Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 SS M6 wont go into gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 SS M6 wont go into gears

whats up guys, ok so i have a 2010 Camaro SS with 37,xxx miles, 6spd, and as of this morning car will only go into 1st,3rd,and 5th gear (it will go into reverse also) but it will not engage into 2cd,4th, or 6th. so all the "top" gears it goes in perfectly fine, and the bottom do not go in. At about 10,xxx miles a hurst shifter was put it, that is the only mod(mechanical wise) other than that completely stock down to the paper air filter, so any ideas on what it can be? I do not drive it hard, clutch feels perfect in the gears it does go into, but as i said, the bottom it just will not engage, the shifter will just go all the way down and hit the console as if its connected to anything at the bottom, but my guess is if the shifter was disconnected it would not go into any gears at all. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated, and dealership wont cover it cause of the shifter, so if nothing else this weekend ill have the stock one put back in then take to dealer but maybe something i can check before doing that.thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by killerbird
whats up guys, ok so i have a 2010 Camaro SS with 37,xxx miles, 6spd, and as of this morning car will only go into 1st,3rd,and 5th gear (it will go into reverse also) but it will not engage into 2cd,4th, or 6th. so all the "top" gears it goes in perfectly fine, and the bottom do not go in. At about 10,xxx miles a hurst shifter was put it, that is the only mod(mechanical wise) other than that completely stock down to the paper air filter, so any ideas on what it can be? I do not drive it hard, clutch feels perfect in the gears it does go into, but as i said, the bottom it just will not engage, the shifter will just go all the way down and hit the console as if its connected to anything at the bottom, but my guess is if the shifter was disconnected it would not go into any gears at all. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated, and dealership wont cover it cause of the shifter, so if nothing else this weekend ill have the stock one put back in then take to dealer but maybe something i can check before doing that.thanks
Please keep us updated on this issue. If you have issues in getting this repaired at the dealer, please let us know. Feel free to contact us privately but please include your VIN, name, situation, contact information, dealership, and mileage. I hope this is resolved lucidly for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Teching In

will do, but would still like to get some input here
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

only thing I would suggest is pulling the console off and examining the shifter. I cant think of anything internal that would only block out 2-4-6 seeing as they are all on different synchro clusters. I'm not sure how your hurst is but a lot of times on t56's the aftermarket shift stops on shifters can come loose and then prevent you from either selecting 1-3-5 or 2-4-6
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2010 is a TR6060, not a T56. The affects of a poorly-adjusted shift stop are the same....exactly what you describe. Do yourself a favor and full back off the stops....that right, make them non -functional. They will do absolutely no good and can cause what you are experiencing & worse.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
2010 is a TR6060, not a T56. The affects of a poorly-adjusted shift stop are the same....exactly what you describe. Do yourself a favor and full back off the stops....that right, make them non -functional. They will do absolutely no good and can cause what you are experiencing & worse.
I knew it was a tr6060 I meant i didn't know if the 6060 had shift stops on their hursts like t56s lol
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon

idk if typo or i am to tired to comprehend but what do you mean by "full back off the stops"? lol saturday on my day off i will take apart the console and see what i can do =D
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are stops so you dont slam the gears(as hard). There are two of them. One on the from of the shifter (1,3,&5) and one on the back(2,4,&6). Usually there is a nut on the back side and a screw set towards the stick. Back the nut off a little and pull the screw out. Not a lot but maybe a half to full turn. See where that gets you. I dont drive or own a new one but am sure its simular. If I am wrong, I am sure someone else will chime in with better info. The hurst shifter might have a thicker shaft than your original stick....lol
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk#317
there are stops so you dont slam the gears(as hard). There are two of them. One on the from of the shifter (1,3,&5) and one on the back(2,4,&6). Usually there is a nut on the back side and a screw set towards the stick. Back the nut off a little and pull the screw out. Not a lot but maybe a half to full turn. See where that gets you. I dont drive or own a new one but am sure its simular. If I am wrong, I am sure someone else will chime in with better info. The hurst shifter might have a thicker shaft than your original stick....lol

oh alright gotcha,i shall try this saturday morning, and the hurst shifter has been on for roughly 27,xxx miles now so figured it wasnt that, but hopefully it is what you all say it is. appreciate the help! i will post up when figured out

Quick Reply: 2010 SS M6 wont go into gears