Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New LS7 Clutch, Hard to shift 1st and reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New LS7 Clutch, Hard to shift 1st and reverse.

Alright, so I got a ls7 clutch, RAM alum. flywheel, new master cylinder (dorman) and new slave (GM).

Now, I am aware there's a roughly 500 mile break in period before doin any hard shifting and such, but ive had many cars with fresh clutches/hydraulics and never had this issue. It's hard to push into first, and reverse is the same way. Other gears seem to be pretty good, but first and reverse (even after pumping the clutch a couple times) are still hard to put in.

I am wondering if it will fade away after break in, but I just can't see that as being related from past experiences... Maybe im wrong, no idea, thats why i seek ls1tech help!

Also, when clutch is pressed in all the way, car does not move or try to disengage or anything, BUT it does begin to go a lot sooner than it used to (let off an inch or 2 and shes ready to pounce)

soooooooooo anyone? haha thanks for any and all input! I want to make sure this car is perfect.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

You most likely need to remove the transmission and insert a shim. What it sounds like to me is that the clutch is not disengaging all the way due to the slaves inability to extend far enough. It will not get any better and can cause excessive wear if you do not correct this issue.

You will need to measure it out to see how thick the shim needs to be.

This will give you everything you need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you need to keep bleeding the hydraulics.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure he would have posted about a crappy pedal press if there were air/hydraulic issued.

Most people say no shim with the LS7 clutch but if you measure them out properly they require one to keep geometry correct.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sargeant Sh!tbag
I'm sure he would have posted about a crappy pedal press if there were air/hydraulic issued.

Most people say no shim with the LS7 clutch but if you measure them out properly they require one to keep geometry correct.

Hmm alright, ill look into this. Thank you!

and yeah, my pedal feels fine.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

The LS7 will adjust but not if you dont have enough throw to activate it properly. You dont have to have a crappy pedal to have air in the system and for it to effect the way it disengages. I'm also not saying you dont need a shim, but I would try bleeding the clutch more or take it someone that can do GM hydros before I dropped the trans to install something that may have been fixed by proper bleeding.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by raven154
The LS7 will adjust but not if you dont have enough throw to activate it properly. You dont have to have a crappy pedal to have air in the system and for it to effect the way it disengages. I'm also not saying you dont need a shim, but I would try bleeding the clutch more or take it someone that can do GM hydros before I dropped the trans to install something that may have been fixed by proper bleeding.
any idea on about how many miles for it to adjust? I have probably put 100+ easily so far
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sargeant Sh!tbag
You most likely need to remove the transmission and insert a shim. What it sounds like to me is that the clutch is not disengaging all the way due to the slaves inability to extend far enough. It will not get any better and can cause excessive wear if you do not correct this issue.

You will need to measure it out to see how thick the shim needs to be.

This will give you everything you need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
also, forgot to mention, that it does somewhat get easier after warmed up, but being still at stop lights and such, 1st and reverse are always a little tougher. Gets annoying.

EDIT: also, while engine is not on, its easy as pie to slide into any and all gears

Last edited by Clayton Andrew; 04-01-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

After being bled again, needs a shim. Sucks because I don't have access to a lift. ugh... Any who, where to get a good shim ppl?

Quick Reply: New LS7 Clutch, Hard to shift 1st and reverse.