Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch finally bled but small issue shifting in 2nd.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Clutch finally bled but small issue shifting in 2nd.

Ok guys I finally got my t56 all bled and ready to go I had to use a mighty vac though as I could not get any pedal doing it the conventional way. So anyway I took the car out for a couple drives going easy to break in the new clutch. I noticed that if I'm at a light and I quickly have to shift into gear the shifter hits a small wall and will not go into the gear for a sec then it just falls in.

The other issue I noticed is that if I start off in 1st and bring the rpms over 2k and then try to go into 2nd real quick by just pushing in the clutch and shifting it will scratch slightly in 2nd. At first i though synchros but I noticed if I simply slow the shift and allow the clutch to be pushed in longer the car just slips into gear with no issue. I even went out and brought the rpms up to around 5k and then shifted into 2nd a little slower and it went in fine. Also if Im rolling down the road at say 25mph I can put it in 2nd with no clutch and it will go in with no grinding or protest. So could it be the clutch just needs to be bled more and is not fully disengaging right away?

Last edited by redbird555; 06-05-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine took hours to get right. Id just make sure the carpet is pulled outta the way so the pedal can depressed all the way. I cut a hole in the floor board to access the bleeder. And stay at it. good luck
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the internal combo release bearing setup just gravity bleed it. Which setup do you have external slave or internal throwout hybrid unit. You did not specify. I will assume you have an internal hybrid unit and that should be gravity bleed. I do it in 5 minutes TOPS if all components are working properly.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

gravity bleeding on these cars seems to be almost impossible with the room on these cars lol how do you do yours? and yes it is a normal internal slave and TOB setup stock for these cars thanks again. I'll probably be picking up a mighty vac tomorrow too
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stunna p
mine took hours to get right. Id just make sure the carpet is pulled outta the way so the pedal can depressed all the way. I cut a hole in the floor board to access the bleeder. And stay at it. good luck
i did the same thing lol and its still being a bitch haha
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

bump for some help with the new issues
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I have similar issues. Unfortunately, I think mine are likely synchro/blocker related at this point. I wish it was just a simple bleeding fix.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

what symptoms do you have with yours? ive had the guys from lashway drive it as well as another friend who owns a hot rod shop and both said hydraulics seeing as the tranny is smooth and revmatches easily so theyll be re bleeding it next week
Old 06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
what symptoms do you have with yours? ive had the guys from lashway drive it as well as another friend who owns a hot rod shop and both said hydraulics seeing as the tranny is smooth and revmatches easily so theyll be re bleeding it next week
I have a bump on my upshift from 1st to 2nd, but not in any other gear or during down shifts. It comes through the shifter worse at times and goes almost compleately away at times, usually when the trans is hot.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

What do u mean bump? Like it grinds or wants to jump of out of gear?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

A slight grind/tug/kick back on the shifter as it goes into gear.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya that sounds like that could be internal. Does it do it if you shift slower? Mine only does it of I try to shift real fast and I also have about 1" of play in my clutch pedal still so I think theres still some air in the system causing the clutch to not fully disengage
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Hard to say. I’ve had it happen and not happen with slow and fast shifts, cold and warm transmission. I’ve bled my system 3 times now and the car feels fine in all the other gears so I think it is something more than hydraulics for me. My clutch engagement point does move around a little though, I notice it mostly in stop and go traffic (1st gear). Sometimes it will start to engage closer to the floor and other times it seems to start to engage much higher. It never seems to drag through (i.e. try to move forward with the clutch depressed) I guess I could always flush it for a 4th time, lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I finally arrived at the conclusion i got a bad M/C because it started losing pressure when sitting. So i figured screw it I may as well just get a tick. I got the tick installed today and the car shifts much smoother and I adjusted it so that the clutch engages halfway up the pedal.

However this still hasnt solved my issue with 2nd gear. Again it only happens if I try to shift quick from 1st to 2nd I can shift into all other gears smoothly as fast as I want so I'm thinking synchros? Just looking for confirmation.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

If you have an issue that affects a single gear it is not likely clutch related and in most instances isn't a hydraulic problem either. It's most likely an internal transmission issue. Remember, the clutch performs the same job no matter what gear you are selecting (so too does the hydraulic system). That being said, its time for a trans tear down!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

yup tore thee trans down today and found that the synchro blocker rings were worn out in 2nd gear as well as the ring. however the rest of the tranny looked great. so it got new blocker rings in all gears new fork pads, and a new synchro ring for 2nd the hubs and bearings looked new so they were left only thing to do now is put her back together and see how it goes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

That is a relatively easy fix (comparatively). Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Well guys to make a long story short the shop that did the rebuild and replaced syncros screwed it up and it had to be torn down again and we found burrs on 2nd gear and the 1-2 synchro hub. Now those are getting replaced but I was just wondering the clutch is a new stock ls6 unit and I could shift into 3rd gear and 3-4th gear as fast as I wanted and never had any issue. So does that mean my clutch is fine?

I had the shop owner tell me that the first shift from 1-2 gear the clutch works harder to disengage and therefore it may not disengage as easily as when i go 2-3 or 3-4, thus causing the grind only from 1-2. Is there any truth to thats?

Quick Reply: Clutch finally bled but small issue shifting in 2nd.