Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

just finished M6 swap-won't go in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just finished M6 swap-won't go in gear

So I just finished my A4-M6 swap and I tried to put the car into gear while it was running with the wheels on the ground and I couldn't put it into any gear. I am waiting for my Tick MC but they're on backorder for 2 weeks. I have a LS7 clutch, brand new stock master and slave, I installed a shim for a total of 1/8" clearance when slave is bottomed out. My clutch pedal is alot lower than the brake pedal (~2" lower). Is there anything I can do to get my car working now?? Or do I have to wait till I get the Tick MC? Did I maybe install something wrong? Please help.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bleed some more. You need to bleed the **** outta those things. I always used a mighty-vac, its a great investment and really makes it easier.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Ok I'll pick up a mityvac and bleed some more. It just seems weird since my pedal feels pretty hard and returns right away. I didn't think that would mean it needs to be bled some more.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Bleed some more. You need to bleed the **** outta those things. I always used a mighty-vac, its a great investment and really makes it easier.
X2, a mighty vac works great at getting the air out of the clutch. OP Why would you use a shim on an LS7 clutch?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
X2, a mighty vac works great at getting the air out of the clutch. OP Why would you use a shim on an LS7 clutch?

I used a shim because when I measured the total clearance when the slave is compressed, it was larger then 1/8". I was told 1/16" - 1/8" is ideal.

Does it make sence that my pedal is still fairly hard and I just need to bleed it more?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001TransAm
I used a shim because when I measured the total clearance when the slave is compressed, it was larger then 1/8". I was told 1/16" - 1/8" is ideal.

Does it make sence that my pedal is still fairly hard and I just need to bleed it more?
No it doesnt. When I installed my LS7 back in 08 my biggest problem was getting any kind of pedal, didnt want to bleed until I found out about the mityvac. In 5 minutes I had the air out, pedal felt solid & worked great, even with the stock MC. I didnt use a shim as I read somewhere its not needed. I know Joey from Tick says always measure, its in the stickies but theres plenty of evidence below that a shim is not needed. The LS7 is an adjustable clutch & the pedal height will gradually come up after you put some miles on it. I just installed my Monster level 3 yesterday & in the included instructions it says DO NOT SHIM its not needed. It doesnt even require you to measure for it. Has an aftermarket QT bellhousing & works great, no measuring. I would try the mityvac on it to make sure theres no more air in the system. If you bought a used clutch it will need to be reset.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...utch-shim.html

It appears that shims are needed for some aftermarket clutches.
The geometry and dimensions are sometimes different.

There really is no reason for a stock clutch to need a shim because the stack height should usually be more consistant. With that said the slave was designed around the stock Luk clutches. So was the master for that matter.

Even with the correct stack height... anything other than the stock LS1 or LS6 clutch usually has disengagement and peddle issues. This isn't because of dimensions, it's because the stock master cylinder is to weak to disengage most clutches with higher pressure.

The Tick m/c is a breath of fresh air. Thier billet bracket fitted to a Tilton cylinder is just what we needed.

After being plagued with clutch issues for years it seems Tick was aware of the inherent hydraulic weakness and came up with a solution.
Your stock MC is very capable of disengaging the LS7 clutch. I drove mine for 6 months with no problems on the street with the stock MC.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ic-spacer.html
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I too have my concerns about this. I am having my tranny rebuilt at the moment but I noticed the clutch pedal is about 1/4" lower than the brake pedal. I measured a M6 car quite extensively to make sure I got the holes in the right spot but I still have my worries. I had a 6 speed car before and I know where the clutch pedal is supposed to be at but it just seems a bit low. I don't even have any pressure on it yet since the tranny is still missing but I'm talking about when the shaft on the MC is all the way extended. If I disconnect the MC shaft, I can get the pedal about even with the brake pedal. Should I re drill the holes till I get it even with the brake pedal or just leave it alone and see what happens? Also, if you have your flywheel turned, shouldn't you have to shim the slave regardless of what clutch you use?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boosterado
I too have my concerns about this. I am having my tranny rebuilt at the moment but I noticed the clutch pedal is about 1/4" lower than the brake pedal. I measured a M6 car quite extensively to make sure I got the holes in the right spot but I still have my worries. I had a 6 speed car before and I know where the clutch pedal is supposed to be at but it just seems a bit low. I don't even have any pressure on it yet since the tranny is still missing but I'm talking about when the shaft on the MC is all the way extended. If I disconnect the MC shaft, I can get the pedal about even with the brake pedal. Should I re drill the holes till I get it even with the brake pedal or just leave it alone and see what happens? Also, if you have your flywheel turned, shouldn't you have to shim the slave regardless of what clutch you use?
In my experience, turning the flywheel didnt make enough difference in the measurements I took to check for shimming. They don't take enough material off to make that big of a difference. The only time I could see it being an issue is if you have had your flywheel turned several times, if that's even possible.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned Troll Account Created By WhiteKnight '01

this sucks bro...maybe you should put your auto back in there?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
In my experience, turning the flywheel didnt make enough difference in the measurements I took to check for shimming. They don't take enough material off to make that big of a difference. The only time I could see it being an issue is if you have had your flywheel turned several times, if that's even possible.
Well that was the concern with my first flywheel since it was turned twice and the last time it had about a 1/8" step ground into it by the clutch (idiot PO pulling boats out of the water with his F body) I have another now one that's never been turned that just has some hot spots so it won't take much to clean it up. I'm still kinda worried about pedal height but I guess I'll just invest in a Tick like everyone else
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lionhearted
this sucks bro...maybe you should put your auto back in there?
I don't think so buddy.

Thanks everyone else for your help. I'm gonna bleed it tomorrow with my mityvac and post up if it made any difference.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

were did u get the mityvac and did u get the problem fix
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by victor111262
were did u get the mityvac and did u get the problem fix
I got the mityvac from Grainger, thru my work. It didn't pull any air out. I think my master is F*&ked!! I think the master isn't travelling the full distance and giving me a huge PITA! The clutch pedal is 2" lower than the brake and it's a brand new unit from GM. My tick master is gonna be here this week hopefully. This should solve my issues I hope.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is your LS7 clutch new? If not, you may experience some engagement problems with a used clutch setup and the Tick MC if the LS7 was broken in on a stock MC. I am going through this right now and ended up ordering a Monster Lvl 2. The fingers on the self adjusting pressure plate in the LS7 adjust to the fluid flow and when you put in another master that changes the fluid flow like the Tick, you have engagement issues. If you stay with the same type of master (stock to stock or Tick to Tick), you will be fine.

My problems haven't been horrible. More annoying than anything; it is hard to shift at high rpm and it doesn't go into gear as easily as it should sometimes. I've bled the system twice so I don't think it's that.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

I used a stock LS1 master and but it was brand new and the slave happened to be brand new too with no fluid in either but after about 1000 pumps and bleeding it like 15 times, all is good. That's just my experience. I actually think it went a little TOO smooth
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I having the same issue as you and would like to know if the Tick MC helped, if so I will order one. My clutch releases right off the floor and it doesnt seem like it travels the full lenght of the rod. This is a M6 transplant as well.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Beedo:

Yes the tick master cylinder fixed the problem!! What a great product, Tick! I had to set the pedal so that it's almost flush with the brake pedal and it works great. Not sure why the stock MC doesn't come all the way up on swapped cars?? Don't know if anyone else had this problem. The only thing that sucks is you gotta buy the stock MC for the resivoir and hose.

Tip: bench bleed the **** outta the master before installing in the car. Makes it way easier to bleed the remaining air out of the slave. It took me like an hour with a mityvac out of the car.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

My stock everything is working fine. It took 15 times bleeding it traditionally but it's right where it should be with no problems at all. It's stupidly faster than it was as an auto, otherwise no difference whatsoever

Quick Reply: just finished M6 swap-won't go in gear