Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Tick master, still can't shift at high rpms, is it my trans or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang ...that is is a big difference. The t56 is alot notchy

I noticed that when i switched from the stock hurst shifter to a short throw...it got a lot notchy'r feeling.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
dang ...that is is a big difference. The t56 is alot notchy

I noticed that when i switched from the stock hurst shifter to a short throw...it got a lot notchy'r feeling.
I had a B&M short shifter and the stock failing clutch mc. That was so hit and miss it wasn't even funny. Constantly popping out of gear and grinding all over the place.

I almost thought of putting my bargain bin stock shifter back in to see what it was like. Even if it was loose as hell at least it wouldn't be so damn notchy.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was plague with the infamous high rpm sticky pedel for over 3 years. The setup at the time was a stock master (drill mod), ls7 clutch that had like 30k miles on it already, and a fairly new slave. I first changed out the slave to see it will aleviate the problem. it did not, so like a year ago i replaced the master with a tick master. That did NOT aleviate the problem. I went ahead and ordered a tdp stage 2 clutch and installed it 2 weeks ago and the problem went away and the car feels like a different animal.

Last edited by CaliboyTA; 09-02-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Teching In

sounds like my piece. without a clutch petal
drop
Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Teching In

does it Grind or lock out
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
i was plague with the infamous high rpm sticky pedel for over 3 years. The setup at the time was a stock master (drill mod), ls7 clutch that had like 30k miles on it already, and a fairly new slave. I first changed out the slave to see it will aleviate the problem. it did not, so like a year ago i replaced the master with a tick master. That did NOT aleviate the problem. I went ahead and ordered a tdp stage 2 clutch and installed it 2 weeks ago and the problem went away and the car feels like a different animal.
I put in a new oem mc first and wasn't happy with it. But it did fix my pedal problem. Like I said earlier the fluid in mine was black as night and like water. I used to drive around lifting my pedal twice off the floor before I could select a gear lol .
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mistakleen
I put in a new oem mc first and wasn't happy with it. But it did fix my pedal problem. Like I said earlier the fluid in mine was black as night and like water. I used to drive around lifting my pedal twice off the floor before I could select a gear lol .
Well in my case my car runs perfectly fine driving normal, shifts fine, no pedel drop. only time it will drop and sticks is when i go full throttle. Thats when the pedels sticks and i have to lift it manually and pump it several times to gain pressure back. that was with the stock oem master. it did this even with the new slave and expensive motul dot 4 brake fluid and properly bleed system (speed bleeder/mityvac). now with the tick, i still had the problem of the pedel dropping at high hpms but it wouldn't stick to the floor cuz of the amount of pressure it had. I had aleviated and replaceds all the hydraulics and fluid prior to the clutch and i had the same problem, so in my case the only solution was the replace the clutch, and that fix the problem
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
Well in my case my car runs perfectly fine driving normal, shifts fine, no pedel drop. only time it will drop and sticks is when i go full throttle. Thats when the pedels sticks and i have to lift it manually and pump it several times to gain pressure back. that was with the stock oem master. it did this even with the new slave and expensive motul dot 4 brake fluid and properly bleed system (speed bleeder/mityvac). now with the tick, i still had the problem of the pedel dropping at high hpms but it wouldn't stick to the floor cuz of the amount of pressure it had. I had aleviated and replaceds all the hydraulics and fluid prior to the clutch and i had the same problem, so in my case the only solution was the replace the clutch, and that fix the problem
What exactly was wrong with the clutch?.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mistakleen
What exactly was wrong with the clutch?.
Pressure plate.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

I also have an issue with my LS7 clutch , I have had my Tick mc for about 2 years now, last year a had my old LS6 clutch didn't really have any issues shifting on high RPMs but since I installed the LS7 I can't get it into any gear if I'm over 5200 rpms , it grinds like hell but it won't go in , so I'm not sure if is my clutch or I may need to adjust the master to push more fluid
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm I want in on this conversation... my m6 car has never had a soft pedal , stuck to the floor pedal or stuck in gear and shifts wonderful driving like a normal person but past 5k you better be real patient -it seems like 5 seconds but its likely 1 lol to make the 1/2 or 2/3 shift ( I never ring it out into 4th around here- I like my license lol) if your not patient it will grind , I have been thinking synchros are bad ( work fine under low/normal load) or adding adjustable master based on every thread calling that the cure all or step #1 now you guys have me suspicious of the clutch

car has about 15K on current ls7 clutch and all new hydraulics with kirban shifter , never slips shudders or any other typical bad clutch type issues , full bolt on car , previous owner was able to shift it well enough to go 11.9's with the car ( which I witnessed )and I have owned enough old muscle cars with t10's and muncies that I could shift the heck out of so I dont feel its a driver issue. I have just been hesitant to spend $$ because I havent seen anything cut and dry that leads me to one particular component and the car still rips you just need the patience of a saint lol
Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Not to resurrect an old thread but man everyone is having issues. After reading about how docile and reliable the LS7 clutch was I had to have it. I even bought a shim for it (.150). I got a new slave cylinder and master, did the drill mod, and ran like absolute **** (2.2 sec. 60', 13.7 sec. 1/4 @ 88mph). To state I'm aggravated would be an understatement. While the clutch pedal no longer sticks, the car revs with no forward motion in 4th gear, making it useless. I watched the rpms go up, but not the speedometer. Now I'm completely lost, cause I don't have $2k to spend on a new clutch assembly, and the LS7 clutch is new, and I don't know if any of it is salvageable. Just absolutely confused.

Quick Reply: Installed Tick master, still can't shift at high rpms, is it my trans or clutch?