Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

smoothest aftermarket shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smoothest aftermarket shifter

Who makes the smoothest aftermarket shifter. I have the stock non hurst in my car now. I have trouble hitting third when shifting fast and want a shorter throw. I dd the car, and its not a race car, so I dont want something I have to slam into gear every time I shift. I really dont hate the stock shifter. If it had a stronger centering spring in it I think I could hit third better. I kind of like the longer smoother shifts.

Options so far are:

I found a pro 5.0 local for pretty cheap but Ive heard they are very notchy. Im not sure what kind of **** and stick it comes with so I may have to buy that extra.

Buy a new MGW. Ive read multiple times that they are the **** but no one has really given a thorough review. I want to know how much shorter the shifts are vs stock or how smooth the shifting is vs a pro 5.0 or ripper, or even vs the stock shifter. I dont want to hear "Buy MGW. Its the Jesus Christ of shifters you'll love it" I want to know why.

I also found a stock Hurst local I can probably get for under fifty bucks. I dont know how much better a Hurst is vs the non Hurst. Has anyone driven both? If I went with it I would by a short stick for it, Ive heard of a few guys that love the Hurst with a Short stick. Im leaning towards this because its cheap and if I dont like it then I can just re-sale it for what I pay for it. However, I dont want to go through the struggle of changing it if theres gonna be no advantage vs the stock non hurst.

So once again. I want something smooth, that I can hit third with.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it all depends what you like. I had a Hurst, came stock in my ws6. installed a 5.0 which I feel it helps me shift 2nd to 3rd. I had a short stick on both and reinstalled the stick that came with the 5.0 shifter and dont like it so I went back to the short stick. love it!!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Launching!

I have the MGW and its smooth with strong centering springs. I never miss 3rd gear and that was always a problem with any manual car I had. Not any more.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 AM
11 Second Club

Had stock hurst with a LSS and moved on up to MGW, MGW is smooth as butter with strong centering springs, shifting into 3rd has never been better. I know you want some sort of elaborate review but a lot of people aren't good at that. All I can say is it's awesome.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Resident

I just got mgw in the mail...

I'll do a good write up.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I have the MGW and its smooth with strong centering springs. I never miss 3rd gear and that was always a problem with any manual car I had. Not any more.
Somthing wrong with your hand dude. U need relearn
Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got the hurst billet plus in both of my T56 cars. Had every other shifter at one time, and still ended right back to the hurst.

also always have had a short stick on both. and stock "H" ****. cant beat it
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had a B&M Ripper shifter it had very long smooth shifts like your asking about. I Hated it.

I then switched to a hurst billet plus with a 6.5 inch short stick. Its a little more notchy but not to much Great combo you should try it.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The stock non-Hurst is horrible. Moving up to a regular Hurst shifter will be a major improvement. It feels good, too. I didn't like the notchiness of the aftermarket shifters I have driven.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The stock non-Hurst is horrible. Moving up to a regular Hurst shifter will be a major improvement. It feels good, too. I didn't like the notchiness of the aftermarket shifters I have driven.
If the Stock hurst is a noticable difference then I may just try it out. I can get it for under 50 bucks and while I'm in there I can change the fluid which probably needs to be done. From what I'm reading I will eventually go with a Hurst Billet or MGW but don't want to spend over 200 greenbacks right now. Have too many other things that the car needs.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
If the Stock hurst is a noticable difference then I may just try it out. I can get it for under 50 bucks and while I'm in there I can change the fluid which probably needs to be done. From what I'm reading I will eventually go with a Hurst Billet or MGW but don't want to spend over 200 greenbacks right now. Have too many other things that the car needs.
I got my Hurst Billet Plus on ebay new in box for $129 shipped. Keep an eye out you'll find a deal or just buy a used one a good shifter lasta a long time.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I decided on the Hurst Billet Plus due to a member on here offering me a deal on one I couldnt pass up. Hopefully Ill receive it and install it by next week. Ill write a short review on it vs the stocker. Then Ill be ready to hit the track and get some base numbers. Im not even gonna attempt it though with the stock shifter.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Well I decided on the Hurst Billet Plus due to a member on here offering me a deal on one I couldnt pass up. Hopefully Ill receive it and install it by next week. Ill write a short review on it vs the stocker. Then Ill be ready to hit the track and get some base numbers. Im not even gonna attempt it though with the stock shifter.
You'll be happy I love mine.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 AM
8 Second Club

Deff let me know I have the stock hurst and I want something better.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Launching!

I'm very interested as well, currently using the stock non-hurst too :/
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the Hurst in a SS that came with the 01-02's and it was awesome. I haven't tried the Pro 5.0 or MGW. Had a B&M Ripper before and didn't like it. Right now I have a Hurst Billet w/ factory length stick and its a little too notchy for me, although it's only slightly noticeable. So I think I'll go with a factory Hurst & short stick.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure that the Hurst Billet Plus and the 'stock' Hurst are the same shifter, just two different names for it.

As far as shifters are concerned, I'm probably going to get an MGW when I have the scratch, but that's just my .02

David.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Esoteric[TG]
I'm pretty sure that the Hurst Billet Plus and the 'stock' Hurst are the same shifter, just two different names for it.

As far as shifters are concerned, I'm probably going to get an MGW when I have the scratch, but that's just my .02

David.
No there not there not even close to being the same shifter. The stock hurst has a diecast base the billet plus is billet aluminum. The rest of the shifter is also different along with there internals.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you get the Billet Plus, odds are you're going to want to get a short stick. I drove around with the stick that came with it for a while and felt like I was driving a semi. The shifter itsself is amazing, though.
I bought a UMI short stick for it. I like how it angles toward the driver, and it's a much shorter throw. If you go with this stick, you're gonna wanna drop by the hardware store and pick up some nuts to fit the bolts, though, as the bolts they send you won't thread into the Billet Plus shifter. I got those and some spring washers and tightened the hell out of them and haven't had it rattle or come loose.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
If you get the Billet Plus, odds are you're going to want to get a short stick. I drove around with the stick that came with it for a while and felt like I was driving a semi. The shifter itsself is amazing, though.
I bought a UMI short stick for it. I like how it angles toward the driver, and it's a much shorter throw. If you go with this stick, you're gonna wanna drop by the hardware store and pick up some nuts to fit the bolts, though, as the bolts they send you won't thread into the Billet Plus shifter. I got those and some spring washers and tightened the hell out of them and haven't had it rattle or come loose.
Heres the short stick I got for mine it looks great and feels great too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurst...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: smoothest aftermarket shifter