and my experiences.

The clutch now has right at 30K miles and quite a bit of racing on it and it's still doing great!!!

Last edited by LSxPwrDZ; 03-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend the KY Clutch or the Textralia Exo Skel though? Seems you liked both.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

Depends on the setup. For lots of power def the Exo Skel but for most basic head/cam cars the KYClutch will be plenty... it has been for mine
Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you get the deal on the kyclutch, seems to be doing awesome and is right in my price range, maybe a lil less than 3000lb plate though lol
Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post. My car's gonna need a clutch soon and with so many out there it's nice to know what other people think that have used a few different ones.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
9 Second Club

If you want to know where to get the clutches contact me via PM, I don't want to step on the sponsors toes by posting a weblink here.

Quick Reply: My Experience With LS1 Clutches