Dispelling the myth about slave cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dispelling the myth about slave cylinders

GM slave that came out of my car.

Autozone Slave

Now, I'm not saying the Autozone slave isn't a decent piece. I haven't used or even installed it yet. It is NOT however the same. The one that was in my car and has been used for god only knows how long looks like it was made MUCH better. The base of the AZ piece looks like they took a GM piece and made a sand cast to reproduce it, and the throw out bearing is completely different. The factory piece, as you can see in the first pic, has USA in the casting and the one from AZ is made in Ol Mexico.

I decided to still run the AZ slave b/c of the numerous members here that have said they've ran it and it worked fine, along with the fact that it was $70 out the door and has a lifetime warranty. If it gives me problems then I will just switch it out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blwn_by_Twins; 05-25-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

yea..... they have a better warranty than who???? and where do you work at trader hahaha jk
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There the same, GM used 2 different looking throw out bearings, the one like your on factory slave, and one like your AZ slave. I also picked up an AZ slave a few weeks ago, when i pulled my factory slave out it had the exact same throw out bearing as the AZ slave.
GM doesn't make slave cylinder's AP does. Not that it really matters, I don't see why everyone want's to argue about it. Just like you said the AZ slave comes with a lifetime warranty, does the "GM" slave? Hell no
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98z-28redcamaro
yea..... they have a better warranty than who???? and where do you work at trader hahaha jk
Everybody's. AZ's is Lifetime. AA's is 1 yr. Not even sure if a GM one has a warranty. If you want to use the AA one.....be my guest. lol

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
There the same, GM used 2 different looking throw out bearings, the one like your on factory slave, and one like your AZ slave. I also picked up an AZ slave a few weeks ago, when i pulled my factory slave out it had the exact same throw out bearing as the AZ slave.
GM doesn't make slave cylinder's AP does. Not that it really matters, I don't see why everyone want's to argue about it. Just like you said the AZ slave comes with a lifetime warranty, does the "GM" slave? Hell no
I'm not so sure about the TO on this one. Looks kinda chitty.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

yall do realize that that part is probably made by X company... that sells the same slave to gm and autozone/oreillys/napa/pep boys just puts them in diff box's and there set at diff prices
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
yall do realize that that part is probably made by X company... that sells the same slave to gm and autozone/oreillys/napa/pep boys just puts them in diff box's and there set at diff prices
They are not the same. This is what I'm saying. If they are made by the same company, they are made two different ways.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
lifetime warranty...problems...just switch it out
The OEM is a quality piece -if you can pay the price. Just saying. Don't know how many times you want change it, no sweat off their ***** to give you another and shove it back up the vendor's ***. Not flaming you -I hope it really works out, let us know afterward. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chinese copy. They're getting pretty good at mimicking looks, not quality.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Launching!

How much does a "real" OEM part cost?

Do the original ones fail often? If so when should they be replaced?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has already been dispelled long ago. As already stated AP makes the slaves. So weather you buy a GM unit or a Autozone unit its the same part. There was changes to the slave though over the years. If your car is a 98-99 and even some 00's you could have the older version. Now when you go to the parts store to get a slave you get the updated version. You cannot buy a stock OEM version of a 98-00 slave, all hydrolics sold are the version that went into the 01-02 models. That goes for slave & master cylinder.

If I remember correctly a member on here removed his stock master & checked it side by side against the duralast master from Autozone & everything was the same on the master. The sticker, casting marks, everything. but it was only $65 with a lifetime warranty VS the GM unit for over $100 with only a 1yr warranty. The difference on that part was the one from the dealer comes with a new braided line & already bled, the Duralast version does not.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
This has already been dispelled long ago. As already stated AP makes the slaves. So weather you buy a GM unit or a Autozone unit its the same part. There was changes to the slave though over the years. If your car is a 98-99 and even some 00's you could have the older version. Now when you go to the parts store to get a slave you get the updated version. You cannot buy a stock OEM version of a 98-00 slave, all hydrolics sold are the version that went into the 01-02 models. That goes for slave & master cylinder.

If I remember correctly a member on here removed his stock master & checked it side by side against the duralast master from Autozone & everything was the same on the master. The sticker, casting marks, everything. but it was only $65 with a lifetime warranty VS the GM unit for over $100 with only a 1yr warranty. The difference on that part was the one from the dealer comes with a new braided line & already bled, the Duralast version does not.
That is what I just did. And once again, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. They may have some of the same markings, but they ARE DIFFERENT. The GM part has USA & a GM symbol cast in it. It is a smooth casting and doesn't look cheaply made. The AZ one does have AP, and the D95 number on it, but is nowhere near the quality of the GM piece. Once again, I'm not saying that it's not a good piece, but they are NOT the same.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

I've got 3 GM slaves on me now, 1 from 98, 2 performance GM ones and now a vette slave. I also had opportunity to compare to a buddies 2 vette slaves as well.

The autozone parts are not the same. Something about the metal seems off. Matches the casting marks, but reeks of knockoff copy from China.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SladeX
I've got 3 GM slaves on me now, 1 from 98, 2 performance GM ones and now a vette slave. I also had opportunity to compare to a buddies 2 vette slaves as well.

The autozone parts are not the same. Something about the metal seems off. Matches the casting marks, but reeks of knockoff copy from China.
Exactly! Thats what I mean by it looks like they took a sand cast of a GM one and copied it. If it works, it works. They are however, not the same pieces.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

I compared my stock GM slave to my auto zone slave and they are the same.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I compared my stock GM slave to my auto zone slave and they are the same.
You are running this TO bearing w/ no problems, correct?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

I got a slave from autozone a month ago and it looks like the gm one u have pictured. Try different autozones.

Btw the bottom one u have looks like my original sl
Old 05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
You are running this TO bearing w/ no problems, correct?

yes, it looks exactly the same as the one that was on my stock slave cylinder, it works fine, like i said GM had two different style throw out bearings, the one on the AZ slave is the newer GM style.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

There was an issue with the delphi replacements leaking despite looking near identical. Quality of the cast and material used to create can make a huge difference in the final product. It just feels wrong when you hold both pieces in your hands despite having the same everything. All the official GM ones felt well built, consistent for the ones I have on hand.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

So all the AZ slaves and throwout bearings are the 01-02 style? Doesn't anyone (Tick, Tliton, sponsor, etc) make a high performance one?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

While I have replaced my slave with each clutch change, I have not had a single GM performance one fail on me. I'm now running a Corvette part piece, but aside from the connectors (which I switched over) and the throwout bearing, they are near identical.

The GM performance piece seems to be a good quality piece. It's $135 at summit.

Quick Reply: Dispelling the myth about slave cylinders