Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just got an L96 and want t56; easiest way to get T56 behind it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just got an L96 and want t56; easiest way to get T56 behind it?

I also like the idea of getting one w/.62 final drive. Going into GM A-body that already had an Lt1 t56 (so shifter location already back). What are your thoughts since I'll need a complete change over?

I'd like to get either a used one super cheap w/everything that I can just have rebuilt now before it goes in, or one that has been already redone. My engine has 3k on it, and I want to not worry about the tranny. At most I'll have exhaust/cam mods so I'm looking at ~ 500FWHP.

Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the major issue? It's a flex fuel version of the 6.0L truck motors, an LS1 T56 should mount right to it. If you're putting it into a heavy A-body, you might want to have the mainshaft upgraded, but otherwise it should be the same as any swap.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
What's the major issue? It's a flex fuel version of the 6.0L truck motors, an LS1 T56 should mount right to it. If you're putting it into a heavy A-body, you might want to have the mainshaft upgraded, but otherwise it should be the same as any swap.
Thx. I was also wondering about the .62 final drive. I don't think you can get that w/LS1 (GTO only?). I'll probably do just as you say; then I need to find the best way to get a complete swap kit.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 6th gear in the M12 (GTO) is 0.57:1, compared to 0.50:1 in the MM6 gearset (Fbody,viper). Is that what you're referring to as ".62 final drive" ?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sell reman'ed T56 transmissions, but am running very low on stock. Price is $1900 outright for a "better than new" unit. Freshly built with billet 3-4 keys, steel 3-4 shift fork, true press-fit 5-6 gear cluster (modded mainshaft). One year warranty, unlimited mileage. Or if you want the 31-spline HD mainshaft upgrade, price is $2500.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Default link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-outright.html
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will probably be going w/TDP for a tranny; but I'm reading that the LS7 clutch package may be a better fit.

Re .62; read another post saying that was GTO final ratio--guess that was wrong. I just didn't like the 6th in my LT1. Really needed to be going over 60 w/flat road for it to like it. Maybe w/LS power it won't lug as much. I have 3.73s running 235/60/15s. Thinking the .57 may be better way to go and TDP says can swap those in.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, what's the deal with LS2 flywheel in front of the LS7 clutch? Lots of folks seem to have that combo. Is it performance (compatibility) or cost?

Thx!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Will probably be going w/TDP for a tranny; but I'm reading that the LS7 clutch package may be a better fit.

Re .62; read another post saying that was GTO final ratio--guess that was wrong. I just didn't like the 6th in my LT1. Really needed to be going over 60 w/flat road for it to like it. Maybe w/LS power it won't lug as much. I have 3.73s running 235/60/15s. Thinking the .57 may be better way to go and TDP says can swap those in.
Originally Posted by Goldhawg
BTW, what's the deal with LS2 flywheel in front of the LS7 clutch? Lots of folks seem to have that combo. Is it performance (compatibility) or cost?

Thx!
The "LS2" flywheel goes with the "LS7" clutch, and makes it a complete kit. You have to switch to that flywheel to make it work. However, I recommend staying away from the LS7 setup. It's nothing more than a glorified stock clutch. Sure it's a little stronger than the LS1/LS6 setup, but still a stock clutch. I'd be telling you the same thing even if I wasn't in the business of selling clutches. I recommend going with a Diamond Clutch kit. It's a little more expensive than the LS7, but much lighter and stronger. The Diamond Stage 1 is similar to the LS7, but has a stronger pressure plate. Most people go with the Stage 2 dual friction setup. It's really a perfect street/strip clutch. It drives really close to stock and can take a beating with a 600hp/tq capacity.
If you buy a transmission from me, I'll make you a really good package deal on a clutch too. I can give you the special, along with another $50-100 off the entire package. Everything is warrantied for one year regardless of mileage.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TDP
The "LS2" flywheel goes with the "LS7" clutch, and makes it a complete kit. You have to switch to that flywheel to make it work. However, I recommend staying away from the LS7 setup. It's nothing more than a glorified stock clutch. Sure it's a little stronger than the LS1/LS6 setup, but still a stock clutch. I'd be telling you the same thing even if I wasn't in the business of selling clutches. I recommend going with a Diamond Clutch kit. It's a little more expensive than the LS7, but much lighter and stronger. The Diamond Stage 1 is similar to the LS7, but has a stronger pressure plate. Most people go with the Stage 2 dual friction setup. It's really a perfect street/strip clutch. It drives really close to stock and can take a beating with a 600hp/tq capacity.
If you buy a transmission from me, I'll make you a really good package deal on a clutch too. I can give you the special, along with another $50-100 off the entire package. Everything is warrantied for one year regardless of mileage.
I also have a 05 l96 with a t56 trans. Where can i buy your combo. I need a flywheel and clutch

Quick Reply: Just got an L96 and want t56; easiest way to get T56 behind it?