Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 mt drag radial burn out

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 mt drag radial burn out

Hey guys,

I have list of firsts and could use a bit of advice.

1st manual tranny – t-56 Magnum.

1st set of MT 275/60-15 drag radials.

1st burn out.

I’m running a 71 GMC (3900lbs) with a 427lsx/t-56 wide ratio/SPEC3+/BS3 combo with basically a stock suspension (lowered - long nascar style trailing arm style) - 3.73 Auburn pro posi with stock 30 spline axles – mt’s will be at 19lbs.

As mentioned, I’ve never done a burnout with a manual – ever. And I’m not sure what to expect. I was going to roll through the water and let out the clutch in 3rd, 3-5 seconds of burn and get it to the starting line.

The end of the burn out is a mystery to me. Obviously, I get out the the throttle and disengage the clutch. Will the tires grab as they slow down? What can I expect?

As for launch, I was gonna start low at 2000-2250 and go from there.

I’m not looking to run the perfect et, I’m just going out to do some shake down runs on the new combo.

Thanks,
Bovey
Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Do the burn out in second gear hold it for a few seconds and roll out press the clutch in as soon as you feel the tires start to grab
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get Line Lock. It is needed.

I have done both first and 2nd gear burns, just be aware, get enough water on the tires and if you do a 2nd gear burn, get the RPMS up there to allow for the gearing difference and not bog or stress the clutch.

If you do it w/o a Line Lock, you run the risk of bad wheel hopping and busting up parts. As you try to dump the clutch and catch the brake pedal at the same time and not too hard to lock the rear breaks.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see vids/pics of this truck you got! sounds like one nice ride!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Teching In

Sure. I'll dig some up. If the weather holds for the 1320 this week-end - I hope to have video.

Also, thanks for the tips guys - I appreciate it.

Cheers,
mark
Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Without a line lock, I'd recommend 1st gear in the water, tach it up to 3000, dump the clutch, then quickly while keeping your toe on the gas, move your heel over to the brake a little bit to keep it from rolling out. Give it some more gas for a few seconds, let your heel of the brake, and feather the throttle to roll-out of the water while still spinning. Slowly back-out of the throttle, and it will eventually get traction and lunge forward. At that point, push in the clutch.

I ran 3:73's with my super T-10 4-speed (which also has a 2.66 1st gear) with 29" slicks. You just can't get out of the hole in a 4000lb truck when you're shifting into second at 55MPH. Be careful with clutching at the starting line, or you could destroy some of these aggressive clutches pretty quickly with extensive clutch slippage on the launch.

I went with 4.56's this time, and I'll still be running 75 MPH at 2000 RPM in 6th gear. I doubt you'll ever use 6th gear with 3.73's
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Excellent. Thanks I'm totally geared up to hit the track. As mentioned, I'm gonna take it easy on my first few passes to get comfortable with everything. Like your saying 55 MPH shows up quick with this thing...

As for 6th gear. I use it a lot. Most of my trucks life is spent on major highways at 75MPH+ and when I finished it on July 1st, the break in run was a 7500 mile Canada/USA 22 day adventure. I spend hours on end at 85MPH is 6th, this thing gets awesome milage.

I'll report back tomorrow, with photos, weather permitting.

Jim_PA - Did you not have some wiring issues like me? Wait I'll go check the post...

Bovey out
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bovey
Excellent. Thanks I'm totally geared up to hit the track. As mentioned, I'm gonna take it easy on my first few passes to get comfortable with everything. Like your saying 55 MPH shows up quick with this thing...

As for 6th gear. I use it a lot. Most of my trucks life is spent on major highways at 75MPH+ and when I finished it on July 1st, the break in run was a 7500 mile Canada/USA 22 day adventure. I spend hours on end at 85MPH is 6th, this thing gets awesome milage.

I'll report back tomorrow, with photos, weather permitting.

Jim_PA - Did you not have some wiring issues like me? Wait I'll go check the post...

Bovey out
I haven't started mine yet. Hoping to hear it run for the first time in the next week or so, and maybe have it to the track before thanksgiving.

I will probably hold out on my gear swap initially though, as my rig has been down since March when this whole thing started... I've waited long enough!

Let us know how it goes, it's always exciting first time at the track with something new!!!

Quick Reply: t56 mt drag radial burn out