Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What are the signs of a pilot bearing going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine recently went out and it caused a vibrating in the seat of the pants and the shifter plus a scuffing or buzzing sound anytime you were upshifting or downshifting. The input shaft off the tranny with the weight of the disk caused the tip of the shaft to vibrate in the enlarged hole in the pilot bearing.

It made no sounds or vibes clutch out and cruising or clutch in and sitting still. Again only during shfting.

I pulled the pilot bushing out and slid it on the input stub and the wear was obvious. I was scared I might have a tranny input bearing issue or worse.

I replaced the pilot bushing and the problem was totally gone.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Mine recently went out and it caused a vibrating in the seat of the pants and the shifter plus a scuffing or buzzing sound anytime you were upshifting or downshifting. The input shaft off the tranny with the weight of the disk caused the tip of the shaft to vibrate in the enlarged hole in the pilot bearing.

It made no sounds or vibes clutch out and cruising or clutch in and sitting still. Again only during shfting.

I pulled the pilot bushing out and slid it on the input stub and the wear was obvious. I was scared I might have a tranny input bearing issue or worse.

I replaced the pilot bushing and the problem was totally gone.
sounds exactly like mine...

Quick Reply: What are the signs of a pilot bearing going out?