Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which trans mount... poly or rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which trans mount... poly or rubber?

And if rubber, where are you guys buying them?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 11:52 PM
9 Second Club

They both have goods and bads. The rubber is alot weaker and will usually break much sooner/wear out quicker. And if you have alot of power/hook up well can rip it apart. BUT, they are quiter and you will have less vibration and noise. The POLY mounts are much stronger, firmer and last longer but since they are stiffer have more vibration and noise, mostly more vibration. I always use poly. They look better too, lol.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

I've had both. I put the rubber back in and you can get it at most parts stores. The poly sucks IMO and who cares about looks?!?! You cant see it!! The rubber is weaker in the long run but if you drive your car alot on the street you more then likely will not like the poly. They vibrate and transfer all kinds of tranny noises through the cab. Annoying really! As far as the rubber one being weaker, yes they are but I have probably 150 6k clutch drops and 60k miles on mine so far and it's still together, so theyre not that weak.

Last edited by blue98Z; 10-25-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Like stated above they have their pros and cons. One thing I have done with the poly mount to cut down on some of the vibration it transfers into the shifter is I leave the preload plate out. I have found that if you leave it out you feel a lot less vibration through the shifter. Also by installing that preload plated it raises the transmissions slightly and adding positive pinion angle which doesn't help anything either.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it true that you should NOT use a poly mount if your motor mounts are stock rubber?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Well they say that having a "softer" motor mount than tranny mount can crack the bell housing. But there are tons of people that run poly tranny mounts and stock motor mounts without a problem. So it's up to you to decide if it's worth the "risk".
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trik396
Is it true that you should NOT use a poly mount if your motor mounts are stock rubber?
I've heard people say that befor as well. I believe the reason people say that is because with the rubber mounts and a poly trans mouth the engine is going to move and the trans is going to say fixed so you will get more vibration through the shifter handle.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Like stated above they have their pros and cons. One thing I have done with the poly mount to cut down on some of the vibration it transfers into the shifter is I leave the preload plate out. I have found that if you leave it out you feel a lot less vibration through the shifter. Also by installing that preload plated it raises the transmissions slightly and adding positive pinion angle which doesn't help anything either.
I don't get it, why the hell don't these transmission mount manufacturers make their mounts optimal from the factory? It seems everyone who installs them modifies it in someway to reduce vibrations or keep the pinion angle where it's supposed to.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1993-1997-...-Mount-GM.html
Unlike other brands on the market, this poly transmission mount is the correct height and will not cause driveline vibrations due to pinion angle changes.
This one says it shouldn't cause vibrations or pinion angle changes, but I didn't use one even though it was recommended to do so along with my solid motor mounts. I was afraid of all the horrible vibration stories so I kept my original rubber trans mount.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ran poly mounts on my old 97 and my current 01. I love having them, makes the shifting more solid. Everyone says it adds more vibrations, and these people probably never had it longer than a week before they took it off. They do add some vibrations temporarily, but it softens up after like a week. It was a favorite mod of mine. Get the Prothane for sure. It has way less problems than the Energy Suspension mount
Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to have to try them out for sure. I think the fact that I have solid motor mounts should lessen extra vibrations from the poly mount since my engine isn't torquing, at all. Did you modify your trans mounts in any way or put them on as is?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prothane trans mounts are direct bolt in with stock measurements.. People with ES mounts run into issues with a spacer, or grinding down some because it's too tall etc..

I run my poly trans mounts on my 100k stock rubber motor mounts. I really don't see this hype of claims saying it's a risk running rubber motor with poly trans mounts. The poly does flex some.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently added a UMI TQ relocation cross member and a Energy suspension Trans mount. I am still running stocker rubber engine mounts buts its fine. The car vibrates a little but its not a real issue.

I will try taking the preload plate out and see what diff it makes, but in general it both make the drivetrain more solid. Also mind you I run a Drag bar so take that for what you will.

Quick Reply: Which trans mount... poly or rubber?