Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

WTF!!! - Textralia Exo-Skel Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF!!! - Textralia Exo-Skel Failure

Today I was leaving heading home and when I started off something sounded a little off. Sounded like a small vibration when starting off from standstill. I just brushed it off as my exhaust. Well I get home and begin to back up and when I push in the clutch there is a very loud vibration that you could feel. I shut the car off thinking it was out of oil or something. Well had plenty of oil. Start the car and it is still there. I shifted into reverse quickly and it stopped as soon as I let the clutch out. Backed in and parked it. Threw it up on jack stands and proceeded to pull the transmission. I thought I was going to find the flywheel or pressure plate bolts loose, but didn't see how that would happen seeing that I red loctited all the bolts. Well, pull the transmission back and this is what I see...

Hmmm NOT GOOD. Looked to be the center of one of the clutches. I could stick my finger in there and move it around. I look down and this is what I see...

Again not looking too hot. Remove the pressure plate and the 1st clutch comes out. All fine with it. Pull the floater disc and I see this... Damn center of the 2nd clutch fell out. There are 8 rives that hold it to the clutch. Well, some how all 8 sheered off...

Anyone hear of something like this before? Clutch has a little over 2k miles on it and maybe 12 passes. Just a little pissed seeing as this thing cost $1250. I have been thinking of going 4l80e and I guess this is a sign....
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that sucks. Have you contacted Textralia about it? I know I sure as hell would - that's some catastrophic failure right there.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Tried calling their tech hotline and keep getting voicemail. Ill try at a different time tomorrow. Also send them and e-mail today about the situation. Hope they come through.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

I'm sure they will help you out on that. That looks like a freak failure. I saw that happen to the Ram street dual 10in twin disc, which is the best twin disc IMO. It sheared all the rivets just like that. They must not have been the correct rivets or they were not 100% seated during the disc assembly.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, damn rivets ... atleast this wasn't the titanic!
Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

i had issues with my z grip when i installed it. i posted on their website and within about ten hours, they called me to help me out with it. i forgot the name of their website so i am not much help. it sucks to see that happen to ya.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

I'll try posting on their forum
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the same clutch and I am worried about it now :/ Post up any info you find......maybe its possible to re-rivet it with stronger rivets?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

I have a thread on Textralias forum. Trying to contact someone to resolve this.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had an issue with the z grip clutch setup. I had some issues with the U.S. tech support. But the owner, I believe his name is Pete iirc, stepped in and was VERY helpful in resolving the issue. He even called me from Australia to help get everything squared away.

Good luck with resolving the issue, and keep in mind the owner does care about customer satisfaction.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

When I was looking into getting a used Textrilia from here, I called the home office in Australia to speak to one of their techs about a rebuild, this was before I knew about the shop in Texas, but he was out to lunch so they took my # and told me that someone wouyld call me back, I was thinking like yeah what ever, but... they called me right back (from the land of the Roo's, not Texas) and spent close an hour on the phone with me. Very nice people, at least in the outback home office.

Quick Reply: WTF!!! - Textralia Exo-Skel Failure