Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this a GM slave? pics inside

Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP
I've never heard of a reman'ed slave. Its cheap enough to just buy a new one anyway. The parts stores tend to over-complicate everything. If only they had "common sense" programmed in to their computer system, it would be a better world
Gotta love it when you tell them you need a part for a 1999 Trans Am, they ask is its a V6 or V8.. lol
Or you ask for a 2002 model and they say its a dealer-only item, but when you ask for an older model (1999 or 2000), they say its available.
Parts interchange information comes from the aftermarket part manufacturers. A lot of times this information is incomplete and/or not very thorough as far as cross years and interchange info goes.

I work in autoparts. Generally it's listed as "Firebird"....and then you select v6 or v8. Unless the person is a car buff, they're not gonna know that a "trans am" is a v8 "firebird". lol.

First off, don't get mad when the parts person doesn't know WTF you're asking for. Keep in mind, unless they're management, they're probably making minimum wage!!! Honestly, how much do you expect them to know?!!?!?!? That's not to say nobody knows anything, but just be AWARE and don't get MAD when they don't know much!

And Anytime a parts person tells you it's a "dealer only" item, they really have no idea whether it is or isn't. Either they have no idea WTF you're asking for, and are scared to admit their ignorance, or it's just not available from whatever auto parts store you're in. Regardless, there's nothing in parts systems (anywhere, I don't care what auto parts company you work for) that says "DEALER ITEM" or something equivalent.

Begin rant -

You have to realize 98% of customers coming to the counter are COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have guys coming in all the time saying they need a so and so for a '98 Chevy (or insert any year and just say Chevy, and give me no more information whatsoever).

So I'm like ugh....Chevy what? Apparently, the correct answer is always "truck". Like I should know that.

Oh, and this is my favorite...."I need a so and so for a Chevy Small Block. It's for my race KAAAAAAAR". God-forbid I ask them what year the engine is! Every redneck everywhere seems to think that EVERY SINGLE PART for any year small is EXACTLY the same. In reality, there are both year differences, as well as car vs truck engine differences.

So I pick a year and give them a part....fast forward a few hours and I see them stomping in greasy and stinky, throwing the part back at me on the counter and yelling at me for "giving them the wrong part".

LOL
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jonathan_ed3
First off, don't get mad when the parts person doesn't know WTF you're asking for. Keep in mind, unless they're management, they're probably making minimum wage!!! Honestly, how much do you expect them to know?!!?!?!? That's not to say nobody knows anything, but just be AWARE and don't get MAD when they don't know much!

You have to realize 98% of customers coming to the counter are COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you're saying. I have a very long fuse, and never really get mad. It's just mind-boggling that the parts catalog (computer) is so inaccurate. Half the time, there is a complete idiot in front of me in line wasting time, and its frustrating.
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't agree with the way most parts stores are ran. If they hired more knowledgeable employees, and paid them accordingly, it would be worth it in the long run. An employee that really knows his stuff would be worth every bit of $15-20 per hour and could probably do the work of 5 dummies. Unfortunately most big companies don't want to pay good people what they are actually worth.

Sorry for the
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by southernculture
The one on the right is NOT sold at advance or autozone. The one on the left is. It is made by perfection and does not hold up very well. They dont take much abuse. I would buy from the dealership and ask for a hook up on the wholesale price, thats what I did. got it for $160.00.
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree (unless maybe you meant the one on the left). I've purchased probably 500 or more slaves from Autozone and O'Reillys in the last 6-7 years. They match the one on the right. Buying one from the dealership is just a waste of money, even if you get a good discount.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TDP
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree (unless maybe you meant the one on the left). I've purchased probably 500 or more slaves from Autozone and O'Reillys in the last 6-7 years. They match the one on the right. Buying one from the dealership is just a waste of money, even if you get a good discount.
How much do you pay for them.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so i take it the acdelco one is junk. just great.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cleb
How much do you pay for them.
Anywhere from 64.99 to 73.99 ...depends on which store.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1251459663___

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...dy/hydraulics/

I dont think a faceplated, rem polished, cryo treated trans calls for a " if you on a tight budget, get the acdelco one" that i could buy at the auto parts store for 70 bucks... i'll be getting out my paperwork and making some phone calls.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TDP
Anywhere from 64.99 to 73.99 ...depends on which store.
The only one I found for $70 was a cheap looking one, the brand was "powertorque." Then I had to call like 5 different stores and have them look for one that is made in the USA and it has a red nipple on the end of it. Finally some guy found one for me and it had to be special ordered, and it was $117. Maybe it's because I live in a crappy little town.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1251459663___

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...dy/hydraulics/

I dont think a faceplated, rem polished, cryo treated trans calls for a " if you on a tight budget, get the acdelco one" that i could buy at the auto parts store for 70 bucks... i'll be getting out my paperwork and making some phone calls.
I ordered my slave from Tick to, and when they say it like "if your on a tight budget" It makes you think oh it's the same thing and it will work fine. So I ordered one and later read every where that they are prone to leaking and read stories where they failed prematurely.

I think on Tick's website it should say something more like this "Go with the AC Delco slave if you wanna risk it failing like a week later and then having to drop your transmission all over again because you wanted to save $50."
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sorta went through the same thing a couple years back... Got one from Autozone or Advance with no part numbers cast into it at all.

Ordered another one, since I bought the last one, and it came with a different bearing, different color connector, and the AP numbers on it. I ended up using that one and it seemed to work fine.

Fast foward a little, and I ended up swapping in a GM unit I got from Tick or Scoggy Dicken...cant remember which. I thought the slave was bad, but it was something else. Replaced it anyway.

here's the thread I made showing different bearings and castings and fitting colors and all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...dentified.html

J.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys go to Rockauto's website, and put in the vehicle year and model, they show 5 different slave cylinders for these cars. They have pictures of all of them.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 PM
DJB
12 Second club

Well I know I am late respond, but I will tell anyone not to use that black slave. Because once you connect the master line to the slave, you damn near have to pull the trans to disconnect them. So, if you wanted to do a tick master later; good luck. That clip style connector sucks. No one could give me one of those black slaves.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I know this is another later reply....but fwiw, I got a new GM slave cylinder from summit (#NAL-15046288) a few weeks back. It looks IDENTICAL to the OEM one I removed. It was not black but aluminum colored.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Default Tdp

TDP you are telling me the one on the right is available at advance/autozone? I went through 3 and they all failed but were ones on the left. I even put a labor claim in thru advance after the 2nd one and got 140 bucks back. I did pay the money for one at the dealershit cause in 8 months I replaced the slave 3 times and was tired of pulling the damn trans off just to change a slave that is 3 months old. The GM unit is holding up very good. Needless to say if the parts stores carry the one on the right I would try that however that one was never available!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got that black "POS" from China from a vendor on here after specifically asking for a genuine GM product. Don't think I will be using it. I would rather use my 4000 mile GM unit that I have now. I am going to see if the vendor will take this back without all the ridiculous fees when you return.

FYI-My "made in China" POS came with instructions to intall the slave into a Ford Ranger, BroncoII and similar Mazda products.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Interesting, I got rebuilt it from Oreilly few years ago..No issue with it
Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Got Clutch issues?....You guys need to see this.....

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t19...tsourced#22049

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a GM slave? pics inside