Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Let me try LS1tech for my last plea of help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let me try LS1tech for my last plea of help

I am new here but am a member on other fbod forums. I figured this site has a lot of good, informative people.

I have a 96 TA with a Mcleod Street Twin/adjustable MC/Steel flywheel, yadda yadda yadda. The clutch is only about 4k miles old--installed with my rebuilt t56.

The 1st 3k miles on the clutch and rebuilt t56, no problems or noises. I drove to socal (400miles) which is where I moved to live. I returned back to norcal to visit and experienced a horrible oil pan leak. On my return to socal, I experienced a horrible grinding noise when depressing the clutch. It would be difficult at times to put in gear but I made it back.

I took the car to a shop where they found that the mcleod disc's hub was machined wrong and messing up the input shaft. Ok, it was replaced, the discs were in good shape. I got the car back but still noticed slight grinding which after time got back to it's normal horrific state.

The guys at Mcleod looked at it and were stumped. Told me to adjust the MC. I did. Unless the clutch pedal was adjusted 3" from the floor or less did the noise go away. If I started the car in gear though, I got the same grind. Plus, after a few weeks, the car started jerking under little to no load in first or reverse.

Someone told me to check for the fork grinding on the pressure plate. I did. No marks or wear on the PP or fork and the fork seemed bolted in good.

I replaced the oil pan gasket, hoping that it has been the oil causing this---but I highly doubt it. I'm exhausted on ideas, no mechs, message boards, nor mcleod itself has provided me with actual experience on this.

Why me!?!?!?! I will respond with results when the car is together but in the meantime, please give me feedback.

Thank you,
Daniel
Old 04-01-2004, 10:39 AM
8 second mod

wish i could help. honistly the only advise i can give is to always start with the easy stuff first.
good luck and sory i cant help.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds like your clutch is not disengaging fully. Did you have the flywheel surfaced or anything like that? What was the condition of your T/O bearing?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Noyzee--thanks for replying, I've tried to go about things that way.

Nine Ball--Thanks as well. When I took it to the reputable shop, they didn't mention anything wrong with the TO bearing. Would the case of it not fully disengaging be true still in this situation where the noise happens during pedal travel and as I shift into gear?

I've now heard of some isolated incidents involving this clutch and I'm hoping to come across someone who can help. The clutch came with the new steel flywheel.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hhhhmmmmm had to think for a bit on this one....
you sure it was oil you were seeing???
sound to me like you got a pinhole leak in your hydrolic system and it is releasing presure when you depress your pedel.... and the reason upping your master pressure isn't helping is because the more presure on the pin hole the faster it leaks....
look for a leaking slave or the line itself....

lemme know what you find
Old 04-02-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

jaberwaki- I don't understand the makeup of the clutch to well, even though I know what parts are which, so it was kind of difficult for me to understand your reply. But I will say this, since putting the tranny back up and bolting everything back together, there has been a consistent slow drop of oil coming from the slave cylinder housing at that bottom of the 2 bolts.

But how does that relate to a horrible grind? Please let me know. I hopefully will start the car back up tomorrow and will check on the leak again.

Thank you
Old 04-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Leaky master cylinder = little to no pressure to dissengage the pressure plate properly.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Teching In

i had the same noise on a friends car.. someone other than us put the Mcleod in and i guess they didn't use loctite or didn't tighten the flywheel bolts.. made an awful grinding sound, and shook like a bastard.. The flywheel bolts backed out, lucky we found it before it went to the track......
Old 04-02-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evaporate
jaberwaki- I don't understand the makeup of the clutch to well, even though I know what parts are which, so it was kind of difficult for me to understand your reply. But I will say this, since putting the tranny back up and bolting everything back together, there has been a consistent slow drop of oil coming from the slave cylinder housing at that bottom of the 2 bolts.

But how does that relate to a horrible grind? Please let me know. I hopefully will start the car back up tomorrow and will check on the leak again.

Thank you
if I was you Id fix the leak and go from there.I was so frustrated when I first installed mine.leaks all over the place.good luck.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...63#post1222963

hers my write up... i hope this helps ya out
Old 04-02-2004, 08:57 PM
wrencher

Lets get this clear;
Does it make the noise when the clutch is depressed, or while clutch is depressed & trying to put the trans in gear?
Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wrencher, it makes noise without trying to put it in gear but with the pedal depressed. But like I said before, when I adjusted the pedal to roughly 3" or less it wouldn't grind unless the car was started in gear.

35th, I will have someone check out the leak from the slave housing because I don't think I'd know how to go about fixing that one.

You all have been of great help and nice writeup jaberwaki, I will have to read it a few times for me to make sense of the clutch though. Work has kept me from putting the console back 2gether but definitely tomorrow I'll fire her up and keep every1 updated.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:25 PM
wrencher

Well I hate to tell you but your problem is prolly inside the transmission itself.
Have seen it B-4 although rare the mainshaft bearings are usually the cause.
I know you just replaced the trans but your gonna need to inspect it to ensure it's not the cause.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got the car started back up. Same issues with the car shaking at low rpm with little to no throttle.

One thing to note: at idle in neutral, I can see and feel the tranny and shifter shaking. Maybe this is coincides with what black94z said above about the flywheel not being bolted on good enough?

Keep in mind, at the moment, the car is rarely grinding due to the fact that I've kept my clutch pedal adjusted to the 3" height from the floor, the spot where it won't usually grind.

Quick Reply: Let me try LS1tech for my last plea of help