Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Unsprung clutch disks in street cars (newer twin disks)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Unsprung clutch disks in street cars (newer twin disks)

Whats your take on these? I'm pretty experianced with transmission rebuilds, rears, clutches, etc so I'd like to keep this as advanced as possible. I notice a lot of twins are using them and I have been considering a twin from ACT or Mcleod which both have solid hub disks. I know on some import cars I've seen the splines wear on the input shaft from unsprung disks on the street so I'm a little unsure what I want to do. I know the weight is kept down with them and they will shift at higher rpm, but if they cause extra wear on the input shaft thats no good.

This will be going in a vette so it does have a driveshaft with rubber couplers in between the clutch and trans which should help absorb some of the vibration, etc. Not sure about you guys with a standard trans layout and unsprung disks. Anybody have spline wear from these unsprung disks on street cars?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the ACT myself, also interested in the findings.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The main purpose of the damper springs in the disk is to reduce the shock (when you dump the clutch) to the tranny input shaft as well as every other component all the way to the rear end. By going with a springless disk or disks, there will likely be some additional stress and possibly wear to all of the components making up the drive train. I have seen posts with street twins causing extra wear of the T56 input stub and if I had to place the blame, I would blame the springless disk. Not sure about your vette rearend but a run of the mill 10 bolt would be subjected to a sooner death due to a springless disk.

As you have already mentioned, losing the springs makes for a much lighter disk that will allow for much faster shifting under performance due to the disk being allowed to change its speeds faster (less inertia). Also there is less chance for disk explosion with a springless disk or disks.

If its a street ride, I would keep the springs if given the option as to maintain the greatest reliability possible. Another way of lightening the disk is to address the friction surfaces. Some clearly weigh more than others. I had a Spec 3+ disk and it was around 2 pounds heavier than the stock disk and it was apparent when high speed shifting.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, pretty much what you said, but the sprung disks also eat up a lot of the torsional vibration as the engine rotates. Certian engines (4 cylinders, etc) have different vibration traits that might be worse or better (depending on rpm) so it hard to say in our applications. Corvettes have a driveshaft (torque tube) between the engine and transmission that has rubber quibos which might help absorb some of the vibration. Having that driveshaft in front of the trans also adds extra load on the syncros, hence the reason corvettes have double and triple cone blocker rings, etc. I figure the standard transmission configuration would take more vibration, but it's hard to say without measurments.

It would be nice to hear from people that have been using unsprung disks (single or twin) for extended periods on the street. I like the idea of light disks making fast shifting, but a twin has two disks that are a little smaller in size so the MOI should be less. When you have two disks it's ahrd to say how they would compare to a larger single disk. Seems like most guys love how the Mcleod rxt/rst and ACT feel on the street so I'm most concerned with input shaft damage over time.

Last edited by slowride; 02-13-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been using a mccelod in mine for 5 yrs and i just pulled the trans last week and the splines on the input are indeed worn. Id say about 20k miles of use.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Is it a newer RXT/RST or the older twin? Are they toast or just worn some? Input shafts are hard to come be for vettes also which stinks (Like a $500 part at the dealer). The ls9 twin disks have a sprung hub, but are quite expensive for a factory part. The only time I've seen a factory car use a unsprung disk is when the flywheel is dual mass as it takes up some of the impact/vibration.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

I have an rxt. I have a new one now. The other one wore out.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

So the disk wore out or both? Were you able to reuse the input shaft? Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to understand the extent of the damage.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
9 Second Club

The disk wore out. The input shaft i reused. It was actually a tighter fit because of the way it wore into the input. Next time i pull it out ill change the input.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey any of you checked out Mantic Clutches, they have a series of MOI Twins in there line up
Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

I've hear of them, but they are solid hub disks also. I'm just looking for actual data on the effect of these sold hub disks that have been run on street cars. All the clutches in this thread probably have there pros and cons.

Quick Reply: Unsprung clutch disks in street cars (newer twin disks)