Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse lockout on a4 to m6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lockout on a4 to m6 swap

Hey i know there is a specific thread for a4 to m6 swaps but i couldnt find a clear cut answer on what guys are doing about retaining reverse lockout on the t56. I know it will still go into reverse if you force it but it is a pain in the ***. other guys are saying that they take the lockout off completely. It feels to me like it would be way to easy to slide into reverse on accident. I have also found that other people will install a switch that energizes the solonoid that alows it to go into reverse easily. I dont really want an extra switch on the inside but that is the option i am leaning towards right now.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Thinking of wiring the reverse lockout up with my brake pedal switch. When the brake is depressed the solonoid will open up and allow reverse to be easily accessed. Any better ideas?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to run a wire from the pcm i cant remember exactly which pin it is and tap into a hot wire for power.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I just did this on my a4-m6 swap. I found some good info on a few posts on here... If you are 99+ then you can re-build your a4 harness to work with reverse lockout, assuming you get the PCM an m6 tune...

Here is what I did -

Part 1.
On the red PCM plug, Unpin #42 (tan/black wire on my 00'), insert into unused pin #44
Pin #42 was used for the A4 TCC
Pin #44 is where the rev lockout ground is.

Part 2.
Trace the wire from pin #44 to the old a4 connector pug, remove the wire from the a4 connector plug and connect it to the rev. lockout pigtail. (this is the ground signal)

Then, take one of the two pink wires from the a4 connector plug and connect it to the rev. lockout pigtail. Both pink wires are hot with ignition on.

As long as your car is 99+, and have the PCM flashed to an M6 (I did so with HP Tuners), you will no longer have to fight reverse under 5mph - or whatever speed you decide to set it to in the pcm.

Ka-chow

Last edited by Dmitriy; 04-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

and ebay has the pigtails for 10 smacks! how dope is that?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blazen08
Thinking of wiring the reverse lockout up with my brake pedal switch. When the brake is depressed the solonoid will open up and allow reverse to be easily accessed. Any better ideas?
I may do this on my caddy as it seems the computer forgets it controls this function of my car from time to time. Sometimes it won't let me in reverse when I want to and sometimes it's open like a 5 dollar ho when I'm running 75 down the pike. Ever since I installed the tuned PCM. I guess you say they can change the parameters for this when they are in the computer? Maybe the jacked mine up somehow.

Last edited by raven154; 04-30-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

You rock Dmitry! If your ever near milwaukee i will buy you a beer!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

So i was planning on just reflashing the pcm with a tech 2 using a m6 vin. However My car has an ls6 intake (no EGR), and offroad Y. Should i just buy a tuner that can get rid of these codes? What should i get? How much am i looking at spending? I know its the wrong thread for this but you guys have been helpful so far so why not try!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

What about on a 98? I'm about to be doing a swap into my Z and I want to keep the reverse lockout also. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blazen08
So i was planning on just reflashing the pcm with a tech 2 using a m6 vin. However My car has an ls6 intake (no EGR), and offroad Y. Should i just buy a tuner that can get rid of these codes? What should i get? How much am i looking at spending? I know its the wrong thread for this but you guys have been helpful so far so why not try!
Definitely check out the tuning section, HPTuners and EFI live have pretty extensive tune repositories. I personally have HPTuners, spent about 500 bucks. I was able to find a tune in their repository that had the same EXACT mods I have, which is pretty cool...

Whats even cooler (if you're cheap like me), is that you can structure future mod plans based on existing dyno tested tunes in the repositories & in theory skip 250-500 buck one time fees at tuning shops or mail order tunes - at least that was how I justified the expense to the fionce
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

I am about to finish up my swap this weekend, I see some posts on this subject refer to adding a diode, stating it's in the factory schematics. It seems most are hooking this up with no mention of the diode, nor do I see it in my GM factory service manuals, could the diode be a 98 only deal?

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout on a4 to m6 swap