Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch bleeding issues.... trying a Tick Master. $0.02 welcome

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Clutch bleeding issues.... trying a Tick Master. $0.02 welcome

Here's the Cliff Notes version of my issue:

1. Installed a LS7 clutch in August 2011. Somehow got air in my McCloud Master Cylinder. Bled the crap out of it over the course of 8-weeks. Never got it perfect, but good enough for daily use.

2. April 2012. Melted the 6th gear bearings on my T56 driving triple digit speed in Germany. Got a replacement "Level III" RPM Trans through VA Speed. Had VA Speed install. Within 2 days was hanging up in gear.

3. Since April. Bled the Master at least 50x. Even bench bled it and used a MitiVac. After bleeding, worked like a dream..... for about 2 days. Then was hanging up in gear and getting a "soft" pedal. If I pump the pedal a few times...works OK. Hold the pedal down for several seconds.... crappy performance and hang-up, especially on the 2-3 shift.

In short, I think I'm getting air into the Master cylinder. No external leaks, but heard bad things about the McCloud unit doing so. My McCloud is now 7-years old with about 50K miles on it.

So, bought a Tick today from SpeedInc. Only concern is the LS7. Based on the "search function", the LS7 is self-adjusting. Hope that won't screw me by changing Master Cylinders. This is my real concern. I really hate to replace a LS7 clutch in great condition (5K miles) because of the self-adjuster.

In short.... think the Tick will solve my issue? Might be pure speculation.... but after pulling my tranny 4x in the past 18 months, I really, really, really don't feel like doing it again!

$0.02 welcome. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tick master with speed bleeder will do it
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tick is perfect for any clutch and actually made my buddies LS7 feel much more responsive... i personally have a Monster Clutch with mine and i wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

I'm wanting to know the same thing really want to buy a tick mc but I'm worried my ls7 clutch want like it. Maybe we can get tick to give us a answer
Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Appreciate the responses so far.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

install the tick master and get the speed bleeder , you will be fine , many others have used the ls7 clutch and tick here . Just get it bled and you will be good .
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

LS7 clutch and our master is a combination we like to use for cars that won't see the drag strip but 1-2 times a year and are making less than or 450rwhp.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
LS7 clutch and our master is a combination we like to use for cars that won't see the drag strip but 1-2 times a year and are making less than or 450rwhp.
Martin, I appreciate the info. The car's currently making in the neighborhood of 420RWHP. It's not a drag car. It's an autocross car. That said, I usually drive it for 20min a time at 4500-6000RPM with pretty violent gearshifts (especially when slowing for a turn). Probably average 50-100 shifts in a given run.

My main concern was that I read the LS7 clutch "self adjusts" and wreaks havoc on the settings of aftermarket Master Cylinders. All the info I've found thus far is when swapping a stock MC for an aftermarket one. Since I'm going from a McCloud to the Tick..... wasn't sure what to expect from my LS7. Hoping it works well.

As per prior posts....I've had the tranny out 4x in the past year sorting out my shifting issues. I really, Really, REALLY hate hoisting that biotch out of the car at home when it weighs 200lbs+. I'm hoping to avoid pulling the stupid trans a 5th time to replace an "almost-new" clutch for proper shifting!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

uhh i wouldnt autocross with an LS7... cant take the heat and high RPM shifting and that kinda punishment
Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
....I've had the tranny out 4x in the past year sorting out my shifting issues. I really, Really, REALLY hate hoisting that biotch out of the car at home when it weighs 200lbs+.
while this won't fix your MC issue...go buy a $50 Harbor Freight tranny jack....worth every penny
Attached Thumbnails Clutch bleeding issues.... trying a Tick Master.  alt=  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE - Installed the Tick MC today. It's a pretty stout unit. Almost a shame it's hidden under the brake booster.

I bench bled the MC before installing. Used the JMP method to bleed the system after install. Have the pedal set approx 1/2" lower than the brake pedal. It passed the "rev" test and engages the clutch around 1" off the floor at this setting.

So far so good. On a 6-mile stop/go test drive it was perfect. Pedal remained firm and the trans shifts very smooth. Taking a 250 mile trip tomorrow into LA to see how it really holds up That'll be the "real test".

Appreciate the comments and help thus far.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Teching In

So how did it do on the trip? I have a ls7 clutch with stock master cylinder and I've been wanting to put a tick m/c in it, since I think the stock one is going out on me.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBMcamaroSSdriver02
So how did it do on the trip? I have a ls7 clutch with stock master cylinder and I've been wanting to put a tick m/c in it, since I think the stock one is going out on me.
Car did great on the trip, aside from the fact I need to adjust the catch point a bit. I originally set the clutch pedal around 1/2" lower than the brake pedal. This is a bit too low. It's notchy at high RPM shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Aside from that it's very smooth and there's been no loss in hydraulic pressure.

I'm going to set the clutch pedal even with the brake pedal this weekend. That should smooth the 2-3 shift at WOT.

Overall, quite happy with the current setup.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Car did great on the trip, aside from the fact I need to adjust the catch point a bit. I originally set the clutch pedal around 1/2" lower than the brake pedal. This is a bit too low. It's notchy at high RPM shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Aside from that it's very smooth and there's been no loss in hydraulic pressure.

I'm going to set the clutch pedal even with the brake pedal this weekend. That should smooth the 2-3 shift at WOT.

Overall, quite happy with the current setup.
Good deal!!!

Very happy that our product fixed your issues!!! We 9/10 set the clutch pedal level with the brake pedal and leave it there. Even though every car will need a slightly different pedal height, it is a great starting point to begin with.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to hijack but since Tick is in here I was wondering if you guys could take a look at my issue:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...t-delayed.html

I'm pretty sure all I need is a tick MC and speed bleeder and it will be good. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Clutch bleeding issues.... trying a Tick Master. $0.02 welcome