Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Dual Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Dual Disc Clutch?

I've been hearing for awhile that Monster clutch is supposed to be coming out with a dual disc clutch, but yet to see it. Has anyone heard anything news lately? Has there been some kind of problem or delay?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by All-In
I've been hearing for awhile that Monster clutch is supposed to be coming out with a dual disc clutch, but yet to see it. Has anyone heard anything news lately? Has there been some kind of problem or delay?
There's been a few delays as they make some changes to the design but last I heard it was due out later this month.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red99TA
There's been a few delays as they make some changes to the design but last I heard it was due out later this month.
Thanks. Anxious to see what they look like and perform like.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they do come out this month I will be on it, I live 15 min from them, I have been waiting for this clutch to be released since december of last year, so we will see, I want one bad but wont wait much longer.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RARON455
If they do come out this month I will be on it, I live 15 min from them, I have been waiting for this clutch to be released since december of last year, so we will see, I want one bad but wont wait much longer.
Sent an e-mail and Steve says he's expecting to have the prototype on the 16th and full production by the end of the month if all goes well.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting also.......but not for too long
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

I'm about to pull the trigger on the McLeod RST twin just for the fact that it's proven and I don't really want to wait any longer. I'm sure the monster will be cheaper but I'm just a little weary of trying out a new product on a car that's a PITA to change the clutch!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am starting to learn about clutches as I need to buy one. What are the advantages over a dual then a single?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edge04
I am starting to learn about clutches as I need to buy one. What are the advantages over a dual then a single?
Depends on how you drive the car and your power level as to whether it's an "advantage".

Duals in general have 40 - 50% greater friction surface area and can handle a good deal more torque. Depending on the brand and model, if the dual also uses spring-hub organic discs, it also is able to maintain the smoothness of engagement, like a stock clutch and not have bad street habits like chatter, or being too "grabby". One downside is that the duals are usually a bit more expensive.

One good example is the C6 ZR1. It has a dual disc installed by GM as original equipment. It can handle the power and still be very livable on the street, plus it's strong enough so that GM can warranty it.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Depends on how you drive the car and your power level as to whether it's an "advantage".

Duals in general have 40 - 50% greater friction surface area and can handle a good deal more torque. Depending on the brand and model, if the dual also uses spring-hub organic discs, it also is able to maintain the smoothness of engagement, like a stock clutch and not have bad street habits like chatter, or being too "grabby". One downside is that the duals are usually a bit more expensive.

One good example is the C6 ZR1. It has a dual disc installed by GM as original equipment. It can handle the power and still be very livable on the street, plus it's strong enough so that GM can warranty it.
Driveability is the main reason I'm considering a twin clutch. It shouldn't chatter and it's light on the clutch pedal. I've even heard some say the pedal is lighter than the stocker was. As mentioned the downside is typically the price.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Default clutch

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I'm about to pull the trigger on the McLeod RST twin just for the fact that it's proven and I don't really want to wait any longer. I'm sure the monster will be cheaper but I'm just a little weary of trying out a new product on a car that's a PITA to change the clutch!

Does it come with a fly wheel? I'm leaning towards the McLeod also, I've had my car apart thinking monster might release theirs, I just cant wait anymore.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jsz06
Does it come with a fly wheel? I'm leaning towards the McLeod also, I've had my car apart thinking monster might release theirs, I just cant wait anymore.
No flywheel included at the listed price but it does work with an LS1/LS6 flywheel - SDPC is having a sale on the RST right now though for $649 shipped.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Ummm, it's May 1st now. Anybone heard anything on this??
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i talked to monster last week,looking like the middle to end of may
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

I couldn't wait and got a Textralia Exoskel
Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtail2426
i talked to monster last week,looking like the middle to end of may
Hmmm, that's what they said back in March (middle/end of April)
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, that's what they said back in March (middle/end of April)
Actually thats what I heard from them back in february,,,,,I have been hearing one more week for 5 weeks now. I Talked to Steve last tuesday, and he said he was going to look at the flywheel and hopes to be selling them at the end of this week, I am going to call again this week, If I hear another week or two I am going another route, I cant just keep waiting for this clutch, I finished my 383 build almost two months ago, and have not fired it yet, because I have no clutch setup...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I know it's aggrevating guys... but you wouldn't want him to sell you a part that's not tried and proven would you? I mean, could you imagine the **** storm if he just started selling them, then they started failing in peoples cars... who would be at fault then? No doubt everyone would blame Monster Clutch Co...

Quick Reply: Monster Dual Disc Clutch?