Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Smellsl like food cooking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smellsl like food cooking?

Well its been about a month and a half since i got my new clutch in and every now and then it smells like if something is cooking for a few seconds and then it fades away. Any thoughts? I didnt leave any ham or bologna when i put it all together. Does dextron smell like that when it heats up/burns?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans fluid has a weird odor when burned, it is also very flammable. I would check into that ASAP. When does the smell start to occur? Coming off the pedal or driving?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I changed my ATF about 10 days ago and I did spill some on the tranny I also think I added a little more than i should have. For about a week I would randomly get the same smell you described however looking all over the trans nothing was wet and I had no fluid on the ground and it still shifted smooth. I'm thinking it just was burning the excess on the case since I haven't smelled it since. But yours is a good deal older so I'd get user there and artless see what's going on...
@ Steve if the tranny did get low on ATF what would be the symptoms? Hard shifting grind etc?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
I changed my ATF about 10 days ago and I did spill some on the tranny I also think I added a little more than i should have. For about a week I would randomly get the same smell you described however looking all over the trans nothing was wet and I had no fluid on the ground and it still shifted smooth. I'm thinking it just was burning the excess on the case since I haven't smelled it since. But yours is a good deal older so I'd get user there and artless see what's going on...
@ Steve if the tranny did get low on ATF what would be the symptoms? Hard shifting grind etc?
Yes, and a few other things.

I would check for leaks, more than likely it's leaking and getting on the exhaust causing the smell. Check and let me know what you see.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks steve and i didnt mean to hijack the op's thread. but what other symptoms would ther be? i havent smelled anything for a few days I did a drain on the tranny and dumped all 4 qts of fluid in there so i guess it may have been a tad over filled? i've poked my head around all up in there and my tranny is bone dry, shift detent plate, shifter, drive shaft seal, etc lol plus I dont see any signs of anything being wet. I do have a small engine oil leak from the oil sender that i need to get fixed but idk if that would smell....

I know atf take a long time to burn off and I did spill a bit on the x pipe could I have been smelling that. I should also add that since my car was an a4 at one time the lowever rubber shift boot isnt sealed perfectly to the tunnel so air does get in there, culd I just be smelling the atf moving around in the shifter cup and tranny? There is no smell under the car fwiw and the only oil on the bellhousing i can see in brown from the opsu leaking it on there

Last edited by redbird555; 10-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I used to have a truck that had a cracked tail housing on the tranny that would leak fluid on the universal and then spray it on both the exhaust pipes. Smelled sweet kind of like glycol coolant, but didnt smell like ham, meat, or any other meal. Maybe you got some weird organic clutch disc made from compressed and heated thanksgiving leftovers?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

It only smells like this on initial 3 miles of driving every now and then its not common but i did get the core pretty messy and couldnt get into all the cracks. I havent had a problem with the clutch or anything
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL I've never heard of anyone saying burnt dexron III smelling like food cooking.

First time for everything I guess
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i know is horrible because everytime i start my car and drive i get hungry :/
Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Dave
Yeah i know is horrible because everytime i start my car and drive i get hungry :/
Did somebody say...........Mcdonalds?

Quick Reply: Smellsl like food cooking?