Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Well my clutch is toast... Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well my clutch is toast... Opinions?

Quick backstory on this car. I originally bought it off my brother who bought it off of a guy who apparently stated it had some kind of "level 3" clutch in it. After having the car for about a year some of the things I was told about the car seem to be untrue. I know the thing was beat on pretty good. I think its nothing but a stock clutch setup.

Well I noticed the clutch started slipping at unusual times a few weeks ago and now its just unbearable to drive. Sitting still its rough getting it into any gear, and in motion its either 50/50 whether its going to shift properly.

Anyways I'm replacing everything. If I'm going to pull the trans and put a new clutch in I'm gonna do it right for a piece of mind. A Tick master is planned and I'm having a hard time deciding on either a stage II or III monster. As well as either the 18 or 28Lb flywheel. Suggestions? I need to get this stuff ordered tomorrow so some quick replys would be great.

Car is mostly stock with the exception of headers/exhaust, and volant ram air. I do plan on heads and cam in the future but not before I upgrade to a 9" rear.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Monster Stage 2 with the 28lb flywheel and a tick master. I have no complaints. Seems to hold well and is light enough that it doesn't give me a calf workout in traffic. Engagment is good but I do get some chatter in reverse sometimes. It's only been in there about 1000 miles though so its probably not really even broken in yet.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like an oem clutch indeed, i would go with a stage 3 just to b on the safe side
Old 05-19-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stage 3 Monster with the 28lb flywheel will be fine BUT since you plan on doing more upgrades go with the stage 3 Monster with the Tick Master. Owner that installed that "level 3 clutch" probably gave it a beating when he had it.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd go for a Monster 2 w/ an 18# flywheel. It will MORE than suit your needs. Hell, it treats me just fine.

Good thinking with the Tick master. Don't forget the speedbleeder. Get it all from Tick. It's a one stop shop, and great prices to boot.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I'm my opinion I hate monster clutches.... But I do love my hays and its a full organic disc and shifts great with a a tick master and a good gm slave cylinder.
Mine with a stock flywheel loves shifting at 7200 plus rpm.... So it's your choice but I would at lease go with a dfx center force
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

ive done alot of research the past few days since my cars clutch went out .. i used to have a stage 3 monster with the 18lbs billet flywheel. it was very good while i had it!!! but now im in college with .. not monster clutch money.. so im going with a ls7 clutch with the ls2/ls7 flywheel .. the slaves they sell at autozone for 69 dollars is the same as he factory (****as long as they have the AP stamp **** ).. .. also the throw out bearing is included on the slave .. make sure you replace the pilot bearing, or you will end up like me with a broken one! gm pilot bearing from the dealer is your best bet. ******************DO NOT USE THE BREAD/ WET PAPER/ PLAYDOUGH/ GREASE METHOD!!!!!!!!****** OR YOU WILL ALSO BE LIKE ME HAVING TO REPLACE MY PUSHED BACK FREEZE PLUG!! use the bind bearing puller from autozone!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level 2 is perfect for heads/cam cars or bolt on cars. If you EVER plan on adding nitrous go with a level 3. If not the a level 2 with a 28lb flywheel is what you need.

Level 2 with a Tick master will work great. A little stiffer than stock but not anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Well my clutch is toast... Opinions?