Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed a Monster Stage 2 and Tick master today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed a Monster Stage 2 and Tick master today.

Well, not just today, but over the course of the last month. Such a pain in the ***. Not terribly complicated, just a lot of dumb **** going wrong. With it being a garage queen, I didn't rush it.

I didn't have any trouble bleeding it with the remote bleeder. It gravity bled itself. It was slow, but it worked just fine. Adjusting the master cylinder was very straight forward.

The clutch pedal has a very short travel and is noticeably stiffer. It drives and shifts smooth, so I assume the short, stiff pedal is acceptable. I look forward to romping on it after the required 500 mile break in.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it chatter at all? I'm currently looking into the level 2 for my car.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah give some feedback on it, because I'm looking into the same thing
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put a monster stage 3 in my trans am, along with a tickmaster, and i love it...

it did chatter for a lil bit during break in, but after its done breaking in, and you can really get on it, they say to do a couple hard launches...mine dont chatter anymore.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya my buddy has a stage 3 in his SS and it really doesnt like to be slipped. it has 10k on it and unless you launch it right it will chatter. I just want the good feel and grab but I want it smooth thats why im looking at the 2
Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm very happy you are pleased with your install.

I think a lot of people look for an aftermarket clutch that engages further out like the stock clutch does and a stock pedal feel.

While this is a comfortable set-up for doing anything in town, I just don't prefer it. I would prefer and like a pedal that has a shorter travel(not extreme) and that releases closer to the floor than the stock pedal(again not extreme). This sounds a lot like what you have achieved.

Every clutch will be different though in release and pedal feel. I try to recommend to people to find a buddy or someone local with an aftermarket clutch of different brands to feel out for yourself.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Launching!

I can't give an honest assessment of the clutch at this point because I have to baby it for 500 miles. I drove it to church today and I like it for normal driving. The clutch pedal is definitely stiffer, but not terrible. The short throw of the clutch pedal feels more positive, no slop. It is still easy to shift smoothly. I was concerned with the short travel of the clutch pedal I would have problems with grabbing, stalling, bucking, or jerking. I look forward to some aggressive driving. I have had no chattering.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll chime in here on my experience with the Monster Stage 2 (I also have a Tick). So far, it's been a great clutch. Have probably about 2,000 miles on it, and it hardly chatters at all anymore. I think when it does chatter it is more my fault for not giving it more gas. It gets grabby when it gets below about 1-1,500 rpm and starts to chatter a little--not much.

It chattered a good bit in the beginning, but over time it has died down. I was very strict about making sure I drove the 500 city miles before getting on it. I even waited past 500 miles because I took a long highway trip somewhere in there that I did not count the miles for.

My pedal is stiffer and the height is lower, but I like it. You have to get used to it, but you will appreciate the positive engagement feeling it has after you drive it a while.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a stage 2 in my 3rd gen swap and I really, really like this clutch. Its easy to drive without being annoying, and when I finally went to the strip last week it never even flinched after 5 passes and 5500rpm launches. Wicked, reliable engagement and 1.66 sixty foot times with a bog since I don't have enough power. Its fun having more driveline than engine...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Today I drove the car to work. It drove very nice both ways except for a minor issue. I am having trouble shifting into first. I am not sure if it is air in the system or the master cyl needs adjustment. All other shifts are smooth. I found from a stop, if I shift into second then first it was smooth.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
Today I drove the car to work. It drove very nice both ways except for a minor issue. I am having trouble shifting into first. I am not sure if it is air in the system or the master cyl needs adjustment. All other shifts are smooth. I found from a stop, if I shift into second then first it was smooth.
Adjust your pedal out slightly in 1/4-1/2 turn increments with the turnbuckle until you find the problem alleviates itself. Also when adjusting the turnbuckle/jam nuts make sure that each adjustment(there are two separate adjustments one on the pedal/rod/heim joint end, and another on the master cylinder rod itself(bronze colored rod)is equal to one another.

Happy clutching!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Default oh no

put a monster stage 2 in mine.broke it in....over 800 miles.Gets threw all the gears at high rpm easily.which was the problem i was trying to correct.unfortunately it keeps slipping.i'll have the car floored and the rpm needle will stay in the same"orange spot as my speed gradually increases.by the time i get into fourth and it grabs i've lost about 700 rpm and i should be at 110mph when i'm at 100.oh and i'm only pushin' 415hp at the motor!!!?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badamn
put a monster stage 2 in mine.broke it in....over 800 miles.Gets threw all the gears at high rpm easily.which was the problem i was trying to correct.unfortunately it keeps slipping.i'll have the car floored and the rpm needle will stay in the same"orange spot as my speed gradually increases.by the time i get into fourth and it grabs i've lost about 700 rpm and i should be at 110mph when i'm at 100.oh and i'm only pushin' 415hp at the motor!!!?
There is something obviously wrong and more than likely it's a fluid contamination issue as we've got a few level 2's holding in excess of 500rwhp.

Give us a call or shoot me an email and we'll go from there.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

It was good talking with you, let me know if you see any fluid leaks or the other things we discussed.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Default Monster stage 2 review

two things....first i broke that plastic cover on the bell housing when i did my install and never replaced it(on the driver side almost opposaite the starter)second i found a power steering leak pretty much directly in line with that cover(which may explain the high rpm slipping)so i replaced the cover and bled the clutch,went and made four 1/4 mile runs.The slippage was barely noticeable,worse on the last run but hopefully this will just go away over time now.I bought this clutch because i kept getting locked out of gear on runs and did'nt know why.I can tell you now that your stock clutch is the reason.I've done about 15 gear mashing 1/4 miles and havent missed one shift.Oh and no spongyness after any of the runs.I have a loud mouth exhaust so if there is chatter i'm not hearing it.So yeah...pretty happy after 800 miles.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

I'd empty a whole can of brake cleaner inside the bellhousing, with the engine idling and someone holding the pedal down. that should clean that **** off.
Id used 2 cans personally..
the Stunna
Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Oh, btw.. my stg. 2 chattered for 1,000 miles... I am very happy with is though!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i thought about it but i'm hopin' i can burn it off.power steering fluids tacky anyway.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you can get through all the gears now Jim. That stupid freaking GM self adjusting pressure plate. We have been waiting how many years to figure out it's the pressure plate that was locking us out of gears at high rpms?

I've been on my soap box lately about everyone jumping on the "you need a new slave, you need a new master" band wagon and it needing to stop. I've been on this site for four years now and I can't recall one time replacing the slave or replacing the master cylinder has cured the "locked out of gear at high rpm" syndrome.

On the other hand, I've seen countless threads started about being locked out of gear at high rpm where everybody tells them they need to replace the slave, and if that doesn't work they need to replace the master. Well, the person does both, just like me, just like Badamn, just like every other person and they still having shifting problems (with the stock clutch).

Badamn and I were both getting locked out of gear at high rpm. Replaced the slave...nothing happened. Replaced the Master...nothing happened. Did the drill mod...nothing happened. Now Badamn gets a stage 2 Monster clutch and is banging gears at red line flawlessly over and over with the stock hydrualics. I think it's about time Ls1tech evolves past the "replace the slave and replace the master" stage. It might fix someone's general shifting problem they might be having due to a failed unit, but is not fixing the high rpm shifting syndrome everyone has with the stock clutch. It's the stock self adjusting pressure plate!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
FormerVendor

two things....first i broke that plastic cover on the bell housing when i did my install and never replaced it(on the driver side almost opposaite the starter)second i found a power steering leak pretty much directly in line with that cover(which may explain the high rpm slipping)so i replaced the cover and bled the clutch,went and made four 1/4 mile runs.The slippage was barely noticeable,worse on the last run but hopefully this will just go away over time now.I bought this clutch because i kept getting locked out of gear on runs and did'nt know why.I can tell you now that your stock clutch is the reason.I've done about 15 gear mashing 1/4 miles and havent missed one shift.Oh and no spongyness after any of the runs.I have a loud mouth exhaust so if there is chatter i'm not hearing it.So yeah...pretty happy after 800 miles.
Good find!

Like I said on the phone, I suspected a fluid contamination. Let me know if you need anything else!

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Glad you can get through all the gears now Jim. That stupid freaking GM self adjusting pressure plate. We have been waiting how many years to figure out it's the pressure plate that was locking us out of gears at high rpms?

I've been on my soap box lately about everyone jumping on the "you need a new slave, you need a new master" band wagon and it needing to stop. I've been on this site for four years now and I can't recall one time replacing the slave or replacing the master cylinder has cured the "locked out of gear at high rpm" syndrome.

On the other hand, I've seen countless threads started about being locked out of gear at high rpm where everybody tells them they need to replace the slave, and if that doesn't work they need to replace the master. Well, the person does both, just like me, just like Badamn, just like every other person and they still having shifting problems (with the stock clutch).

Badamn and I were both getting locked out of gear at high rpm. Replaced the slave...nothing happened. Replaced the Master...nothing happened. Did the drill mod...nothing happened. Now Badamn gets a stage 2 Monster clutch and is banging gears at red line flawlessly over and over with the stock hydrualics. I think it's about time Ls1tech evolves past the "replace the slave and replace the master" stage. It might fix someone's general shifting problem they might be having due to a failed unit, but is not fixing the high rpm shifting syndrome everyone has with the stock clutch. It's the stock self adjusting pressure plate!!!
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Quick Reply: Installed a Monster Stage 2 and Tick master today.