Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pulled the tranny today... found this

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn this thread is scaring me. I got my car at 65k and I'm pretty sure it has the stock clutch in there. It grabs just fine, no slipping or burning, but the hydraulics are pretty shot. Now I'm worried about opening it up.

Last edited by mrx8200; 05-26-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

got the monster in yesterday, figured why not? and took a picture.. theres some paint over-spray on the pressure plate so i emailed them about it also asking for a detailed install write up, figured i wont have the tranny back for a week anyway, might as well ask

Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like said earlier, That was a GM Factory clutch, replace EVERYTHING and IMO get a Tick Master Cyl. as its been hands down the best thing for M6 Fbodies to date. I am A Textralia man but to each their own.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrx8200
Damn this thread is scaring me. I got my car at 65k and I'm pretty sure it has the stock clutch in there. It grabs just fine, no slipping or burning, but the hydraulics are pretty shot. Now I'm worried about opening it up.
Because you make no power.

The best thing you can do is not mod and regularly bleed it with DOT4 Fluid.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Because you make no power.

The best thing you can do is not mod and regularly bleed it with DOT4 Fluid.
Lol. I know , and for once I'm kinda glad I don't though. I want to do other things before I have to do the whole clutch and hydraulics thing. I'll be sure to keep it bled and full of fluid though especially since I drive 100% city and a lot of stop and go.

By the way is there any way to install the tick speed bleeder without pulling too much stuff out?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Like said earlier, That was a GM Factory clutch, replace EVERYTHING and IMO get a Tick Master Cyl. as its been hands down the best thing for M6 Fbodies to date.
i just did the stock adjustable MC thing and the drill mod, the master didnt look bad at all, a little gunk near the metal stop but that was it
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Lol. I know , and for once I'm kinda glad I don't though. I want to do other things before I have to do the whole clutch and hydraulics thing. I'll be sure to keep it bled and full of fluid though especially since I drive 100% city and a lot of stop and go.

By the way is there any way to install the tick speed bleeder without pulling too much stuff out?
honestly if you have someone helping you and a 1/4 wrench, bleeding is a piece of cake.. a pita to find the bleeder the first time, but after that you can do the job in 5-10 minutes
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
honestly if you have someone helping you and a 1/4 wrench, bleeding is a piece of cake.. a pita to find the bleeder the first time, but after that you can do the job in 5-10 minutes
pending that your socket doesnt fall into the bellhousing... ask me how i know that... we've had the trans out 6 times now, so it takes all of 1 hour to get it out. that is in the driveway with only a floor jack lol
Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SpecV44
pending that your socket doesnt fall into the bellhousing... ask me how i know that... we've had the trans out 6 times now, so it takes all of 1 hour to get it out. that is in the driveway with only a floor jack lol
my cheap craftsman set has a locking ball so it cannot fall off unless ou push the button and pull the socket
my cheap extensions dont have this locking mechanism and i know what you're talking about, but you dont need an extension to bleed the clutch
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SpecV44
Well that's all the more equipment I'd have access to. Glad to hear it doesn't take that long to get the trans out. I can imagine the reaction the minute you hear the socket fall in there. Damn that would suck.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
my cheap craftsman set has a locking ball so it cannot fall off unless ou push the button and pull the socket
my cheap extensions dont have this locking mechanism and i know what you're talking about, but you dont need an extension to bleed the clutch
Dont know, I have given up on bleeding the clutch through there. Now I just use my mity-vac. it does take longer, but it insures all the air is out and my pedal feels awesome. My brother was the one who did it that way, with a 1/4" drive socket a swivel and an extension. cheap *** swivel let the socket fall off lol.

Well that's all the more equipment I'd have access to. Glad to hear it doesn't take that long to get the trans out. I can imagine the reaction the minute you hear the socket fall in there. Damn that would suck.
yeah, it isnt too bad. it took longer to change the clutch master cylinder than it did to take the trans out and reinstall it, by myself lol. and that included getting mcdonalds and going to the parts store
Old 05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Well that'd make sense. The master cylinder is in there something tight and is pretty well hidden. The tranny is right out there in the open. If changing the master was easier I would have gone to the tick long ago.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Well that'd make sense. The master cylinder is in there something tight and is pretty well hidden. The tranny is right out there in the open. If changing the master was easier I would have gone to the tick long ago.
maybe this is just my 3 years of college experience to become a Tech Ed teacher, but i had the master out, rebuilt, fabbed up to be adjustable and back in, all in a matter of 5 hours, and this included stopping every 5 minutes to wipe the sweat of my head and clean up

actually thinking about it, 5 hours for a lil POS is alot of time lolol
Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Well it may be a little pos but it's one of the things you use the most when you drive the car so it does have a big impact on things. I think for me the frustration of working in small spaces is more of the issue than the time it takes. If I could get it out and done in 5 hours then I'd do it, like now.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Well it may be a little pos but it's one of the things you use the most when you drive the car so it does have a big impact on things. I think for me the frustration of working in small spaces is more of the issue than the time it takes. If I could get it out and done in 5 hours then I'd do it, like now.
haha, by pos, i meant its a bastard part to work on/ get to lol

and i agree, i felt like a contortionist playing around with my head 2 inches from the place my feet spent most of their time, if all you're looking to do is replace it, not rebuild it like i did, honestly it can be done in under 5 hours with taking breaks throughout to avoid frustration, just take your time and dont think of it as "work" but as "time away from everyone" lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...der-video.html

Quick Reply: pulled the tranny today... found this