Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012 | 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default T-56 help

Okay, so last April i had mine rebuild in my 98 t/a. One thing I've notice is not just chattering noise when in neutral and chatter stops when clutch pushed in and then starts up when I release clutch while still in N... but the shifter too has a lot of play while driving in gear more than other gear... like 5th, shifter handle won't move back n worth while IN gear than say 3rd which has at the shifter **** moves a total of an inch WHILE IN GEAR.. I brought it back to AAMCO and they said if they took it apart they wouldn't find anything.
Also, sometimes while stopped 1st gear seems to not be aligned up in gear but DOES NOT give me trouble getting into 1st. Like clutch in, attemp to go into 1st, won't go, clutch released, clutch in, goes into 1st no problem...???

An help much appreciated!!
Old 03-14-2012 | 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone? also just replaced the master clutch cylinder and on WOT the clutch pedal sticks... pressure plate?
Old 03-29-2012 | 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE.. I changed out the clutch master cylinder and bled line... clutch still works flawless until WOT... once it redlines.... cltch pedal sticks to the floor... PRESSURE PLATE???
Old 03-30-2012 | 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Aamco is garbage. They replaced a clutch on my Ta and re used all parts except the clutch itself.

I'm not joking when I say they fucked you. I guarantee they charged you for parts they did not use.

I purchased my trans am for cheap because the owner was told there was nothing wrong with his transmission when they failed to put in a new slave, new pressure plate, new throw out bearing. The car rattled like hell and had a massive vibration above 2500 and they refused to work on it and said the motor was toasted. Please look up their reviews on google.

The slave and throw out bearing need to be replaced. Take it anywhere but aamco to fix it, not joking when I say they intentionally re use old parts and charge you for new ones. Check their reviews

My throw out bearing rattled any time you depressed the clutch
My car vibrated because they did not correctly tighten the flywheel
The previous owner gave me the invoice and they charged him for all new parts and a disposal fee for the old ones

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-30-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2012 | 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Btw the rattle is a bad throw out bearing, they re used the old throw out bearing and the old slave.

It's probably sticking because the slave is contacting the throw out bearing

almost forgot, they also completely screwed up the connection from the master to the slave and jb welded it back together and it was causing the pedal to slip as well

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-30-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2012 | 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah... i paid $500 separately to buy a LUK clutch kit with throw out bearing and slave cylinder though. why wouldn't they use it? It was the expensive kit they had good for 500hp... i mean the car drives fine... sometimes trying to go into third only upshifting at lower rpms (under 3k) feels like something is getting in the way but still goes into 3rd. some of the gears were bad from prev. owner grinding goes the sychroids were going out, so they i guess filed out the flat/bad spots or whatever and re-used the gears. I spent 2600 on the rebuild...
Old 03-31-2012 | 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Did you actually see the parts get installed?
Old 04-03-2012 | 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

of course not... cause when i can afford to have the car down... i'll take it to 'my guy' for an inspection. if that's the case, i'll take aamco to small claims for a clutch kit and labor it'll be costing me. Since you seem to know about transmissions...
I feel a HUGE diefference between my 2002 Z M6 shifter to my 98 t/a M6. The t/a has lots of play while shifter in gear. The Z I feel and hear the firmness of moving the shifter at all times. Makes the crisp clanking noise where my t/a is weak and makes dull clanking noise. Is it the shifter cup bushing? or something internally weak in the t/a t56?
Thanks
Old 04-04-2012 | 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

i havent personally seen any shifters that feel sloppy in gear. I know about the transmissions but i can not speak for anything internally.

If you dont do any of the work yourself you might need to call a transmission rebuild vendor and ask him for his opinion on your situation. Tick, TDP or any other shop im sure could answer your questions relatively quickly

but bottom line i would have your slave and throwout bearing replaced and always ask for the old parts from any shop that works on your car. Never take their word that they replaced a belt or put new brake pads on without seeing your old parts. but thats me im paranoid about shops
Old 04-05-2012 | 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
i havent personally seen any shifters that feel sloppy in gear. I know about the transmissions but i can not speak for anything internally.

If you dont do any of the work yourself you might need to call a transmission rebuild vendor and ask him for his opinion on your situation. Tick, TDP or any other shop im sure could answer your questions relatively quickly

but bottom line i would have your slave and throwout bearing replaced and always ask for the old parts from any shop that works on your car. Never take their word that they replaced a belt or put new brake pads on without seeing your old parts. but thats me im paranoid about shops
He did ask if i wanted to see the old clutch which only had 15% or so life left... but i didn't think about taking the old parts cause they're in a military town and I'm in the military and word would get passed quickly if they fucked some1 over... but i couldn't trust even my own friend back home with my race car (he parted out behind my back and got caught) nonetheless some stranger... I'll go down there tomorrow and be a jerk about it cause I'm not paying twice for this **** and i will spread the word since they are around 3 major Marine Corps Camps in San Diego...

Quick Reply: T-56 help