Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, that is customer service....
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Back home from MGW. George was super nice and spent over an hour messing with springs and shims until he had the shifter returning perfect to my liking. He also let me pick out a custom shift **** and he assembled it, and also changed out my handle to accommodate the new ****. I would never buy another shifter from anyone else. I liked the shifter when it wasn't centering. I love it now. It's smooth, quick, comfortable, and not notchy at all! Best customer service experience I've ever had!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Teching In

So it was the shifter??? Post a quick vid so we can see the difference.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

It wasn't the shifter. The springs originally on the MGW shifters should have centered for me, we figured that there must be something bent or worn behind my shift rail that we couldn't see. I did discover a cut on the inside of the housing right beside the shift rail, almost as if it got bent at some point, cut into the housing, then got repaired. Probably has something to do with it. I still can't believe how much trouble George went through to get my shifter strong enough to center itself. The strongest viper springs he had + 2 shims, and he did all of the work himself. He wasn't obligated to help me at all since the replacement he sent me passed all QC tests, but he did...and I appreciate it so much. I couldn't be happier with this shifter. I'll post up a vid tomorrow when I get in the car.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, glad to hear you got it fixed. It's companies like this that keep you loyal with great service! I love my MGW, and this just gives me more appreciation for it. Interested in a vid as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having the same issue and MGW thinks it might be an issue with the trans itself. They think there are centering springs in the trans when there aren't any actually. It will center from 1-2 but not from 5-6. The stock shifter centers fine. I'm wondering if it has to do with interference with the shifter cup. Perhaps the MGW arm is too long putting a bending force on the shift rail causing it to bind and not center? I am using a bronze cup that is secured in place with a bit of RTV.

I don't want to bandaid the issue with stronger springs. If the stock shifter with its weak springs can center, and the MGW with its strong springs can't, then there is a design flaw beyond the springs.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
MGW thinks it might be an issue with the trans itself.
Narrow scope intelligence. :shrug:

Quick Reply: Shifter not centering itself 2.0