Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I need some t56 expert advise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some t56 expert advise...

I just got my car on the road to find out it will not go into 3rd or 4th gear without grinding horribly. I bled the system atleast 4 times now using the Mityvac tool, with no more bubbles coming up. I can grab any other gear at any speed or RPM. 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th shift like butter. I have read that 3rd and 4th shift fork is a common problem with abused t56's, But Before I bled the system with the Mightyvac I had problems with it grinding in 2nd and 3rd gear, now its 3rd and 4th gear with the problem. I just want to know before I drop a grand on rebuilding. Any advise? THANKS

P.S. I bought my t56 off craigslist with about 90k on it...

Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not a fork to me it sounds like ur synchros in those gears are shot. A bent fork will usually cause you being locked out of gear or popping out. What your hearing is the worn synchro trying to stop the gear before engaging it and needless to say since it's worn it ant do that. Notice that if you go to 1st or 2nd and then go to 3rd it goes ok. That's because 1st or 2nd is stopping the internals so it eliminates the need for the 3rd synchro. You really need to stop grinding them though until its fixed because repeated grinding will mess up the engagement teeth on the gear and then you need a whole new gear and 4th is a one piece deal with te input shaft so it ets pricey pretty quick
Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Banned

If its doing it in both 3 and 4, its probably got busted 3-4 shift keys which will cause the exact issue you are having.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

i thought the same thing but if it was broken keys would it get stuck in gear? and in the video it looks like he went to 1st and then it went in ok which is why i thought syncs but i could be wrong
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redbird555
i thought the same thing but if it was broken keys would it get stuck in gear? and in the video it looks like he went to 1st and then it went in ok which is why i thought syncs but i could be wrong
No, they aren't bent, they are completely broken so theres nothing to get stuck.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I knew it was not good, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious. Thanks guys for all your help. I will update later when I have it rebuilt.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broken keys are just pads between the fork and the syncro assembly. When the stock plastic ones crap out the syncro simply doesn't travel enough to get it to engage properly. The plastic keys are not well suited to any abuse. Replacement billet bronze keys are about $25.00 per fork or $100 for the entire trans. A bent fork will usually mean one gear pops out and the other corresponding gear (4&3/2&1/6&5 in order from front to back) works okay but doesn't require as much travel as it used to(a minute amount). A broken fork will just not allow either gear to be selected.

After watching the video, that sounds 100% like the syncro rings are shot. I had mine go bad in 2nd about a month ago. Did the exact same thing. After rebuilding it with all billet keys, new syncros and reshimmed it's like butter.

These are what probably died in your trans. Hopefully you don't find what I did in mine. A long history of abuse and a VERY poor rebuild.

4th ring

3rd ring

Last edited by Exidous; 09-05-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Exidous
Broken keys are just pads between the fork and the syncro assembly. When the stock plastic ones crap out the syncro simply doesn't travel enough to get it to engage properly. The plastic keys are not well suited to any abuse. Replacement billet bronze keys are about $25.00 per fork or $100 for the entire trans. A bent fork will usually mean one gear pops out and the other corresponding gear (4&3/2&1/6&5 in order from front to back) works okay but doesn't require as much travel as it used to(a minute amount). A broken fork will just not allow either gear to be selected.

After watching the video, that sounds 100% like the syncro rings are shot. I had mine go bad in 2nd about a month ago. Did the exact same thing. After rebuilding it with all billet keys, new syncros and reshimmed it's like butter.

These are what probably died in your trans. Hopefully you did find what I did in mine. A long history of abuse and a VERY poor rebuild.

4th ring

3rd ring
you're talking about fork pads which are clip onto the end of the fork, which could be bad but most likely arent causing this. what were talking about are the steel keys that go inside the synchro hub to guide and keep the transmission in gear, these are also avaialble in billet steel and its a worth hile upgrade
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

you're talking about fork pads which are clip onto the end of the fork, which could be bad but most likely arent causing this. what were talking about are the steel keys that go inside the synchro hub to guide and keep the transmission in gear, these are also avaialble in billet steel and its a worth hile upgrade
These are what redbird is talking about: http://www.tickperformance.com/ticks...-keys-springs/
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you guys mean these?

To the original poster, give Jason At Texas Drivetrain Performance a call. He has his own line of billet keys that are not made out of powdered metal like the ones above.
Texas Drivetrain Performance
(817)300-6840

Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Banned

I believe G Force was the ones producing those powdered metal keys. I stopped using them after having a couple of failures with them shortly after being installed.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you might be talking about those but wasn't 100%. I upgraded those in 1-4 as well and it's certainly worth it.

Quick Reply: I need some t56 expert advise...