Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mainshaft endplay question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mainshaft endplay question

ok i am in the middle of my first t56 rebuild.I replaced the bearings when rebuilding because my pilot bearing was ate up and cluster gear was tore up teeth missing.I am checking my mainshaft endplay and i have a endplay of .000 i can turn the input shaft but it is pretty hard is this good.(i know the engine has a lot more torque than my arm) but it made me wonder. thanks hope you can help.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know the spec is .000-.oo2 and i torqued all the bolts to 26 ft lb
Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

How many ft lb is it requiring to turn the input in N?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check it minus the very front input bearing shim so that you know if you're .00 or a negative number. If endplay = shim, you're good to go. If shim > endplay, then you may need to come up with less shim stack.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

Im concerned about what he means by "pretty hard" to turn..
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Right and the spec is what it is.

After all, how many people would consider an uninstalled manual trans. bad due to lateral play in the input shaft.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

True True
Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
Check it minus the very front input bearing shim so that you know if you're .00 or a negative number. If endplay = shim, you're good to go. If shim > endplay, then you may need to come up with less shim stack.
Yes remove the shims and view some actual bearing clearance as reference and add shims to reach 0 - .002" endplay. If you were at true 0, it would not be hard to turn. Once you start adding any preload, the input shaft will become tight to turn.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks all. i put shims that were close to stock thickness shims that were in there before but already had to remove the countershaft shim to get the main case to seat right. i will pull the input shaft shim and go from there. so it should spin rather easy in N? is this what im gathering. i don't want to put to much stress on the bearings but know these t56 like to be tight
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

can you elaborate this confused me...Right and the spec is what it is.

After all, how many people would consider an uninstalled manual trans. bad due to lateral play in the input shaft. jmd
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by purple98haz28
ok thanks all. i put shims that were close to stock thickness shims that were in there before but already had to remove the countershaft shim to get the main case to seat right. i will pull the input shaft shim and go from there. so it should spin rather easy in N? is this what im gathering. i don't want to put to much stress on the bearings but know these t56 like to be tight
"How easy it is to spin" is an immeasurable amount. Tremec does not have a torque measurement for this to which the trans. should be built, nor did Borg Warner. The endplay amounts are the spec to which the trans. needs to be built.

Originally Posted by purple98haz28
can you elaborate this confused me...Right and the spec is what it is.

After all, how many people would consider an uninstalled manual trans. bad due to lateral play in the input shaft. jmd
A layperson might wobble the input shaft of a transmission and note lateral play that seems excessive.

This too is a measurement that does not need attention because the trans. is at that point lacking a support bushing bearing in the crank. Nor is the trans. built to any lateral play spec of the input shaft. It is again end-play of the bearings.

The spec is what the trans. should be built to. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok awesome that makes more sense now. i did notice it did have "wobble" but that did not worry me the reason i opened it up was the pilot bushing was almost no moreand the input shaft was leaking. the teeth that were broken on the cluster gear were broken on the back half of the teeth telling me that tooth contact was not correct...the reason i chose to do bearings as well. again thaks for all your help i will be removing the shim from input shaft and checking again.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the input shaft wobble. Before the rebuild, mine had a nticable amount of wobble but I also understand that the pilot bushing helps to stabilize the input shaft once installed. As I entioned before, I determined that the mainshaft clearance was way off.

After I set the clearance to .001", a great deal of that of the input shaft wobble was gone so I think its safe to say depending on how much it wobbles, it could indicate a main shaft clearance issue.

Quick Reply: mainshaft endplay question