Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

finally went faceplated....love it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default finally went faceplated....love it!

Been on the fence about faceplating my t56 for awhile now. I had a spare trans just sitting around the garage and stumbled across a deal on a new faceplated gear set and pulled the trigger. Built the trans and put it in the car this weekend. This thing is awesome! It's nowhere near as violent/clunky on the street as I was expecting based on what I had been told, you just have to know how to drive and pay attention to what you're doing. I've put about 5 miles on it now and I can already upshift it with almost no noise at all by double clutching. Downshifts require a good rev match to be smooth and I've about got those figured out.....get it wrong though and that's where she'll make some noise! Power shifting at WOT is literally laughable. It's like an arcade game! I could shift the synchro'd box almost as fast, but now the shifts are completely effortless and I KNOW it's going into gear every time. Super happy with deciding to go through with it.

Here's a vid of my first street driving experience and a quick WOT rip up an on ramp at the end. The noise from the trans is echoing in the cabin some, it's actually quieter in person than the vid suggests.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought face-plated boxes you just grab the lever, lift off the throttle a touch, and yank the next gear. I have a Jerico dog box going in my Rambler project. I've done some research and was unaware of the double-clutch business...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

you have to double clutch to drive it easy , no thanks .
Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I thought face-plated boxes you just grab the lever, lift off the throttle a touch, and yank the next gear. I have a Jerico dog box going in my Rambler project. I've done some research and was unaware of the double-clutch business...
You can shift without the clutch, but its hard on the faceplates. Liberty says use the clutch since these are modified stock gears, not aftermarket gears that were made with the faceplates integrated.

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
you have to double clutch to drive it easy , no thanks .
You don't HAVE to double clutch to drive it easy. It just makes less noise and keeps it from banging around so much. Like I said, its not for everyone. I have a pretty loose definition of "streetable" compared to most....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a thousand miles of street driving, I could back off the throttle and ****** the next gear and you never knew. Totally silent most of the time. Downshifting was a bit dramatic at times though. Have to be on your A-game while driving.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aside from the faceplating, what else is done to the trans?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
aside from the faceplating, what else is done to the trans?
Bronze fork pads and I tightened the shims up a little on the input/cluster. I also drilled the case for an oil pump sprayer but haven't installed the pump yet. Everything else is stock. I'll probably put a viper main shaft in it if this one dies.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just remember it will go back into 1st as easy as it goes into 3rd unless you set up some kind of lock out. I Hope your t56 mainshaft holds up better than mine!
the pass following this one the mainshaft bent so bad it broke my tail shaft housing in half.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

thats badass... Im sellin my car this week, But will have another in a year or two, once I get settled in down in Houston... Will definitely be going Faceplated after seeing this... I knew it couldnt be bad... every motorcycle is a faceplated/dog-ring type tranny... And the way i see it, using the clutch IS HARDER on it than just Blipping the throttle and yanking the lever.... there is LESS shock when just blipping the throttle.. You dont have the shock of the clutch drop on every gear change..
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

hell yeah i knew i wanted to faceplate mine....im going back to a six speed in about a week or two so i might just have to tear it town and get it face plated..bad *** man.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Whats the cost to get a t56 faceplated?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Liberty charges ~$750....you send them your stock gears, they modify them and send them back with the matching sliders/hubs.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Doesnt look or sound nearly as un-streetable as people make it seem.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ren987
just remember it will go back into 1st as easy as it goes into 3rd unless you set up some kind of lock out. I Hope your t56 mainshaft holds up better than mine!
the pass following this one the mainshaft bent so bad it broke my tail shaft housing in half.
Ren's cam only m6 ls1 on 150shot runs low 10's 1/4 - YouTube
I didn't realize they could find there way into first easily? I thought 1st 5th and 6th were left syncronized since you typically don't need to get fast shifts into those gears. I'd like to do this at some piont, maybe when my 3rd gets a little worse
Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Teching In

first time i went out and tried giving mine a beating i went 1st, 2nd, went to go get third and just like ren said it went right back into first effortlessly and when i let the clutch back up i found out real quick it was in first hahaha. Most of the time i dont double clutch mine. i just let it clunk a little. just push the clutch in and throw it into the next gear quick. It is not nearly as bad as people say. It all depends on what you want, but ill take a little clunk, and be able to shift through the gears as fast as i can.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Liberty charges ~$750....you send them your stock gears, they modify them and send them back with the matching sliders/hubs.
thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just a heads up on Liberty, they're really slow! Took me 2 months to get mine back. I think I remember seeing that Tick keeps a faceplated gear set in stock for a quick turnaround.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Teching In

For those of you who have done this please give me more detail as in '"street manners". It seems to me as long as you accelerate like a man it shifts pretty firm and smooth. As long as your not stuck behind grandma or in traffic you most likely won't have to doubble clutch or deal with the clunk. As for down shifting, I love to downshift, and this looks great for my style of driving. I mainly cruise my backroads which require frequent shifts. I was told this is only for racecar's that shift above 7,500 RPM. It looks like its only for ppl who really like to shift. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My LS-won
For those of you who have done this please give me more detail as in '"street manners". It seems to me as long as you accelerate like a man it shifts pretty firm and smooth. As long as your not stuck behind grandma or in traffic you most likely won't have to doubble clutch or deal with the clunk. As for down shifting, I love to downshift, and this looks great for my style of driving. I mainly cruise my backroads which require frequent shifts. I was told this is only for racecar's that shift above 7,500 RPM. It looks like its only for ppl who really like to shift. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
It will get old if you DD your car. I suggest you only go face plated if you are competition drag, but even at that you're better off with an Auto.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

i have both and while it can be done if i was gonna street drive my car alot i would put the sync trans in but i love the faceplated one for drag racing

Quick Reply: finally went faceplated....love it!