Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Low clutch engagement after WOT RUNS!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low clutch engagement after WOT RUNS!?!?!

Ok so I needed a new slave cylinder due to it leaking so I figured I would go ahead and replace the master while I was at it just to be safe. So after about 1.5 hours of pumping and bleeding I finally got a pedal and along with the "drill mod" I did the tranny shifts "MUCH" smoother and no longer feels notchy. Now for the bad part while driving around under normal conditions the pedal and engagement point is perfect but as soon as I start running it hard the pedal gets soft and engages really close to the floor then after that I go back to normal driving and the clutch goes back to normal. Assuming my parts aren't defective in any way does that I mean still have air in the system?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody????
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That means you have some water in the clutch fluid. It turns into steam when hot. You need to put new fluid in from a sealed container.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really I never thought of that since I just installed everything new but I guess it's worth a shot. Anyone else wanna chime in incase that doesn't do it?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Is the fluid clear or is it black? I always had problems with the stock master cylinder,I changed to the tick and havent had any problems since
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ it's clear and everything is brand new that's why I don't get why it's perfect when driving normal but one hard pass first through fourth and the clutch starts to release about an inch off the floor then after a few pumps it comes right back...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Even if the clutch fluid is clear, it can have a small amount of water in it. Doesn't really take much water, either. Once the seal has been broken on a new bottle of brake fluid, the shelf life is about two weeks.

Clutch/brake fluid is alcohol based, and alcohol is hydroscopic, meaning it acutualy attracts moisture out the air.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ I didn't realize even with a lid that it would attract water but that could have been it since it was a big bottle of fluid that was new but it had been opened(dont know how long).Could I just suck the fluid from the master then fill it and pump it drain it on and on? If not then I have to drive back to my dads shop (1.5 hours away) in order to bleed it at the slave.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

That might work, you could try it and see first before doing it the other way.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ If this works I'm adding you to my Christmas list...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Have you noticed the car creeping when you sit at a stop with your foot on the clutch pedal? If so you may actually be seeing an internal leak within one of the cylinders. Just another possibility to be aware of.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Have you noticed the car creeping when you sit at a stop with your foot on the clutch pedal? If so you may actually be seeing an internal leak within one of the cylinders. Just another possibility to be aware of.
No but to be honest I don't sit with my foot on the clutch while stopped. But I will make it a point to check when I go out tonight and I will report back thanks for the input guys...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to assume it's the stock adjustable pressure plate. Go ahead and try what was suggested with new fluid to rule out water in the fluid but I doubt it. My brother and I both put in new masters, did the drill mod, and put in new slaves and we still had the exact same problems you have. When we get on it hard the clutch pedal gets all soft and spongey and it gets hard to get into gear. We would have to pump the pedal to bring it back to life. Since then my brother bought a monster clutch with a heavy duty "non adjustable" pressure plate and hasn't had a problem since.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Well I went for a long ride tonight and everytime I stopped I sat with the clutch depressed while in gear and nothing the car just sat there so I guess i can check they off my list.

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I'm going to assume it's the stock adjustable pressure plate. Go ahead and try what was suggested with new fluid to rule out water in the fluid but I doubt it. My brother and I both put in new masters, did the drill mod, and put in new slaves and we still had the exact same problems you have. When we get on it hard the clutch pedal gets all soft and spongey and it gets hard to get into gear. We would have to pump the pedal to bring it back to life. Since then my brother bought a monster clutch with a heavy duty "non adjustable" pressure plate and hasn't had a problem since.
Not what I wanted to hear but I was wondering if it had something to do with the stock clutch. The worst part is I'm broke and have no room for a new clutch right now so I guess I will just have to be good and enjoy the improved mpg's that will come along with my new "light" foot...
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

I try to address potential issues one at a time because there is no need to overwhelm anyone with too many things to check. That being said, if the car doesn't creep after depressing the pedal for a longer period of time then you aren't seeing fluid bypass the seals. It could easily be the stock SAC plate if you are in fact still using this type of setup.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebird99
Well I went for a long ride tonight and everytime I stopped I sat with the clutch depressed while in gear and nothing the car just sat there so I guess i can check they off my list.

Not what I wanted to hear but I was wondering if it had something to do with the stock clutch. The worst part is I'm broke and have no room for a new clutch right now so I guess I will just have to be good and enjoy the improved mpg's that will come along with my new "light" foot...
I'm in the same boat, don't have $600 to drop on a decent clutch right now. I have to hold off as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so my next question is why is the clutch/pp giving me problems now that it has new hydraulics? Is it being extended to far and not being able to come back properly? Well I guess the only good news is that I can still drive it and the wife's truck is paid off this month so I'll be able to save for a new clutch quicker.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your clutch had no problems before and then after the slave and master swap you are having problems, that points toward a hydraulic/fluid issue.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ yeah prior to the new slave/master my clutch was fine it never slipped,chattered or hung up and I could speed shift at will then one day I went out and had no pedal.

Quick Reply: Low clutch engagement after WOT RUNS!?!?!