Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster stage 2 clutch chatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster stage 2 clutch chatter

Guys I recently replaced a factory ailing clutch with a monster stage 2 and it works great but it seems the more I drive it around town the more it seems to chatter more and more. I had heard on some clutches if you launch it hard a few times it will smooth it out some. Is that true with the monster stage 2? Looking for something I can do to reduce the chatter. Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by User Name Here
Guys I recently replaced a factory ailing clutch with a monster stage 2 and it works great but it seems the more I drive it around town the more it seems to chatter more and more. I had heard on some clutches if you launch it hard a few times it will smooth it out some. Is that true with the monster stage 2? Looking for something I can do to reduce the chatter. Thanks in advance
A level 2 is designed to never chatter, most of the time when these do it's caused by fluid contamination.

Try adjusting your driving habits by slipping the clutch less, after a couple of days the chatter should clear up. If the chatter continues give us a call.

Don't forget to check for leaks under the car!!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Launching!

i've got a level 2 and it chattered when i first put it in...however a lightened flywheel doesn't help the situation...

Do actually hear a chattering noise or is just difficult to get the moving without "shaking" the car so to speak?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Launching!

I believe break-in on the level 2 is 500 miles of city driving...so i would not perform hard launches if you haven't reached the break-in limit.

for me, i'm usually engaging the clutch at 2000rpm trying to be as smooth as possible...this reduced the chatter/shaking during break-in...
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the replies. I did follow the proper breakin of 500 easy miles and the clutch did chatter a little which I expected but seemed to get better - hardly ever even noticeable. And what I mean by chatter is the car shudders when "riding" the clutch - mostly like when maneuvering into or out of a parking place, when driving normally usually doesn't do it. I notice that this clutch tends to "grab" quicker than the stocker and attributed some of the chatter to this, but it seems worse. I will definitely check for leaks and hope that there isn't anything leaking onto the clutch. I did replace the slave and everything looked fine, I do know that there was no fluid contamination during the install - we were very careful not to. Thanks guys! I will try to keep you updated!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Launching!

actually you term is perfect...shudder...i still get that if i don't get the revs up. and i totally agree...it is way "grabier" than stock.

keep us posted.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Ok guys, I haven't had much time to check this out but I did look to see if I had any leaks, and as far as I can tell the clutch hydros aren't leaking but I only could lay on the ground and look at it because I didn't have a good way to get the car up or for me to get under it. I have noticed though that I have a small oil leak near the oil filter. It seems to be coming from something directly above the filter. I don't know if that is somehow getting to the clutch but I kind of doubt it. I'm going to have to do an oil change soon so maybe I can tell more about it then. Does anyone know what might be leaking above the oil filter? Is there some sort of adapter or something that bolts on the motor above the filter that may be a little loose? -brigade24- you're right it is more of a shudder if the revs aren't up a little higher, maybe thats just the nature of the beast, er uh monster!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

I had a very similar oil leak last year same area also...i thought it was the oil pan gasket or maybe the crank seal. turns out it was the oil filter, it was not on tight enough...i felt like an idiot but at least it was an easy fix.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

yes, it grabs better than stock. i dont slip it ,i just kinda let er rip tater chip and got used to it. i let my tires do the slipping.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well I checked my oil filter but it could possibility that the filter is leaking still. I've had that happen before. I've been driving with a little less clutch slip and no problems. Just not as easy to move around in tight quarters
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Monster Stage 2 clutch with a lightweight flywheel and have never had any issues, even during break in the clutch felt just like stock, just with a heavy pedal and a slightly shorter engagement "length."

My car is cammed so it does buck and kick a bit at real low RPMs, I think that is attributed to the motor, not the clutch though. The clutch handles 3500-4000 RPM launches with no issues. Never had any issues with shuttering or anything. Not that what I said is of any help but there clearly is a problem IMO, that clutch should not do that.

Quick Reply: Monster stage 2 clutch chatter