Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Smoked lastnight!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Smoked lastnight!

Took off from a friends house last night, his buddy wanted me to do a little burn out, so i thought about it and decided to go for it.. yeah well they got some smoke but not from the tires.. I didn't realize it was the clutch slipping until i grabbed second gear. Luckily Its still driving, (its hasn't slipped anymore) but i think I'm on borrowed time.. any suggestions on which clutch i should go with??
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPS triple carbon
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A2000
Took off from a friends house last night, his buddy wanted me to do a little burn out, so i thought about it and decided to go for it.. yeah well they got some smoke but not from the tires.. I didn't realize it was the clutch slipping until i grabbed second gear. Luckily Its still driving, (its hasn't slipped anymore) but i think I'm on borrowed time.. any suggestions on which clutch i should go with??
What are your future plans for the car? We offer a Monster Complete Clutch Package that has everything that you need to do a proper replacement. If you are planning to just do minor performance upgrades then I would recommend the Monster Stage 2. It has similar pedal pressure and drive ability as a factory clutch with increase torque holding capacity. If you are planning to really take your car to the next level and make 500-700hp/tq, then the Monster Stage 3 would be the way to go, it has a little firmer pedal pressure than the factory but is still street friendly. Keep in mind that Clutch hydraulics are extremely important for the life of the clutch and essentially the transmission. That is the beauty of our complete clutch packages it comes with it all! Check it out below.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

T/A2000, What is your torque output? What are your plans for the future? Let me know and I will be happy to provide a recommendation. I have listed the link to our page, specific to these parts below. Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single
Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Launching!

currently the car is completely stock, that is temporary it's getting a ls7 transplant this year sometime.. with more to come in the near future..
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM
FormerVendor

Cool, even with the LS7 you would be fine with a SPEC Stage 1 or Stage 2. I suggest getting the clutch and flywheel together as this will allow you to forgo the stock SAC/ratcheting style stock plate which is needed for use with the stock flywheel. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

currently the car is completely stock, that is temporary it's getting a ls7 transplant this year sometime.. with more to come in the near future..
just put an LS7 clutch in mine. I love it. super easy pedal effort and drives like stock.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

I understand the thought that the LS7 is an upgrade but in reality it provides no real benefit over the stock LS1 kit. These stock plates use the aforementioned SAC-type ratcheting mechanism that adjusts the plate depth relative to disc wear. Though theoretically a "good idea" this allows for miss-adjustment which affects clutch release and performance. Additionally the stock plate has less clamp-load and the disc has a lower friction coefficient than our Stage 1 kit. The choice is yours of course, but if you are replacing the clutch you would be better off going with something other than the LS7 unit. I am sure some will view this as a sales pitch, but I am talking to you from the perspective of someone that regularly sells clutches to folks that have installed LS7 kits and found that they need/want a higher performance, higher capacity, more consistent and better overall option.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I will not be using the ls7 kit. I'm looking for something that is going to hold up to the mod's I have planned for my car. The other part of this is, that it will be on road courses from time to time so.. it needs to be able to take some abuse
Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Our SPEC Stage 2+ or 3 would be great for a car that sees street and road-race usage. I'm a road-race guy too and I have run both in cars that see similar duty. The 2+ will be a bit more street friendly. Let me know if you have any further questions! Thanks,
Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

I'm doing some shopping, i will let you know within the the next week or so..

`thanks
Jason
Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
RPS triple carbon
LOL

Originally Posted by Chris-Tick
What are your future plans for the car? We offer a Monster Complete Clutch Package that has everything that you need to do a proper replacement. If you are planning to just do minor performance upgrades then I would recommend the Monster Stage 2. It has similar pedal pressure and drive ability as a factory clutch with increase torque holding capacity. If you are planning to really take your car to the next level and make 500-700hp/tq, then the Monster Stage 3 would be the way to go, it has a little firmer pedal pressure than the factory but is still street friendly. Keep in mind that Clutch hydraulics are extremely important for the life of the clutch and essentially the transmission. That is the beauty of our complete clutch packages it comes with it all! Check it out below.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/
Good info, however, all of our Level 1-4 clutches utilize the same pressure plate. The pedal stiffness is roughly 8% stiffer than stock on all of these, the disc in the Level 1 and 2 are less aggressive thus they drive just like stock, the 3 and 4 are more aggressive and those will take some adjusted driving habits to be smooth which is super easy to do.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
LOL

Good info, however, all of our Level 1-4 clutches utilize the same pressure plate. The pedal stiffness is roughly 8% stiffer than stock on all of these, the disc in the Level 1 and 2 are less aggressive thus they drive just like stock, the 3 and 4 are more aggressive and those will take some adjusted driving habits to be smooth which is super easy to do.

Yeah that RPS clutch is crazy money... lol I looked it just for giggles and why the F would anyone spend that kind of money on a clutch

I am still trying to decide on a clutch for my car lol sooo many options,
one question i do have is what are the advantages or draw backs of a twin disk clutch? VS and single
Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah that RPS clutch is crazy money... lol I looked it just for giggles and why the F would anyone spend that kind of money on a clutch

I am still trying to decide on a clutch for my car lol sooo many options,
one question i do have is what are the advantages or draw backs of a twin disk clutch? VS and single
Give me a call and I'll go over a few things with you.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
just put an LS7 clutch in mine. I love it. super easy pedal effort and drives like stock.
My buddy had an LS7 clutch too but didn't last long once he did his MS4 h/c package. Started slipping once he got on it with 555's.

I've had my McLeod single in since the summer of 06. Almost 6 years and a handful of track passes. Still strong! I'd highly recomend giving them a call and they will help you out. I think the 6 years in my h/c ~500fwhp car speaks for itself.

For the LS7, they may go with the RXT route, with your current setup, you couldn't go wrong with a single disc or an RST.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Ordering Monster 3 with tick master and all the goodies tonight or tomorrow can the deal get any better? that's a bit of cash
Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Launching!

well it has been a long time since i started this, had a few set backs and could in no way even think about spending over $500 on the car.. House caught on fire and we practically lost everything but our cars, and a few odds and ends things.. but I did finally get to order my clutch and everything here are some pictures

Clutch Smoked lastnight!-clutch-disc.jpgClutch Smoked lastnight!-flywheel.jpgClutch Smoked lastnight!-pressure-plate.jpgClutch Smoked lastnight!-thm_phpbukmwh.jpgClutch Smoked lastnight!-car.jpg
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Get that thing installed and report back
Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you got it back up and running or close to it!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Launching!

no those were just pics along the way its already done.. but man that damn thing is almost like an on off switch at first

Quick Reply: Clutch Smoked lastnight!