Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW F-Body Short Shifter Owners - What shift boot are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well JD_AMG, I tried what you did and that unfortunately didn't work very well in my car. Because I don't have that thick silver section underneath the shift **** like you do, it doesn't look flush like it does in your pictures. The "hump" that formed on mine from folding it inward at the top was disproportionately large compared to the stick and just looked ridiculous. Lol. Looks great on yours, though!

What I may do is to take the shifter off the boot and then fold it under from the bottom - then just cut new holes in the shifter to adjust the height. This way, the slack will be underneath the shifter and be invisible. I'll likely have to glue the leather to itself somehow, but shouldn't be too terribly difficult. I'll post pictures once I get around to it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take your boot to upholstery shop... Have them shorten it... Done deal.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
Well JD_AMG, I tried what you did and that unfortunately didn't work very well in my car. Because I don't have that thick silver section underneath the shift **** like you do, it doesn't look flush like it does in your pictures. The "hump" that formed on mine from folding it inward at the top was disproportionately large compared to the stick and just looked ridiculous. Lol. Looks great on yours, though!

What I may do is to take the shifter off the boot and then fold it under from the bottom - then just cut new holes in the shifter to adjust the height. This way, the slack will be underneath the shifter and be invisible. I'll likely have to glue the leather to itself somehow, but shouldn't be too terribly difficult. I'll post pictures once I get around to it.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
That should be quite easy, you might try it first. I don't know how much your folding under or what **** your using (sorry if I missed that) but you might just be able to fold it under and snap the boot in and leave it.

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
Take your boot to upholstery shop... Have them shorten it... Done deal.
If all he's doing is shorting it there really is not a reason to go through all that trouble. Even if he cuts off the excess it will be under the boot and not visible.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
That should be quite easy, you might try it first. I don't know how much your folding under or what **** your using (sorry if I missed that) but you might just be able to fold it under and snap the boot in and leave it.

If all he's doing is shorting it there really is not a reason to go through all that trouble. Even if he cuts off the excess it will be under the boot and not visible.
My6speedZ, in the first page of this thread, my boot/**** are picture in the bigger pictures - the big silver **** and black/silver boot. You're right though - I don't see why it couldn't be done. The little prongs that keep the shift boot retainer in place have to fit through little holes in the boot itself, so I would have to cut new ones higher up the boot in order for it to go back on. But honestly, should be a pretty easy task.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have old one? maybe try it on that one first.

Quick Reply: MGW F-Body Short Shifter Owners - What shift boot are you using?