Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW vs Pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've had both - the MGW had much shorter throws than the B&M at the expense of being a little harder to get into each gear. It was precise, but very tight. The first time I drove the MGW, I felt like putting it in 1st gear was just like putting the B&M in 3rd...the front to back throws weren't really different, but side to side is about half of the B&M. When they say short shifter, they mean it.

And at the 2-3 upshift mechanism on the Pro 5.0.
Bastards lied to me! Well this was back in 2005 though, and I was 18, Great times (sigh) lol

Originally Posted by redbird555
not for me... 100% of the time it works 100% of the time, I never miss shifts, I just occasionally forget where the next gear is.

its not really something the shifters have or dont have they are both very well engineered it really comes down to what you like. the pro 5.0 tends to be a little notchy but shifts are precise and positive. the mgw in my experience is a little stiffer, and smoother but I feel more confident when shifting with it and it lets you know when your in gear lol
I do agree the 5.0 does feel notchy. but I am very pleased with it. Guess I just need to test drive this MGW someday and see the difference. Although I doubt I will be spending any money to upgrade on shifters soon lol
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just like you two weeks ago. Caught up between which of the two to buy. I bought the mgw and I love it. I'll never buy another brand. I went from factory hurst with ws6 store short stick to the mgw. Get either one as both are good from reviews. But my first hand experience is with mgw and it's awesome
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Teching In

I have b&m ripper, do you guys think its worth switching to the MGW? Car gets driven on street as well as the track.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AR_96
I have b&m ripper, do you guys think its worth switching to the MGW? Car gets driven on street as well as the track.
Ill let you know in a few days... I ordered an mgw to replace my ripper. I've done a 2-3-2 shift a couple times and I'm hoping the mgw will help with its stiffer springs. I have driven a car with an mgw and I will say it is nicer than the b&m I have
Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
My vote goes for the pro 5.0. I power shift at over 7k and don't lift off the gas and don't miss a shift. Check with guys running in the 9's. My bet would be there all running pro 5.0 shifters.
i ran the b&m ripper for years and liked it but did just switch to a pro 5.0 to try it out and the two times i have been to the track it has felt very good. havent street driven it yet to really get a feel for it
Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a MGW and it's absolutely awesome. there is so little side to side input required with it, you can just slam it back and forth and it locks in the right gear every time.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my ripper and went to the pro 5.0 with Lou's Short Stick. Much better for me. 2nd-3rd with the 5.0 is more of a push the stick to the front of the car and it will go into 3rd. If I think about moving it up and over I tend to miss. Never used the MGW so I cannot comment on that.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Another vote for the MGW. But then again I haven't tried a 5.0. I don't understand the aesthetics standpoint. I have the stock **** and shift boot on mine. There is no part of the shifter showing. The boot butts up against the bottom of the ****. As far as the quality of the shifter, it is a well machined piece of equipment and powder coated to boot. Very nice looking, but it is hidden under the shift boot.

Quick Reply: MGW vs Pro 5.0