Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2000 ss clutch sticking on floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 ss clutch sticking on floor

Got a question I have a 2000 ss Camaro and at high rpm I can't shift. I have read alot of posts on here and it seems to be the master cylinder!!! I can also be sitting still rev the car to 6000 and the clutch will get stiff and it catches very close to the floor and stays there I can pull the pedal back with my foot and pump it a couple times and its back to normal. I can drive at normal rpm all day and not have a problem. Need help bad any would help Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Teching In

First check the clutch fluid level and then the color if it is brown then the clutch fluid needs to be changed out. Just trying to tell you check the simple signs before tearing things apart. Hope someone else chimes in. Good luck and I do hope it is a simple fix.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

My buddies does it too so an info on this would be great!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pre 01 cars usually have this issue and the hydralics need to be upgraded master and slave, you can do the "drill mod" to your master to save some cash, start with a fluid change that should really help with your problems, and go from there
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

even 01s and 02s suffer from this. the hydraulics suck, the fluid gets too hot and looses pressure. the majority of the time replacing the master with an aftermarket unit such as the Mcleod or Tick solves the issue, i went with tick, this monster piece is sure to last.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine would only do it when I slipped my clutch from a launch. When I changed my stock clutch out for a Spec 3, I also put a new GM master cylinder in it and a newer GM slave. My buddy Jamie made the master adjustable and we did the drill-mod and it works flawlessly. Good luck man. Oh, and for WIW, his 02 SS was having the clutch-drop issue between ever gear until he put his clutch in. He also put a Perfection-brand slave in it from Advance Auto and made his master adjustable and VOILA; it was fixed.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

mine does this too..and its mostly cause the clutch return spring flew out of it and i have been lazy and havnt bought a new one so if i mash it hard and often it will stick some times.. make sure that your springs there..lol
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ls1whip
mine does this too..and its mostly cause the clutch return spring flew out of it and i have been lazy and havnt bought a new one so if i mash it hard and often it will stick some times.. make sure that your springs there..lol
The spring has very little to do with Peddle Crash.

Like Chef said, do a fluid swap, consider upgrading the Hydraulics. Once you get there you can determine if the clutch or PP is bad.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

On a side-note, the drill-mod is a must. I bought my master cylinder from our local dealership just a couple of months ago. The stock master's had the restriction that you're supposed to drill internally; these new masters from GM have the restriction in the brass fitting right on the end. This made drilling it even easier and you can see the entire hole to make sure it's round and not oblong.

Quick Reply: 2000 ss clutch sticking on floor