Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLoed Twin Disc GOES UP IN SMOKE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default McLeod Twin Disc GOES UP IN SMOKE!!!!

The track was hooking really good last night and I was bogging really bad out of the hole because I cant make any boost without load(BEEN WAITNG ALMOST A MONTH FOR MY 2-STEP! HARLAN!!!) Since I was bogging I tried slipping the clutch a little out of the hole, AND SLIP IT DID, right up to the REV limiter and clutch heaven.
I tried to limp the car home but the clutch was slipping so bad it could’nt even make it up the first small hill on the way home, so I had to get it towed.

When I bought the Twin Disc I was under the impression it was the strongest clutch on the market for our cars! I paid a $1000 for a clutch that went up in smoke on its 1st semi hard launch at the track, WTF!!! Im going to call Mcloed on Mon but my guess is they are going to tell me to EAT ****!

Anybody have any ideas of why this happened? The clutch was broken in correctly for the first 500 miles and only has about 600 easy miles on it.

Any suggestions on a clutch that can handle 700rwhp/800 rwtq?

Last edited by ws6rufus; 05-26-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Sounds a lot like what happened to this guy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=822050

Looks like he tried to do a burnout out of a bog and spun the plates. Let us know what McLeod says. I'm putting that clutch in next week.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck, they will blame everything else before they admit it was not their God's gift to the manual transmission clutch.

Did you buy it directly from them or a dealer? Might have better luck with the dealer talking to Red or George than you doing it yourself. They like to play games with your refund if and when you can reach them, they are happy to take your money but very slow giving it back. And will blame everything else before they admit it was their sorry product.

"It failed because of the way you installed it" I am pretty sure you will hear that or "You can't slip our clutch it does not like that"

Good luck but don't expect any help form them.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not having any problems "yet" with my new twin disk however I did have a street twin with an aluminum flywheel that I was promised would easilly hold up to 1000 HP. On my first launch I literally ripped the flywheel into two pieces, McLeod replace it with a steel unit, but since then I have been a little leary of hard launches.

It would be nice if someone could come up with a consistently reliable heavy duty clutch for our cars It seems that QC on these and most clutches are lacking and it's more luck of the draw to get a good one
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

where did the pedal release at before? if it was waaay up at the top then you could certainly have had the master cyl adjusted out too far and the clutch is partially compressed with your foot off the pedal.
either way i dont like those mcleod masters one bit.

good luck getting it replaced. fwiw i have a nearly 2 year old spec s4 ceramic in mine now and its still doing fine.. i put in a brand new s5 iron a couple months ago and after break in it slipped.. they fixed it i just paid shipping, now the old clutch is BACK in the car and still not slipping
Old 05-22-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Mighty,
Hows the streetability on the stage 4?
BTW I had the pedal adjusted correctly. It engaged about 1/4-1/3 up from the floor.
The more I think about the $1000 I spent on the Twin Disc it really pisses me off. I had a $400 RAM 910 unit in before the Twin Disc and I beat the **** out of it without any problems. I put the Twin Disc in when I installed my HD T56 last month because I didnt like the bad chatter of the RAM. The Mcloed drove around own like a stock clutch BUT IT ALSO BLEW UP LIKE A STOCK CLUTCH. It actually blew up worse than a stock clutch. It slips so bad I literally could barely back the car out of garage this morning. When I have toasted other clutches(even the stock one) I was able to still drive the car, just not hard.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 912 Posts

It is very critical to have your TO positioned correctly. This applies to all clutches on all cars. The spring fingers will move up (closer to the TO bearing) as the clutch disk wears. Its very possible that as the clutch got broken in, the fingers were being partially pressed. I am not a big fan of the stock TO bearings. They are spring loaded to keep in constant contact with the spring fingers.

I believe the street twin uses a relatively mild organic friction material. It really is not designed to be slipped too much. The other thing that is not desirable on the street twin is the general construction. The stamped steel covers do not work very well in multi disk applications, since they are not very precise. That is the reason McLeod uses shims. The other draw back is that the hubs are not sprung.

Andrew
Old 05-22-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

I know a couple people in my area that are using the spec4 and they love it. I'm running the spec stg3 X-pad it's the same as the stg4 only the stg3 is a sprung disc. Both the new stg3 and 4 are suppose to hold 700hp. Another option is the stg 3I which is suppose to hold as much power as the stg5 but have the streetability of the stg3. Good luck and sorry about your clutch.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Launching!

My Mcleod is slipping as well. I hardly ever am hard on it and I have less horespower and torque than you. I have had mine for 2 years. They told me there is no way the clutch is broken and that it must be installed wrong or there is some sort of buildup on the plate. Anyway, I am also mad that I spen all this money and its not holding up very well
Old 05-22-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

stg 3 Xpad here its the shiznit.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stage 3i rocks, at least for now, hardly any chatter and it feels almost like you are driving the car with a gm clutch, pretty smooth for what it can handle
Old 05-27-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For that kind of power, look into the Exedy dual disc. A bunch of C5 guys have been having good luck with it. Downside is the expense. I think it's $1500 with flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, balanced. They are rated for 850rwhp or fwhp and are used in the World Challenge cars I believe.

Personally I have the Exedy single, but that's because I only have ~425rwhp.

Dope
Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Many World Challange Corvettes such as the one run by LG Motorsports, as well as the Pratt and Miller built Caddilac CTSV use a Quarter Master 5.5 inch 3 disk clutch.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails McLoed Twin Disc GOES UP IN SMOKE!!!!-pro-5.5.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

There is a clutch call the Exedy that makes and *** out of the Mcleod , and also Luk makes a great clutch !!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

I run the Exedy single as I have mentioned before and love it. I am a little over 500rwhp and the Exedy is smooth on engagement and the shifting is unbelieveably improved.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Many World Challange Corvettes such as the one run by LG Motorsports, as well as the Pratt and Miller built Caddilac CTSV use a Quarter Master 5.5 inch 3 disk clutch.

Andrew
is it designed to fit in the LS1/T56 setup or are they having to make a custom flexplate (I'm guessing it uses a flexplate instead of a flywheel)?
Old 06-04-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
is it designed to fit in the LS1/T56 setup or are they having to make a custom flexplate (I'm guessing it uses a flexplate instead of a flywheel)?
It uses what is called a button flywheel. Its basically bolts to the crank and provides the friction surface, acting as the flywheel. Then a stock flexplate is sandwiched between the button and the crank for the starter engagement. There is also an adapter that bolts to the torquetube and mounts a TriLite release bearing.

Andrew
Old 06-04-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

will it accept the stock T56 input shaft (can I get one and install it in my Camaro)?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that sucks, I have the Street Twin with the steel flywheel and it works great. I called McLeod after I noticed my McLeod Master leaking, and they were telling me how it is supposed to be setup. These masters aren't "adjustable" for engagement, the reason they have an adj rod is so it can fit many year Camaro's, from '03-86 or something like that. You want to setup the rod up as follows, take it off the pedal, let the pedal come all the way up to the stop, then adjst the rod out to the pedal so it just slips on the clutch pedal, then tighten the jam nut and that's it, never touch it again. I had the worst time shifting, notchy as hell, no pedal pressure, etc before I did what they said, now I have solid pedal pressure, shifts like butter, etc. It's supposed to engage near the top of the pedal movement, not near the bottom of the floor, that's what they said.

Just some info for you McLeod adj's guys. Sucks to hear it died, I hope mine lasts.