Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How is your Spec Clutch working for you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Denmon

Was just wondering how your Spec clutchs are holding up, as i'm probably soon going to order a stage 1.
the spec 1 is just a stock replacement type clutch with organic disc. If you car is basically stock just about any replacement clutch kit will work as well IMHO.

If you are making more power than stock you might want to think about another level. My 2+ did not last long but did hold well while it lasted (1 season). My $02 is Kevlar is not a good clutch disc material for a street car. Track only maybe.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it! But after having my water pump go out, and getting a flat at a local cruise, and a speeding ticket, im financially even further away from getting a new clutch
I do however accept donations
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

I like my Stage 2+. No one else that drives the car does, though It would be a little much for a DD in a lot of stop and go traffic, but I don't have those issues.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive in stop go traffic all the time with my Stage 2+ clutch. Seems to be holding up well to my abuse.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The 2+ will not normally be that prone to chatter. That being said, how many miles are on the clutch now? Where does engagement occur? Keep in mind that your technique for releasing the pedal can lead to more chatter than would be typical too...quick and smooth are the ideal way to release the pedal. If you drag your foot or slip it excessively then it will always be more apt to chatter.

Jeremy, I have adopted a better technique through the years in releasing the clutch pedal compared to the stock setup. I have about 6,500 miles on the clutch and it has smoothed out with time. Engagement occurs at the top of the pedal and I love the clamping force this thing has.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

I have used the 2+ in my past 4 cars and never experienced excessive chatter (even during the break-in process). Driving style plays a hugh part in clutch longevity, smoothness, and overall performance and with the number of options that we provide there are options that fit any ouput and need-set out there.

Our Stage 1 is not merely a stock replacement, though it is the closest thing that we offer to a stock like package. It uses a high-carbon organic material that has a greater coeffecient of friction than the stock organic and the plate has a greater clamp-load that the OE unit too. Additionally it eliminates the vague ratcheting SAC design of the stock clutch assembly. Stage 1 provides better capacity and performance than the stock units or the LS7 "upgrades" currently available.

Quick Reply: How is your Spec Clutch working for you?