Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Soon as clutch fully disengaged, clunking noises.. (update)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon as clutch fully disengaged, clunking noises.. (update)

i was driving the other day and i did a quick, not very strong pull shifting at around 4k rpm, from 2nd to 3rd to 4th letting off at around 70-80...next time i start my 93z 134k (2-3k on clutch)...when i push the clutch all the way to the floor to put it in first i hear this clunking sound..ONLY when the clutch is all the way to the floor "clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk" and i can feel it in the pedal too...

what the hell is goin on! i wasnt driving it THAT hard surely i didnt break anything... did i push the clutch in too hard and knock something out of adjustment like the stop for the clutch pedal or somethin?... id appreciate any input on what is clunking!!

(im guessing these are pilot bearing/bushings?) when me and my uncle pulled the tranny because the throwout bearing shattered on me we replaced the clutch/pressure plate also (didnt need to only had about 10k miles but we did anyways), he was rushing the **** out of everything and i noticed these 2 bearing/bushing we didnt use when i got back home. but since the throwout bearing blew on me before im guessing the owner before me didnt replace it or the pilot bearing...could this be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails Soon as clutch fully disengaged, clunking noises.. (update)-0527100504-00.jpg   Soon as clutch fully disengaged, clunking noises.. (update)-0527100504-01.jpg  

Last edited by Chrismikeb; 06-21-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having a similar issue right now... When I push my clutch in, and rev the motor, I get quite a nasty clunking/vibe right around 2k. Sounds like something is busted in mine... Not sure what yours could be since it sounds like you just replaced some parts. But Im guessing my problem is either throwout bearing, broken clutch disc, or pilot bearing issue. Even though that stuff is pretty new on my car too.

Good luck figuring yours out!!

Justin
Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

If there is a clunk with the pedal depressed it could be an issue with the fork contacting the plate. I have seen a few forks bend over the years and I have also seen the bearing retainers get damaged too, but the latter usually causes the fork to pop-out and the clutch to no longer release as a result. At this point I suggest pulling ther parts and examining them for issues. You are welcome to send me pics or post them here for assessment. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
If there is a clunk with the pedal depressed it could be an issue with the fork contacting the plate. I have seen a few forks bend over the years and I have also seen the bearing retainers get damaged too, but the latter usually causes the fork to pop-out and the clutch to no longer release as a result. At this point I suggest pulling ther parts and examining them for issues. You are welcome to send me pics or post them here for assessment. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
i was really hoping i was done with tranny pullin on this car but i guess the only thing TO do is pull it and see what happened since i dont want to ignore it and be left stranded one day...thanks for the info
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Im having a similar issue right now... When I push my clutch in, and rev the motor, I get quite a nasty clunking/vibe right around 2k. Sounds like something is busted in mine... Not sure what yours could be since it sounds like you just replaced some parts. But Im guessing my problem is either throwout bearing, broken clutch disc, or pilot bearing issue. Even though that stuff is pretty new on my car too.

Good luck figuring yours out!!

Justin
good luck on urs as well, nice car by the way, dont see to many 3rd gen firebirds let alone with a LS
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just pulled the slave off the trans in the off chance i might find some pieces of metal or a bent fork...didnt find anything except that the fork that disengages the clutch seems to rattle around alot but im not sure if thats normal
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Do you see any rub marks on anything (the clutch, the fork, the trans, etc..)?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

i havent pulled the tranny yet, i just took the slave off, i couldnt see much of the fork but there was no marks on what i could see
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

finally got my car to a good guy at a shop...he says its the throwout bearing (again) making all that racket, the ring that holds it onto the fork is about to give out, which it did do last time about 2000miles ago...

i dont understand why this is happening again! i bought the car almost a year ago and the guy recently replaced the clutch and all that, think it had 2k on it when i got it, then i put about 6k on it and the throwout bearing ring shattered...so we replace the clutch PP and T-bearing, 2k miles later its givin me ****...is it a bad clutch fork??

one of the selling points for me buying this car was a recent clutch job...now ive dropped the tranny twice in less then a year...oh the irony...

Quick Reply: Soon as clutch fully disengaged, clunking noises.. (update)