Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Remote Bleeders - any leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Remote Bleeders - any leaks?

Going to be doing a clutch install, and I want to take the opportunity to put in a remote bleeder.

From what I am reading, it seems this installs with a crush washer and doesn't seal by bottoming out the (AN?) fitting like the OE bleeder does.

While I'd like the benefits of a remote bleeder, I also don't want to risk leaks and other headaches.

What have your experiences been? Does anyone know of a bleeder that seals by fully seating like the OE bleeder? Is the tick the best unit, or are they all basically the same? Tick is $57 shipped. There's another shop that's $20 cheaper and looks very comparable.

I was considering picking up some Loctite 545 pneumatic/hydraulic thread sealant to supplement the crush washer.

All in all, I just want to make sure this will be trouble-free. If it matters, I am planning on putting in a Duralast slave cylinder - will make sure it has the "AP" marking on it.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Had my tick bleeder installed for almost 5 years now and it's never leaked a drop.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. I have installed remote bleeders on atleast 6 different cars and had one on my car when it was six speed and have never seen one leak.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

I just installed my remote bleeder 2 days ago and its already leaking out of the bleeder end. Im thinking of throwing some sealer around the threads and see if that fixes anything.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW, the bleeder end doesn't bother me - I have a Motive powerbleeder I'll be using for the most part to bleed. The "speed bleeder" aspect of the setup provides minimal benefit to me. Worse case, I can put in a standard bleed valve. I am more interested in:

1) Knowing I am not running DOT3 into my bellhousing during bleeding.
2) Not having to jack up the car, and get my chubby *** underneath it to bleed.
3) Having a no mess solution to bleeding.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mullettt
I just installed my remote bleeder 2 days ago and its already leaking out of the bleeder end. Im thinking of throwing some sealer around the threads and see if that fixes anything.
Sealer around the threads won't do anything...that's not how it seals. Just get a new bleeder fitting.

I've installed bleeders with and without the crush washers, and never had one leak on that end. I have had one leak due to a crappy bleeder screw, but that was easily fixed.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've installed bleeders with and without the crush washers, and never had one leak on that end. I have had one leak due to a crappy bleeder screw, but that was easily fixed.
OK, good to know. That's my thought. The slave end, I want that thing sealed and reliable. I don't really care about the bleeder end. The whole "crush washer on a non-machined surface" is making me a little nervous.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Ticks latest bleeder and it hasn't leaked at all in the 10,000 miles I've had it, and it's gone through ALOT of bleeds (I'm picky about clutch fluid lol)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
FWIW, the bleeder end doesn't bother me - I have a Motive powerbleeder I'll be using for the most part to bleed. The "speed bleeder" aspect of the setup provides minimal benefit to me. Worse case, I can put in a standard bleed valve. I am more interested in:

1) Knowing I am not running DOT3 into my bellhousing during bleeding.
2) Not having to jack up the car, and get my chubby *** underneath it to bleed.
3) Having a no mess solution to bleeding.
^^^ x2.

My remote bleeder has been on for 2000 miles, no leaks.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome - I have one waiting on the install. Was very pleased with the product from first glance - seems to be good an solid, and the standard shipping was great too.

Picking up my clutch and the rest of the odds and ends should be arriving via fedex today. Hopefully I'll be able to drive it this weekend!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

There was NO WAY I was doing my last clutch swap and NOT doing one of these.

Mine has been on for 5 years and 50K miles, with not ONE drop of RBF 600 lost!!

Quick Reply: Remote Bleeders - any leaks?