Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 experts needed

What is the secret to removing the two Torx bolts on the top of the case (the ones that hold the shift rail guide)? I have twisted up two torx bits without budging either one.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Teching In

They suck, you need a good torx bit. i use a bit from MAC tools, but i broke it last time i took mine apart.. If i knew a company that made good bits i'd tell ya but i have the same problem myself...
Old 03-27-2004, 05:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Arrow

It has to be a Torx Plus 40. Regular Torx won't do it. My bits are Allen brand.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by black94z
They suck, you need a good torx bit. i use a bit from MAC tools, but i broke it last time i took mine apart.. If i knew a company that made good bits i'd tell ya but i have the same problem myself...
Heh. I can tell you that Craftsman torx bits don't work. Maybe I can run a Mac or SnapOn truck down. Or maybe I just take it to Chevy ...
Old 03-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

SNAP ON torks with a 3/8 dive to 1/2 on a 1/2 inpack gun but the key is have ing a good torks. (SNAP ON , MAC , OR S/K) I used my snap on so i know they wount brake.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

There is Loc-Tite on the bolts, the way I got mine out the first time was to have 2 people help, one to hold the tranny still, one to tap on the breaker bar with the torx bit, keeping it firmly seated, and me pulling on the breaker bar to finally get them loose. If you're really having alot of trouble with them, you can also carefully heat them up just a little with a torch to "unglue" the Loc-Tite. Hope this helps, oh and also, a good investment is in a really good set of Torx bits for things like this. You'll just keep snapping off the cheap ones and or ruin the head of your bolts. Keep the cheap ones for simple projects.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

I've got a torch and thought of that, but I think I still need a good bit. I don't know where to find Mac tools, or even Snap On today. I've never heard of Allen brand tools or Torx Plus.

Thanks for all the help. I understand the problem now.

Side note: It has been many years since I was inside a T10 or Muncie, but I am impressed with the size of the gears and synchros in the T56. It seems pretty beefy to me.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used a regular Craftsman Torx bit with little problem 3/8 drive. It wouldn't budge so I just pushed down hard on the top of the rachet and hit the handle with a block of wood. After about 3-4 good cracks on it the bolt moved enough that I could turn it by hand.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Heating with a torch is the ONLY easy method.

Sometimes they come out by hand, with significant force.

Sometimes they don't. Only with the torch. Make the loctite bubble. This makes them come out easily when the loctite is hot (warning, it's HOT ).

I have ruined at least 5 T40 bits on those bolts. I usually write off one per tranny I rebuild.

AutoZone has some decent (the more expensive, about $5 ea) T40 bits - with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. (ahem)

On my first tranny rebuild (my own), I boogered one of those bolts so bad that I had to have a nut welded on top of it - to get a socket wrench on it - to take it out.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kossuth
I just used a regular Craftsman Torx bit with little problem 3/8 drive. It wouldn't budge so I just pushed down hard on the top of the rachet and hit the handle with a block of wood. After about 3-4 good cracks on it the bolt moved enough that I could turn it by hand.
I trashed two Craftsman and one Leslie Torx bits.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Heating with a torch is the ONLY easy method.

Sometimes they come out by hand, with significant force.

Sometimes they don't. Only with the torch. Make the loctite bubble. This makes them come out easily when the loctite is hot (warning, it's HOT ).

I have ruined at least 5 T40 bits on those bolts. I usually write off one per tranny I rebuild.

AutoZone has some decent (the more expensive, about $5 ea) T40 bits - with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. (ahem)

On my first tranny rebuild (my own), I boogered one of those bolts so bad that I had to have a nut welded on top of it - to get a socket wrench on it - to take it out.
Great info! Is the locktite destroyed by the heat or do you have to crank it out while hot?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

As the loctite cools, the bolt gets harder to turn. I usually do it at my buddy's shop (he has Oxy/Acet tanks there, I don't have tanks at my house any more). He hits it with the torch, and as soon as he turns away, I'm on it with a breaker bar / torx bit. Carefully on it tho.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
As the loctite cools, the bolt gets harder to turn. I usually do it at my buddy's shop (he has Oxy/Acet tanks there, I don't have tanks at my house any more). He hits it with the torch, and as soon as he turns away, I'm on it with a breaker bar / torx bit. Carefully on it tho.
Gottcha. I ordered a Torx Plus bit to be ready for the next time. Since I want to get the gears sent off to Liberty, I threw the carcass in the wife's 'vert and had her run by Chevy this AM. She said the guy used and impact and bit and had them out is a few seconds. The best part is, for FREE!!

Quick Reply: T56 experts needed