Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mity vac?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mity vac?

So it looks like I need to change my master. I want to minimize bleeding efforts as it looks like changing clutch fluid will be part of regular maintenance. I was thinking of gravity bleed/flushing the system and then a final bleed by vacuum? Is this the way to go and is the Mityvac the tool to use? I added this link and I think kit MV8020 is the one?
http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp
Thanks, Les...
Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes you can also get one at your local o'reillys. that is where i got mine
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine at autozone but it will have a OEM brand tools sticker on the book but when u open it up it says mity vac right on it I think it was only $30.
I think my slave cylinder is going out so I've had to use it a couple of times but I use it fallowing this GM TSB https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...procedure.html. heres a write up that shows pictgures on how to do it http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm. Now 5 people will jump all me saying that they heard from some guy that heard from his friend that heard from his brother-in-laws third cousin that it will flip your master cylinder or slave cylinders seals inside out, to bad there both O-rings so there is no real way to flip then inside out. sorry for the rant but I think its a good way to get that last bit of air out that you can't get out with traditional bleeding and its saved me from drilling a hole in my car to bleed my clutch. oh and dont forget to bench bleed your new master cylinder or you'll be bleeding it forever.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Launching!

OK, that's helpful, thanks. I spoke to Joey about a new master which I have to go through a third party for Canada shipping. He say's vacuum bleeding can introduce air through the cap on the Tick master, so I am back to pumping the pedal? How do the Tick owners get their masters bled?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Mity Vac is a super handy tool, and it can double as a vacuum gauge. I'd get one for your toolbox anyway.

When it comes to brakes and hydraulic clutches, if you can't afford a decent pressure bleeder setup, just gravity bleed the system. Harbor Freight sells a cheap kit for $25 that keeps the reservoir full while bleeding. I only use the reservoir filler bottle, I don't even bother with the vacuum canister. Gravity doesn't take very long at all. I can flush an entire brake system in 20-25 minutes. A clutch in even less time.

FYI, whatever you do, never, never, ever reverse bleed brakes. It'll shove any crap in the old fluid back up into the ABS unit. Those valves are very sensitive to debris... reverse bleeding is bad ju-ju.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Got mine @ Amazon fwiw
Old 09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 T/A
So it looks like I need to change my master. I want to minimize bleeding efforts
JMD method works for that.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
Wow, too simple! So the "remote bleeder line" that Tick sells does the same thing?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmd
I've been working to get the last bits of air from my new slave since istalling an LS7 clutch. After reading the JMD method, I'll have to give that a try. I have an East Coast Performance speed-bleed, so the bleed port is now right next to the reservoir. That should make it an easy experiment

Quick Reply: Mity vac?