Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tail Housing Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tail Housing Bushing

I am in the process of rebuilding my T56 and I popped out the tail housing bushing because it was galled up. I bought a Rockland no-walk bushing from Tick but have read that it's not a direct replacement. I have also read that I should use a "stock" bushing instead. Where can I even find a stock bushing?

I'm hoping to do this with as little machining as possible. I don't trust anyone in my area to do this properly. The T56 is going into my Silverado which is still in one piece so I can take it to work, but I suppose I could pop out the front driveshaft and measure the OD of yoke if needed.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

"stock" bushings are installed at the factory THEN machined to size. You won't get a stock one. So , you are right, there is no direct replacement other than a new extension housing assembly.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I talked to Chris at Tick and he said the Rockland bushing is a direct replacement, and that they use it in a lot of their T56 builds. Obviously they aren't measuring the yoke OD and comparing it to the bushing ID when they do this. I don't think the customer is sending in their yoke with the T56.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replace the tailshaft housing, it'll be cheaper in the long run. when the Rockland Standard "no walk" bushing spins in the bore of the tailshaft & destroys the slip yoke & renders the tailshaft housing useless, you'll wish you just put a new tailshaft housing on & been done. I learned the hard way
Old 03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I talked to Chris at Tick and he said the Rockland bushing is a direct replacement, and that they use it in a lot of their T56 builds
That's funny because Jonathan at Tick told me basically the opposite.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a pain to press them in without the proper tools.

If you search my posts, there's some ways of doing it.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
just replace the tailshaft housing, it'll be cheaper in the long run. when the Rockland Standard "no walk" bushing spins in the bore of the tailshaft & destroys the slip yoke & renders the tailshaft housing useless, you'll wish you just put a new tailshaft housing on & been done. I learned the hard way
Did you "punch" a bit of the tail housing aluminum into the grooves of the bushing to prevent it from walking or spinning?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

I rarely have issues with the bushing walking out of the housing. The ones that did were due to screw up drive line angle issues. I use the regular TH350 bushing and hand fit it to housing with a touch of lock tite. It can be a pain in the *** but I just don't really see any issues with the bushing coming out if everything is right in the first place.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I talked to Chris at Tick and he said the Rockland bushing is a direct replacement, and that they use it in a lot of their T56 builds. Obviously they aren't measuring the yoke OD and comparing it to the bushing ID when they do this. I don't think the customer is sending in their yoke with the T56.
The Rockland bushing is a direct replacement tail housing bushing. As far as the dimensions they are not the same, nor the metal compound (so technically one could say that it isnt a "direct" replacement). However, when you get the factory bushing out, there should be no modification to the tail housing needed.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 03-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

The hole in the bushing should line up with the oiling slot on the bottom of the housing.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
The Rockland Tail housing bushing is in a sense a last ditch effort to save the tail housing. Most of the time when your factory bushing is toast it has already spun in the housing causing a slightly larger bore of the hole. If in fact that is the case, then yes the rockland bushing could spin in the housing. However, chances are that it wasnt the rockland bushing that failed, it was due to the factory bushing destroying the housing not allowing the rockland to fit tightly to prevent it too from spinning. The rockland was designed to be longer to travel in areas of the tail housing untouched by the factory bushing, but a lot of times we will see cases where the wear was so bad that the extra length of the rockland would not even help the matter, in that case.... a new tail housing is needed.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
The hole in the bushing should line up with the oiling slot on the bottom of the housing.
Thanks for the replies Chris. There isn't an oiling slot in the direct bottom. There are two slots, offset 180 from each other. The bottom-most slot is offset slightly to the passenger side, and the upper slot lines up with the hole in the bottom of the shifter box (don't know the technical term for it).

The one install writeup I found on here said to line the hole up with the bottom of the shifter box so the oil can drain out of there. I can't find this link anymore though.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the replies Chris. There isn't an oiling slot in the direct bottom. There are two slots, offset 180 from each other. The bottom-most slot is offset slightly to the passenger side, and the upper slot lines up with the hole in the bottom of the shifter box (don't know the technical term for it).

The one install writeup I found on here said to line the hole up with the bottom of the shifter box so the oil can drain out of there. I can't find this link anymore though.

Yes it isnt directly on the bottom. The slot on the bottom side of the tail housing, slightly off to the side is the one you line it up with. From your picture here it looks like it is going to be the one you can see clearly in the pic.

Quick Reply: Tail Housing Bushing