Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Freakin transmission will NOT seat main shaft into pilot bearing... $0.02 needed

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Unhappy Freakin transmission will NOT seat main shaft into pilot bearing... $0.02 needed

After 12hrs of lifting, wiggling, aligning, retrying.... I'm ready to throw my T56 into a ditch.

Here's my issue (as if the title didn't give it away).

1. Removed trans for a horrible squeal from the car. Found throwout bearing had tons of slop (about 1/8 in all directions on the steel portion of the bearing.)
2. Installed new bearing. It's an aftermarket from Advanced Auto, but the height and travel are the same as the stock one.
3. Clutch is an LS7 with 4K miles on it. Aligned it with the alignment tool I got when the clutch was new. Tool slides in and out effortlessly.
4. Tried reinstalling the $%%^& trans (about 40 times). It will slide within a 1/4 inch of the bellhousing .... and then nothing. I wiggled and pried that damn thing from every angle possible. Even used brite strength and held it without a jack to get more range of movement. In short, the main shaft will NOT go into the pilot bearing. I put a bit of red axle grease on the pilot and could see it was on the very tip of the input shaft.... evenly coated throughout as if the #$%^ shaft was aligned, just not going in.

Used the search, no real help. This is the 5th trans I've installed in the past 6 months. Never had a problem till today. Crap..usually get them in within 10 minutes.

Help or advice appreciated... as I'll have to hang my head in shame and tow it to a shop otherwise
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the bearing slide smoothly onto the pilot portion of the input?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Does your input shaft have any grooves in it? When I pulled my transmission to change my clutch, the pilot bearing was broken and chewed up the input shaft. The transmission wouldn't go back in without using bolts to draw it in. There would be about a 1/4" in between the bell housing and transmission. I suppose it was getting stuck on the groove that was there. I ended up having to send the input shaft in to be re-tipped.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I had this problem myself. Whatever you do DON'T pull the tranny in using the bolts. You will ruin your disk just like I did. If it doesn't go in fairly easy, there is a problem. The last 1/4'' is about how much the input shaft slides into the pilot bushing/bearing. My problem stemmed from the crappy plastic alignment tool. The plastic tool has a LOT of play. If the disk is off center, it won't allow the tranny to seat properly into the pilot bushing. My solution was an accurately machined steel clutch alignment tool from Quarter Masters. Around $60... By far one of the best tools I have ever purchased. After I aligned the disk with the steel tool, the tranny slid right in, glorious moment for sure...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Also, you might want to get a lot of that grease out, that you put in there. I'm sure you would hate to do all that work only to contaminate your clutch with grease slung everywhere...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dave-1970
I had this problem myself. Whatever you do DON'T pull the tranny in using the bolts. You will ruin your disk just like I did. If it doesn't go in fairly easy, there is a problem. The last 1/4'' is about how much the input shaft slides into the pilot bushing/bearing. My problem stemmed from the crappy plastic alignment tool. The plastic tool has a LOT of play. If the disk is off center, it won't allow the tranny to seat properly into the pilot bushing. My solution was an accurately machined steel clutch alignment tool from Quarter Masters. Around $60... By far one of the best tools I have ever purchased. After I aligned the disk with the steel tool, the tranny slid right in, glorious moment for sure...
JUst wondering how many trannies you have done and you messed up a pressure plate? And every alignment tool i have EVER used has had a nice snug fit.

OP your fine to use longer bolt to get trans up the last quarter inch. I have done it atleast 100 times i like to get bellhousing bolts that are atleast an inch longer so when the trans is close i can put two bolts in so i know it will slide right in If its a quarter inch from the block your way past the pressure plate is should be splined in it if not your already screwed and were too rough with it. but 9 times out of 10 your just a lil off or not quite at the right angle to get it to slide in. If your really worried about the pressure plate just get an old yoke and slide it in the output shaft and start the trans and have the tranny in gear and spin it while your pushing the trans in and you will feel it spline up.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
JUst wondering how many trannies you have done and you messed up a pressure plate? And every alignment tool i have EVER used has had a nice snug fit.

OP your fine to use longer bolt to get trans up the last quarter inch. I have done it atleast 100 times i like to get bellhousing bolts that are atleast an inch longer so when the trans is close i can put two bolts in so i know it will slide right in If its a quarter inch from the block your way past the pressure plate is should be splined in it if not your already screwed and were too rough with it. but 9 times out of 10 your just a lil off or not quite at the right angle to get it to slide in. If your really worried about the pressure plate just get an old yoke and slide it in the output shaft and start the trans and have the tranny in gear and spin it while your pushing the trans in and you will feel it spline up.
I have done the same thing many times & never messed anything up either. Just installed a clutch in mine last week & had to draw the trans up with the bolts as it wouldnt go all the way in.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dave-1970
This. The disc being not centered with the pilot is a possible culprit. You can force it in but "may" warp the disc resulting in disengagement issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.

Got to take the easy way out. My current trans has a bad bearing that's causing a loud squeak (unless it's in reverse). Va Speed is going to install the new trans I just ordered. Labor cost is minimal, so it will now be their headache.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freakin transmission will NOT seat main shaft into pilot bearing... $0.02 needed